Eve Online (sci-fi MMORPG)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eve Online (sci-fi MMORPG)

Anyone here playing Eve Online? I got into this game from the guys at Counterglow and joined the Counterglow corp in the game...it's quite fun, I think.

There's a 14-day free trial available, just sign up at the website: http://www.eve-online.com. Don't need to give billing information or anything. Check it out.

The tutorial is very comprehensive, but you make a lot of money in the process.

Hit me up in-game...I'm Grimaze; the SO is "Neecovant".

(Did I mention it's very pretty?)

Also, from the IGN review (from 3 years ago!)
    At this point I'd like to talk briefly about the one feature EVE has that really makes the game friendly to even the most casual player. That feature is the ability to advance your skills even when you're not online. You have a limited amount of skills to start with, as discussed above, and you also have the ability to buy more skills and train in them as you go along. Each skill takes a certain amount of time to train to the next level, anything from an hour or two to several days. The best part is that this time is measured in real time, not in game time. Your character lives on even when you aren't there to play, making progression through the game that much easier for all players.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

I am playing also. We are about to advance to doing more corp oreinted stuff. It is a good game, if you like sci-fi simulations in a universe similiar to Firefly or Cowboy Bebop or books like Cherryhs or others.

JM
      Jon Miller-
      I AM.CANADIAN
      GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

I like that there is always something to do. Unlike other MMOs you do not have to wait at certain areas for rats to spawn - there are many other methods of making money and that doesn't mean just crafting. Ratting is a good use of your time, especially if you aren't going to be on for long. You can also do missions which tend to be hard for other players to find unless you invite them in, so you can do these safely and invite friends in to help with the mission.

Hmm, have to get back to work so more thoughts later.
        I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Hm, I'd give the trial a go, but I've got enough timesinks in my life in the moment as it is.
          Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all!

Comment

Originally posted by Skanky Burns
            I like that there is always something to do. Unlike other MMOs you do not have to wait at certain areas for rats to spawn - there are many other methods of making money
            Yeah like waiting in an area for your ship to fill with ore, then waiting whilst you fly it around. Of course that's way more interesting that waiting for bad guys to spawn.

Comment

Mining is boring and does require waiting, but it is not the only thing you can do. Variety is the spice of life and all that.
              If you need to minimise waiting, then missions are for you. Missions are easy to get and you can then fly straight into combat. The only waiting you have is travel.

For the carebears amongst us, there are multiple paths to the almighty ISK that don't involve blowing others up. As well as mining, there are courier missions from both agents and other players, and you can get into market trading yourself. Find an item that you can sell for more than it costs to buy, move it from A to B and you get profit! If you are smart, you will spend some time travelling to other regions to get the latest prices on selected goods there so you can trade them too.

Comment

I heard that missions aren't rewarding enough when you start to progress in the game.

Comment

From whom? Courier missions, certainly. The bonuses they give are only valuable to a very niche market.

Combat missions though? They are one of the best sources of income throughout early and mid game. The first few storyline missions (that you do as part of the tutorial) give a very large amount of money, enough to buy a new ship and outfit it well. Then standard combat missions give bonuses for completion as well as bounties on most enemies you kill and (mostly worthless) loot can be sold too.

You may get more pirating other players or ratting in 0.0 (dangerous areas) but for the risk taken, combat missions more than hold their own.

Comment

I guess combat missions are more fun too.

Comment

Well, and honestly the only NPC thing that is more clearly endgame then a tough Level 4 mission is a high level DeadSpace Complex. And those are in 0 space, where PVP is a lot more likely.

I have heard that the standard Carebear in EVE makes his/her money mining or missioning. Its the ones who venture to lawless space who rake in the real dough (either by Complexs or by Mining).

JM
                      (if you have a good mining place, you can make billions of ISK per week)
                      (probably the person in CKU who has made the most money in the last 7 months has probably made less than 1 b ISK total)
                      Jon Miller-
                      I AM.CANADIAN
                      GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

To add to my incomplete list of ways to make money, players can run their own Player Owned Stations (POS's) which can mine minerals from moons and/or do simple reactions with those minerals. These products can be sold for millions each day, although the POS needs fuel and other consumables to keep running, which means it needs weekly deliveries. I mention this because our guild is soon to start building a POS. Despite their acronym, these things are good.

I am also ashamed that none of you have tried this game.

Comment

Why are you ashamed if it's not your fault?

While it certainly sounds interesting, even with a free trial, as long as it doesn't come with a free time offer, I have to pass. MMOGs cost time, and a lot of it. If you don't have it on the long run, you better don't start. Sadly, that's the case for me.

Comment

Eve is somewhat time friendly for an MMO as you train your skills while offline at the same rate as you do while online.

I love the fact that Eve is open PVP with an area that is npc protected for people who dont want to live on the edge all the time
                            Safer worlds through superior firepower

Comment

Originally posted by Skanky Burns
                              I am also ashamed that none of you have tried this game.
                              Coming soon!

I just zipped into Eve's website this morning for a looksee, and I was impressed.

The problem Eve is in the process of fixing is, when a freighter blows up, its cargo floats away creating navigation hazards. So Eve is going to build a "cargo containment field" into each freighter -- I assume to keep all the cargo together in one big bunch. I'm impressed that they came up with a sci-fi concept to fix a game-play problem.

And it looks really purtty.

Comment

Working...
                              X