Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DrSpike
    My favourite RPG is Civ1.
    There's no game in The Sims. It's not a game. It's like watching a tank of goldfishes and feed them occasionally. - Urban Ranger

Comment

Actually, most good strategy games are roleplaying games (in the true sense of the word). Civ isn't a stellar example, though.
      Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Star Wars: Yoda Stories
        Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

Originally posted by General Ludd

Oh... and do you remember Super Smash TV? now there was a good RPG.
          Damn, I was going to say that...
          Despot-(1a) : a ruler with absolute power and authority (1b) : a person exercising power tyrannically
          Beyond Alpha Centauri-Witness the glory of Sheng-ji Yang
          *****Citizen of the Hive****
          "...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis

Comment

Unless he was being sarcastic then I get the joke. If not......
            Despot-(1a) : a ruler with absolute power and authority (1b) : a person exercising power tyrannically

Comment

Well i went back and played all the contenders(that have been getting the mentions here) over the weekend

And my opinion has changed slightly. in descending order we have:

6: DarkForces
              Kyle Katarn is a former Imperial officer turned mercenary, now hired by the Rebel Alliance. After having stolen the Death Star plans from a remote facility, he is tasked with investigating the sudden destruction of a hidden Rebel base. This leads him...

5: Rebellion(Supremacy)
              Take command of the Rebels or the Empire in this strategy game from Lucasarts based around the Star Wars universe. Instead of a command and Conquer style game this is based on taking over planets with Diplomacy and also force. Slowly building up your...

4: KOTOR
              Four thousand years before the events depicted in the Star Wars movies, the political and ideological situation is not much different from what we have seen in the prequel trilogy: the Republic and the Jedi Order are fighting against two powerful Sith...

3: Jedi Knight(Dark forces2)
              Kyle Katarn, a former mercenary and now an ally of the rebels, discovers that he is in fact a Jedi, and is on a quest to find his lightsaber and learn the techniques of the Force. The evil Sith lord Jerec, who was responsible for the death of Kyle's...

2: Tie fighter
              You are a member of the Imperial Navy, eager to fight the Rebel Alliance and other scum to strengthen the rule of Darth Vader and the Emperor. The follow up to X-Wing is a space combat simulation set in the Star Wars universe. There are 7 campaigns,...

1: Xwing(just shades it for me)
              X-Wing is a space combat simulation, the first in the Star Wars universe. From the cockpits of X-Wing, Y-Wing and A-Wing starfighters, players fight for the Rebel Alliance in their struggle against the evil Galactic Empire. Unlike earlier titles in the...

I've decided to try to finish Xwing(and later Tie fighter) - so i might run a thread soon with screenshots and requests for help

So far i'm on my first tour having completed a selection of the training sims etc. Its an awesome game, great atmosphere and great playability, even after all these years
              'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.

Comment

I've never played any SW games as I generally distrust games based on movies... I suppose the best of these games are the exception to the rule that "movie games" suck?

However, now I'm itching to play one of the SW franchise games (especially the X-wing and Tiefighter series, which I've always heard great things about), but there are just too many coming out each year... Judging from this thread KOTOR and space flying sims are worth checking out...

i) Any recent (or upcoming) space flying sims from LucasArts?

ii) What kind of game is Battlefront?

Carolus
                Last edited by Carolus Rex; May 31, 2005, 07:06.

Comment

TIE Fighter

that's right.

i) Any recent (or upcoming) space flying sims from LucasArts?

ii) What kind of game is Battlefront?

None that I'm aware of, at least in the vein of X-Wing and TIE Fighter. There have been flying games, but not like those.

And Battlefront is basically Battlefield:1942.....except with less evil and more Ewok/Jawa mass killing.
                  "Let us kill the English! Their concept of individual rights could undermine the power of our beloved tyrants!"

~Lisa as Jeanne d'Arc

Comment

It's my feeling they'll do another, but the genre is slightly out of fashion in the last couple of years. Plus, there is a lot of demand for light-sabre combat games, because light-sabres rule.

Comment

Originally posted by DrSpike

Plus, there is a lot of demand for light-sabre combat games, because light-sabres rule.
                      Deus Ex satisfies that need as well...

Carolus

Comment

I rented Lego Star Wars for PS2 and you know what? It's a pretty good game. If you liked Legos as a kid and you like Star Wars then you'll like this game. A little short and I wish there was a few more missions but all in all a good game.
                        signature not visible until patch comes out.

Comment

Carolus: Everything reminds you of Deus Ex at the moment.

Comment

Star Wars Lego? I dunno man...

Battlefront is not bad...you get to drive around in AT-AT's in some areas. And being a droideka is pretty fun rolling around on Kamino. But yeah, the plot is kind of lacking but the sheer madness of some of the battles is good fun. I really really like the Battle of Hoth. I was a rebel wookie and seeing those mutha's coming at you is scary as heck.

I'd say play KOTOR. It's a good game worth playing if you like Star Wars.

Kudo's for child of Thor compiling the list.

I played Star Wars Galaxies but as with any MMORPG, the people kind of are jerks. I was a commando that was severely underpowered..but once the developers fixed the profession everyone wanted to be one, while others complained that the commando was too strong. The commando class got 'nerfed' (downgraded) and another profession was "fixed"...only to have everyone complain that that class was too powerful. Repeat ad naseum.

that's why I got out of Galaxies...and I was such a good Imperial commando too. My best memory was attacking a rebel HQ with 50 other Imperial players, all different professions...pistoleers, bounty hunters, carbine people, unarmed Teras Kasi warriors, etc. I was the only commando and they needed me to flip some kind of switch. Everyone was guarding me and I had 2 Imperial bounty hunters (that were player characters) guarding me as we went through the base killing Rebel scum.

Best memory ever.

Lemme see if I can dig up my few screenshots from Galaxies before I quit...

Comment

Me farting around on a volcano on Lok...some bigshot NPC gangster was there, as well as a secret imperial outpost I had to run to. I didn't have a speeder at the time.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Me on Dathomir. I was hunting rancors and got separated from my group. There's these NPC creatures called Dathomir Nightsisters that are brutal...some of them carry these rifles that killed other players in one-hit...while others rode tamed-rancors. There was an Imperial prison on the planet that I visited...that was fun. Trying to outrun Rancors while I was trying to find the prison was fun.

Sorry about the quality...there's supposed to be all kinds of weeds and grass but I turned down those extra bits down to help the game run faster on my comp.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X