No announcement yet.

Guild Wars & World of Warcraft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have nearly 800 hours on GW over 7 months. Bloody good for 20 quid.
    1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
    That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
    Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
    Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

Jamski sighting!
      We're sorry, the voices in my head are not available at this time. Please try back again soon.

Comment

I find the community to be absolute trash in both games.

World of Warcraft is so easy that even a moron can level to 60 - and they do. In great quantities. I'd say that 90% of the people that my 60 Warlock encountered did not want to learn to play.
        Being that the community consists mostly of idiots, the community rejects people who hate idiots - like myself.
        The result is that it becomes mostly a solo game, because I can't for the life of me find a guild without idiots that wants to recruit a known elitist.
        As such, I'd say I've finished the game - having soloed up to 60 and gotten the best loot I could pre-MC.

Guild Wars doesn't suffer from skill-less morons as much as WoW does after you Ascend in the Desert. It does, however, have kiddies that have not developed the mental faculty to differentiate between Trade and Chat, nor how to give or follow orders.
        Managing my own clan became quite problematic, as it was a tedious effort to sift through all the **** players until I found some that could follow orders, learn to play, and who had a basic knowledge of English.

Tomorrow, I am buying Everquest 2.
        I expect to be the most hated person on the server within a month, and so long as I'm not the only one who hates and is hated by n00bs, I expect that I will enjoy it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jamski
          I have nearly 800 hours on GW over 7 months. Bloody good for 20 quid.
          You're welcome.

Comment

480 hours on GW after 6 months and I'm still raring to go.

As for E_N's comments - well, there are idiots everywhere. *shrug*

That's what friends list are for and I've found a guild I'm happy with so I cannot complain.
            Who is Barinthus?

Comment

Just logged in to check my hours and it's 838.

Just over 2p an hour.

Comment

My experience with WoW and the different server types is that PvE servers would attract clingy wusses and a lot of weanies who ENJOY being invulnerable to the enemy. You need a bit more patience to progress in PvP servers, this is a good thing.

PvP tends to attract the tough, hardcore players. PvE is for lightweights, plain and simple. Maturity is approximately the same. The main difference is that on PvP servers the immature prats are the high levels ganking low levels, while on PvE servers they are the low levels mooning high levels. Pick your poison.

The main reason I liked PvP servers though was for the adrenaline rush, there's just something cool about being constantly in danger. And it's VERY cool to actually outwit/outrun the higher level gankers. I remember some hilarious encounters were a high level would gank my druid, then after the corpse run I'd use cat form to prowl around and track them down, once tracked down I'd whine for some reinforcements. ESPECIALLY amusing when the high level is actually babysitting, and when my reinforcements arrive both the babysitter and the baby get slayed (then corpse camped for half an hour), just because the high level couldn't resist killing me .

The final thing I absolutely adored about PvP servers is running into the fellow pacifists on the other faction, nothing quite like a bit of voluntary co-operation . It's just not the same when you're forced to not fight the other faction.

Comment

Hehe, before my friend went off to do his military service, I rolled a female Night-Elf rogue on the server he has a Horde alt on, a pvp server. We took a trip to the Barrens, but alas, I couldn't sneak my level 2 rogue past the npc guards to enter Orgrimmar. Only one hordie attacked and killed me, I guess they were as amused as we were.

You just can't do stuff like that on a PvE server I guess. And I agree, it always gives you a kick to wander around in a high level contested zone, because any moment you could be on the wrong end of an opponent way beyond you in level.
                  Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all!

Comment

I am a hardcore player of all games I play, yet I will be playing a PvE server when I start WoW. It's not that I don't like PvP - my GW guild were the second best guild in Europe, winning Hall of Heroes countless times. However, it is structured PvP with even teams that I like, not some level 60 camping the corpse of my level 10 character.

Comment

Originally posted by Blake
                      My experience with WoW and the different server types is that PvE servers would attract clingy wusses and a lot of weanies who ENJOY being invulnerable to the enemy. You need a bit more patience to progress in PvP servers, this is a good thing.

PvP tends to attract the tough, hardcore players. PvE is for lightweights, plain and simple. Maturity is approximately the same. The main difference is that on PvP servers the immature prats are the high levels ganking low levels, while on PvE servers they are the low levels mooning high levels. Pick your poison.
                      Sorry...

Every time I have been on a PvP server, I have had to leave because of the sheer volume of immature idiocy. The average player age seems to go down by five years. I could live with the constant ganking by people who can't play and most of the other annoyances, but the children are just too much. No one from the other faction or even my own has mooned me, ever.

If PvP servers actually had PvP as promised, they would be worth it.... but they don't. You're a moron if you spend most of your time on one IMHO. Hardcore my ass.... there's nothing hardcore about it... it just takes longer to level because of the corpse runs.

At least on my current server you can go for a couple of minutes without someone mentioning Vin Diesel.

The WoW forums are funny. Basically, the playerbase is thick. At least on Apolyton you have a half chance of people understanding you, even if they disagree.
                      Last edited by Agathon; January 9, 2006, 03:45.
                      Only feebs vote.

Comment

Originally posted by DrSpike
                        I am a hardcore player of all games I play, yet I will be playing a PvE server when I start WoW. It's not that I don't like PvP - my GW guild were the second best guild in Europe, winning Hall of Heroes countless times. However, it is structured PvP with even teams that I like, not some level 60 camping the corpse of my level 10 character.
                        I don't think you can ever get open PvP to "work" in a MMOG. I guess when the game first comes out it's OK, but once the easy exploits become known, the game just develops into a pointless arms race.

On new PvP servers in WoW as soon as one opens some people will power level 24/7 in order to get to 60 first and start griefing other players.... either that or pay a "levelling service" to do the same.
                        Only feebs vote.

Comment

Yes, I also think the success of MMORPGs is largely because of PvE. Everyone goes on about PvP but the fact is unstructured PvP usually has problems.

The exceptions from what I've seen are DAoC, where the PvP is very popular despite (because of?) being a FFA, and games like Eve, where it is just a natural part of the world they have created. For each example of good implementation like that there are 5 bad examples.

For what it's worth WoW was clearly going for the DAoC approach, but from what I've read they didn't get that part completely right. The PvE sounds great though.

I think that the GW approach of separating the two elements of the game with unlocking linking them was pure genius.

Comment

Pfft no player worth his salt on a PvP server spends time ganking lowbies. The honor farming that is the battlegrounds takes care of that. Admittedly you might occasionally be killed or camped, but whilst levelling my warrior alt to 58 or so now I think I have been properly PKed maybe 25-30 times. Which is bugger all in 8 days played really. I don't count even level fighting amongst that (which is part of the game, I mean it does say Warcraft), just much higher level or large groups.

I am in a very nice 18+ guild, we have close contact with another couple of 18+ guilds on the server and everything is quite nice. Might help that our server was a server where a lot of established guilds decided to go (from UO, DAoC, SWG, Shadowbane etc), so that the average age was always likely to be higher.

I played on the DAoC FFA PvP server and that was far far worse than Ravencrest-EU. The only problem I have now is that I can't occasionally kill some of my realm mates

Comment

And yes the PvP system on WoW is severely flawed at the moment. The BGs are more like Unreal-Tournament maps, and honour degradation means if you want a certain rank you have to set aside a few months of constant playing.

Comment

Originally posted by lightblue
                                Pfft no player worth his salt on a PvP server spends time ganking lowbies.
                                And what percentage of players are 'worth their salt'?According to several people, it's not many.

Comment

Working...
                                X