So what Xmas games did you get?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by child of Thor

That Spartan game has been a pretty excellent find. Unlike some of the earlier games that slitherine have done on the theme(Historic greek), this one is a real tbs game - with all the empire management you could want.

I'm two days of playing into the grand campaign, and it's proveing to be a very addicitive game, if you like historic tbs games that is
    Skimmed through the thread, but... What's the name, Spartan?

Carolus

Comment

yes but dont get confused with the new TotalWar Spartan i put a link to the site in the first post. Its pretty darn good so far.
      'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.

Comment

Originally posted by child of Thor
        @LotM, while i remember - have you tried the Spartan game(by Slitherine)? the more i'm playing it the more its reminding me of EU2, although Spartan is probably less complex in its political model? Still its full of historic events and characters, which is cool for ancient greek fans. Anyway last night as i made the EU2 comparison i thought of you and decided to give you a heads up on it
        no ive never played it. ISTR hearing that Legion wasnt that good, and this is based on that engine? perhaps its improved over Legion, or those who didnt like Legion were just the usual gang who wanted a very complex game.
        "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.†Martin Buber

Comment

No, its more based on the Chariots of War game, which is kind of the same as spartan, just released earlier and set in the ancient middle east. The other games were a bit poor and mostly not real TBS games - this one is. I've started a thread on it that will fill it with more detail as i play the game.
          'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by DrSpike
            Well you should still be playing it.
            civ4 is actually pissing me off at the moment.

All this crap about game balance.

A game shouldn't be balanced. It should be fun.

Comment

Methinks someone needs to have overpowered features so that they can win, and they define this as fun.

Comment

exactly. call me Sava jr. . I haven't cheated at this game yet, but I'm tempted to. You'd think a tech lead would ensure victory, But noooo. We have to play nice and give the backwards nations a chance to win. Screw that.

Technology always wins (and don't even mention Vietnam- we won every single battle).

Comment

[OT]Iraq? Technology can break. Well drilled, motivated men and women can beat that often [/OT]

KotorII has been going down well also from the xmas games list - although its apparantly more 'buggy' and 'rough' looking than the first one? I hope to get a go at it some day

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark

Closest thing to a game for the season was Roller Coaster Tycoon - which i got sorta for myself, sorta for POTM, but mostly cause it was there, ya know?
                    my wife and I bought ourselves the two rct3 expansions, soaked and wild. we'd had rct since release but it ran like a dog on our old computer. Great fun for us over the holidays

Comment

Nevermind.

Carolus
                      Last edited by Carolus Rex; January 6, 2006, 10:11.

Comment

okay civ4 is no longer pissing me off. It seems I'm having a problem with my custom games. It says I'm playing one difficulty level, but I know I'm not. No wonder I'm getting my ass kicked all the time.

So I go back to play new game (instead of custom game) and things are back to normal. I'm not sure what the problem is. Maybe it was that cache problem they originally had a problem with. But I thought the patch fixed that. I heard something about holding down the shift key when starting the game. I'll have to try that.

Comment

It's possible there's an issue with custom games. How are you setting them up difficulty wise? (Feel free to PM the anwsers to these btw) Are you setting every AI to the same difficulty level as yourself? What was your most recent 'new game' created game before the custom games - particularly, was it higher than the level you were trying to play custom games at? Did you check the 'happiness' and 'health' in-city-screen indicators of your cities to see if they gave you the appropriate bonus for the difficulty level?
                          <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                          I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

For that matter, feel free to email me a few saves and maybe I can look to see if they're actually at the difficulty level you think they are ... my user name @ yahoo.com
                            <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                            I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369
                              It's possible there's an issue with custom games. How are you setting them up difficulty wise? (Feel free to PM the anwsers to these btw) Are you setting every AI to the same difficulty level as yourself? What was your most recent 'new game' created game before the custom games - particularly, was it higher than the level you were trying to play custom games at? Did you check the 'happiness' and 'health' in-city-screen indicators of your cities to see if they gave you the appropriate bonus for the difficulty level?
                              I'm not sure how you set the AI difficulty level. Maybe I'm not setting these games up correctly.

I'll give you a link to a thread describing my problems (I kept losing games I thought I should be winning).

I have 2 zip files in that thread. The first one is the custom game with the problem. The other zip file is a file of a old noble level game which I won (this was before patch 1.09 before the space ship parts were made more expensive). The first save/zip says it's a warlord game, but I'm sure it is not.

It's near the bottom of the first page (if you have the default posts per page on)

Comment

oh and sorry for the slight threadjack there everyone.

As for games for christmas. That is why I made that thread a few weeks ago asking what new games were coming out. As I wanted to know what to ask for. But as the result of that thread proved, it's a weak time for games.

There were some games that came out earlier in 2005 that maybe I wanted to play. I was thinking about the Bard's Tale. Even though it looked kind of silly. But I think I might like a RPG with humour in it. Dungeon Siege 2 came out as well. But I didn't care for the first one that much. I doubt the second one corrected the problems with the first one.

Comment

Working...
                                X