Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by VJ

Fixed

my having a job or not has no bearing on whether or not I will waste money on a game...

I don't want to get into a big discussion about my personal life in this thread, but needless to say, I have enough money saved up to live comfortably and buy GOOD games.

but, having said that... if I had $100 million, I'd probably just buy games instead of downloading them.

but if I were working at a 6 figure salary job, I would still download games...

and why is this thread still open? it is a dupe

To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

I will download the demo and have a check, not boding too well so far for a franchise I have enjoyed a lot throughout the years...
      Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

AoE is a clickfest designed for people too dumb to play TBS games and good RTS games like RoN and EU.

Comment

Originally posted by Odin
          AoE is a clickfest designed for people too dumb to play TBS games and good RTS games like RoN and EU.

have you even played AoE3?

gotta love blanket statements based on no information whatsoever!
          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

QFT

I found the demo highly underwhelming.
            "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
            "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Originally posted by Guynemer

QFT

I found the demo highly underwhelming.
              Try the game.

Comment

Not gonna waste my money or my time. Civ4 will be arriving next week.
                "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Hate to agree with Sava but this is stupid. If you play SP RoN and EU are arguably better games, but for MP AoE2 is an all time classic, and reducing the level of skill required to play such games well to a 'clickfest' just shows your ignorance of this area of gameplay.

Comment

Originally posted by Sava
                    and why is this thread still open? it is a dupe
                    Because my entire pathetic life is nothing but a shameful lie.

Actually because I missed your thread, my bad. And I didn't particularly want to get into a discussion about what is or isn't piracy as well as whether it was right or wrong but hey this is Apoly after all
                    *"Winning is still the goal, and we cannot win if we lose (gawd, that was brilliant - you can quote me on that if you want. And con - I don't want to see that in your sig."- Beta

Comment

AoE3... ehh, AoE3.

I will have to reserve my full judgement to when I spend a few days with the full version, which isn't likely to be too soon. However, so far, AoE3 is a disappointment to me, and I am a fan of the series and a community member for years. Ehh.
                      Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                      I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Originally posted by DrSpike
                        Nothing wrong with a bit of piracy..........you can't buy every game, and many are pants/very short.

I'll buy games if I play them for an extended period of time, or for MP, or if I trust them not to be rubbish.
                        I can sympathize to some extent with the POV that says one needs to DL to test a game out. After all, its not easy to return a game anymore (thanks in part to pirates) and demos are sometimes misleading, as are reviews. and not everyone is willing to wait for months, when the community can tell you how good a game really is. So you DL, and then buy it if its worth the $50(US), and delete it if its worth nothing.

I guess my problem is, what if you DL a game, and find its worth, say, $20? Do you delete it, even though its worth playing? Do you wait till the game is reduced in price to that level and THEN buy it, even if youre not playing it anymore? What I suspect most do, in that instnance, is they play the game, and never buy it. They keep the $20 value. And that, I think, is the moral equivalent of theft.

Obligatory on topic (AOE) material:
                        The two scenario designers I mentioned earlier, who added so much value to the original AOE for me, where Farrel and Imhotep. Anyone interested in how AOE can be used in a historically serious way needs to get their campaigns.
                        "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark

I can sympathize to some extent with the POV that says one needs to DL to test a game out. After all, its not easy to return a game anymore (thanks in part to pirates) and demos are sometimes misleading, as are reviews. and not everyone is willing to wait for months, when the community can tell you how good a game really is. So you DL, and then buy it if its worth the $50(US), and delete it if its worth nothing.

I guess my problem is, what if you DL a game, and find its worth, say, $20? Do you delete it, even though its worth playing? Do you wait till the game is reduced in price to that level and THEN buy it, even if youre not playing it anymore? What I suspect most do, in that instnance, is they play the game, and never buy it. They keep the $20 value. And that, I think, is the moral equivalent of theft.
                          Yeah probably so, but I'm not changing my behaviour. Good companies who make good games still get my money........ones who make average/bad games don't. I do actually think (though this would not apply to all) that in a world where all games were good I'd buy all the ones I played. My motives for pirating are not really financial but more around avoidance of the pain of knowing I bought a crap game.

Ever download an mp3? Record an album off of a mate?Are you also a dirty stinking thief?

Comment

Yeah probably so, but I'm not changing my behaviour. Good companies who make good games still get my money........ones who make average/bad games don't. I do actually think (though this would not apply to all) that in a world where all games were good I'd buy all the ones I played. My motives for pirating are not really financial but more around avoidance of the pain of knowing I bought a crap game.

Ever download an mp3? Record an album off of a mate?Are you also a dirty stinking thief?
                            actually ive never DLed an MP3, no. Or recorded a song for use like that, no. I think its maybe a generational thing.

In any case I would still a difference between making a single copy from a friend, where one purchase preempts at most one or two others, and DLing from sites where one purchase preempts thousands.
                            "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark

actually ive never DLed an MP3, no. Or recorded a song for use like that, no. I think its maybe a generational thing.
                              Wow.

Comment

Wow.
                                Well I DO buy used games, which some in the industry object to, apparently. But I think their case against that is shakier than their case against DLing.

Comment

Working...
                                X