Oblivion-The best game?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oblivion-The best game?

Is Oblivion the best game (apart from civ)? For me it is. You can also ask questions with other oblivionians.
    Join Civilzationcenter, the home of Age of Ancients
    Now got chat, Demogame, GotM & multiplayer.
    civilzationcenter.com/forums

WTF?

Comment

I would say no. I don't think it even measures up to Morrowind at the moment.
      I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Re: Oblivion-The best game?

Originally posted by Ball Lightning
        Is Oblivion the best game (apart from civ)? For me it is. You can also ask questions with other oblivionians.
        its not april fools day is it????

seriously have you played ANY of the other elderscrolls games, not just looked at and gone "wow those graphics are ugly compared to oblivion - oblivion is the best one", but really played them for a good period of time?

Oblivion is the worst elderscrolls game from my experience of it, and yes i also tried modding it. Its shallow, liniar, small, offers the least amount of roleplaying in the series and after a while most people realise it is ALL about graphics above everything else the elderscrolls used to stand for ie fairly deep, complex rpg games that offer months if not years of great crpg gaming.

Oblivion is a dumb arse console fps pretending to be an rpg imho.

In fact i hate it so much i'd say that Oblivion may well be one of the worst games i've played, in the context of the games that went before it in the elder scrolls and in the context of the HUGE dissapointment i felt after trying to find the rpg through a painfull 3 months of playing the game.

Oblivion is the reason i've given up on future elder scrolls games - and Bethesda(they will kill the new Fallout, just watch).

Oblivion is the poster child of all that is wrong with the games industry imo.

I will conceed that Oblivion may well be the best game IF you mean its got some of the best graphics around and requires the most computer power(read expense) of all others. If thats what you mean then yes i would agree.

there.......that should get the message across

Comment

I'd disagree with the "great graphics" thing as well. Sure it is better than Morrowind, but considering the computing power you need to throw at it to get somewhat decent frames per second, it leaves a lot to be desired.
          I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Originally posted by El_Cid
            its not april fools day is it????

seriously have you played ANY of the other elderscrolls games, not just looked at and gone "wow those graphics are ugly compared to oblivion - oblivion is the best one", but really played them for a good period of time?

Oblivion is the worst elderscrolls game from my experience of it, and yes i also tried modding it. Its shallow, liniar, small, offers the least amount of roleplaying in the series and after a while most people realise it is ALL about graphics above everything else the elderscrolls used to stand for ie fairly deep, complex rpg games that offer months if not years of great crpg gaming.

In fact i hate it so much i'd say that Oblivion may well be one of the worst games i've played, in the context of the games that went before it in the elder scrolls and in the context of the HUGE dissapointment i felt after trying to find the rpg through a painfull 3 months of playing the game.

Oblivion is the reason i've given up on future elder scrolls games - and Bethesda(they will kill the new Fallout, just watch).

I will conceed that Oblivion may well be the best game IF you mean its got some of the best graphics around and requires the most computer power(read expense) of all others. If thats what you mean then yes i would agree.

there.......that should get the message across
            That pretty much nails it.

Additionally, it has a horrible interface, dumbed down to console level, which may please the console kids and annoy the hell out of everyone else.

I played it for 4-6 weeks and then postponed it "until it gets patched", which addressed the completely ****ed up German localization. The patch is out now (beta in July, final last week), the translation is now bearable, and I tried my best to get into it again. I couldn't bear it for more than an hour.

EDIT: Oh, and extra credits to the quoted poster for these two statements, which is really everything one needs to know about Oblivion.

Comment

I REALLY liked daggerfall. VERY fun game. Graphics sucked. I played it for the first time 4 years ago.

I'd place Morrowind as a close second to that and oblivion as a VERY distant third.

Graphics are nicer.

Gameplay and gameworld are poor shadows.

Comment

Oblivion was okay, but like a shallow pond, pretty to look at but not very deep.
                We're sorry, the voices in my head are not available at this time. Please try back again soon.

Comment

Well with that recommendation I think i'll cross it off my shopping list. Although to be honest I never really got into Morrowind.

Comment

It's not a bad game at the start, you can enjoy it for a few days or even weeks. But it wears out quick, and this is very poor for a game of this genre.

Comment

I keep meaning to pick up on this again (though I just bought Warlords). I grew bored of it awefully fast. I don't think I made it past level 6, and I'm not even close to winning the game.

Comment

That being said, I did play for 80-90 hours and did finish the main quest. It is worth the money, although I finished it just to say that I did. I was way bored with it by then.
                        We're sorry, the voices in my head are not available at this time. Please try back again soon.

Comment

I think that in some ways it is worse then Morrowind, but it doesn't have all those dodge quests like 'Go to cave A, find item B, return to person C' for nearly every quest.
                          Join Civilzationcenter, the home of Age of Ancients
                          Now got chat, Demogame, GotM & multiplayer.
                          civilzationcenter.com/forums

Comment

It´s not the best game, but it´s a good one after you install some mods...
                            The Party seeks power entirely for its own sake. We are not interested in the good of others; we are interested solely in power. Not wealth or luxury or long life or happiness: only power, pure power.

Join Eventis, the land of spam and unspeakable horrors!

Comment

Originally posted by Ball Lightning
                              I think that in some ways it is worse then Morrowind, but it doesn't have all those dodge quests like 'Go to cave A, find item B, return to person C' for nearly every quest.
                              Sure it does - you now have the oblivion gates in place of those quests. Now its 'go to the fps wannabe section of the game and rush around hitting LOTS of creatures.......over and over and over again with no change to the way you can achieve the task.'

Morrowind wasn't perfect, but atleast it did give you a proper sense of character improvement that meant something. If your skills were low you would be bad at a particular task untill you improved the skill.

Daggerfall is the real heart of the series, and even with its flaws it kills oblivion as an rpg that really offers a virtual world sized playing area. Plus you have way more skills and stats to improve and customise your character with. For the day the graphics were ok but it was the sound that really stands out above the other games.

It makes me laugh when i look at the elderscrolls webpage(which i dont do very often now) - Its full of ringing endorsements from various sections of the gaming press about how "Oblivion is voted best game EVAR!"

Its like they are sooo desperate to build the hype to hide the real TES gaming fact that its actualy the weakest game in the TES series - infact it shouldn't even be called a TES game imho, its false advertising. It should have been marketed like a super version of Redguard or Battlespire - they are more honest in their action/adventure roots.

Oblivion an rpg? thats pushing it....i couldn't find the rpg even after modding it. stats seem to mater little, character choice seems to matter little as ALL chars can do the same things from the very begining(ie kill things with weapons and use magic).

This thread should be re-titled "Oblivion - The worst tes game?"

Still if some people enjoy it then more power to them

For me in ranks up near the top of my most dissapointing game purchases ever in my 25years of gaming, and i've bought some howlers in that time.

I can't believe the audacity of Bethesda to sing its praises so much on their site, its like over the course of one game they have lost all sense of what the TES games were about???? Of course its about ensuring many more people are lured in to buying it - it must have cost a fortune to make, all that graphical detail and the expensive patrick stewart voice acting.........those things are so important to an rpg after all

And lets not mention the constant repeating npc voice acting - you like to sell all those items you've collected? try not to go insane while the npc for each and every transaction repeats the same handfull of phrases over and over! arrrghhhh!

Oblivion - now my shinny new coffee coaster
                              Last edited by El_Cid; August 25, 2006, 04:25.

Comment

Working...
                              X