Jade Umpire!!!!11!!!!!!!!!1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by duke o' york
    For those of you who've been through it at least aq couple of times already, which are your favourite techniques? Is it worth saving your level-up skill points to use on techniques that you'll only get later in the game, or do you need them straight off to give yourself a half-decent chance?
    For me, it depends on my character. My balanced Open Palm character for example can just stick with Legendary Strike, and his longsword. I also invest in Paralysing Palm and Spirit Thief. I also make a small investment in Red Minister, although that form makes the final battle way too easy.

My Strength-based Closed Fist character stuck with White Demon. For the weapon style, I waited until I defeated Ravager in the arena to get his double axes. Needless to say, the game got a whole lot easier after that point. I also invested in Hidden Fist and once again Spirit Thief.

My fast character stuck with Thousand Cuts, and I waited until I defeated Crimson Khana in the arena so I could invest in double sabers as my weapon style. I once again also invested in Paralysing Palm and Spirit Thief.

So the answer to the initial question is that my favourite style is Spirit Thief, as it is the one style I always invest in regardless of the kind of character I play. I imagine it will be even more useful when I play my Magic-based character who will be favouring the Stone Immortal style as well (as well as her Closed Fist counterpart with Tempest).

I like the horse demon technique, because you only need to have it for a second or so, and it will cure all status effects you may be suffering. Then back to another technique for the rest of the fight.
    It may be late in the game, but I find Red Minister to be the best shape-shifting style. Not only do you deal significant amounts of damage, and are immune to status effects, but your attacks drain both health and chi. With a few points invested in reducing the Chi cost, you can almost maintain the form indefinitely.
    "Corporation, n, An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." -- Ambrose Bierce
    "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." -- Benjamin Franklin
    "Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." -- Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by duke o' york
      For those of you who've been through it at least aq couple of times already, which are your favourite techniques? Is it worth saving your level-up skill points to use on techniques that you'll only get later in the game, or do you need them straight off to give yourself a half-decent chance?
      I like the horse demon technique, because you only need to have it for a second or so, and it will cure all status effects you may be suffering. Then back to another technique for the rest of the fight.

Closed Fist. Open Palm is nothing more than an attempt to try and get people to try and realize the pathetic attempt at kindness... Closed Fist lets you realize what life is really about.

As for true techniques, I'd say 'Thousand Cuts' just cause T.C. is bada**, other than that, I'd say 'Legendary Strike'. 'White Demon' is totally kick a**, but T.C. looks a heck of a lot better. I'd say max out your initial technique, then go for style. W.D. is good for damage, but is slow, T.C. is fast as heck, but does small kine damage...unless you bust out your 'FOCUS'.

But Closed Fist is faaar more entertaining than the dull Open Palm...
      Despot-(1a) : a ruler with absolute power and authority (1b) : a person exercising power tyrannically
      Beyond Alpha Centauri-Witness the glory of Sheng-ji Yang
      *****Citizen of the Hive****
      "...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis

Comment

Even ignoring the Open Palm/Closed Fist choice, some olf the random answers you can choose in dialogue are great! And the guy who runs the arena has a brilliant line in weird phraseology!

Comment

Originally posted by Frankychan

Closed Fist. Open Palm is nothing more than an attempt to try and get people to try and realize the pathetic attempt at kindness... Closed Fist lets you realize what life is really about.
          But Closed Fist is faaar more entertaining than the dull Open Palm...
          I found the morality system of this game to be quite disappointing. When Smiling Mountain described the Ways of the Open Palm and Closed Fist, I expected it to be something different to the traditional black and white distinction between good and evil. I even saw truth in both ways

But once again, one way is 'good' and mostly involves token acts of charity and a sickeningly pacifist attitude, and the other is 'evil' and mostly involves pathetic acts of thuggery that remind me of a schoolyard bully, or acts that are... twisted and psychotic for lack of better words.

Personally, I don't find either way to be more 'entertaining' than the other. Both sides certainly had their moments though.

I might try playing through as a 'neutral' character and see how that goes. I won't be getting Stone Immortal/Tempest, and at the end there will be the black and white choice just before the final battle, but the struggle to take the middle path leading up to that point would have to be more entertaining than going one way or the other for the whole game.
          "Corporation, n, An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." -- Ambrose Bierce
          "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." -- Benjamin Franklin
          "Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." -- Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro83

I found the morality system of this game to be quite disappointing. When Smiling Mountain described the Ways of the Open Palm and Closed Fist, I expected it to be something different to the traditional black and white distinction between good and evil. I even saw truth in both ways

But once again, one way is 'good' and mostly involves token acts of charity and a sickeningly pacifist attitude, and the other is 'evil' and mostly involves pathetic acts of thuggery that remind me of a schoolyard bully, or acts that are... twisted and psychotic for lack of better words.
            True, there are the extremes of both sides. But with Closed Fist, you can refuse help and not go into sadistic-mode. Gaining C.F. points is interesting and I've found there are more situations when you choose Closed Fist, but you don't HAVE to be a total madman. Smiling Mountain said something like..

...a person refusing help might refuse to help because he wants the other to help themself. Another person walking the Closed Fist style might refuse help because of pure malice. The end result is same, but the intent is different....

Personally, I don't find either way to be more 'entertaining' than the other. Both sides certainly had their moments though.

I might try playing through as a 'neutral' character and see how that goes. I won't be getting Stone Immortal/Tempest, and at the end there will be the black and white choice just before the final battle, but the struggle to take the middle path leading up to that point would have to be more entertaining than going one way or the other for the whole game.
            Your proposal sounds interesting. Sounds like your going to have to do a lot of balancing acts.

I thought about doing this...starting up another game. I'm wondering that after you beat the game on Open Palm and Closed Fist there are bonus dialogues or something. Kind of like the inside jokes that other games sometimes have.
            Despot-(1a) : a ruler with absolute power and authority (1b) : a person exercising power tyrannically
            Beyond Alpha Centauri-Witness the glory of Sheng-ji Yang
            *****Citizen of the Hive****
            "...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis

Comment

Originally posted by Frankychan

True, there are the extremes of both sides. But with Closed Fist, you can refuse help and not go into sadistic-mode. Gaining C.F. points is interesting and I've found there are more situations when you choose Closed Fist, but you don't HAVE to be a total madman.
              True. Like I said, both sides had their moments. It might have been twisted, but in that situation where you 'rescue' that girl from the slavers, there is the thuggish Closed Fist option to sell her yourself. But there is also the Closed Fist option to give her a blade and tell her to kill the slaver herself. It was certainly difficult to fault, seeing as how a slaver would deserve no less, yet somewhat distasteful, as it spells an early end to her innocence (I even read somewhere on the Bioware forums that they had orignally intended on making this girl even younger... now that's twisted).

Smiling Mountain said something like..

...a person refusing help might refuse to help because he wants the other to help themself. Another person walking the Closed Fist style might refuse help because of pure malice. The end result is same, but the intent is different....
              I don't remember the exact quote, but it was more like "An evil man might refuse to help because he doesn't care. Someone walking the Way of the Closed Fist might refuse to help because he believes that they should fend for themselves."

That had me convinced that Closed Fist isn't inherently evil, just misunderstood, and often misused. Not only that, but his statements about "Tyranny from within" supposedly revealed an 'evil' side to the Way of the Open Palm.

I thought about doing this...starting up another game. I'm wondering that after you beat the game on Open Palm and Closed Fist there are bonus dialogues or something. Kind of like the inside jokes that other games sometimes have.
              Well, I've beaten the game as both Open Palm and Closed Fist, but I didn't get any more 'bonus' dialogues than what came in the credits after beating the game for the first time.

Comment

Jade Empire is now 39.99$ in Canada. Its like 30$ off... Mighty tempting... It also means the game didn't sell very well. So there might not be a Jade Empire 2 after all.
                Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

Working...
                X