No announcement yet.

Progress Is Amazing, Isn't It?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Images worked fine for me ... I don't think you can realistically argue at this point that the X-Box is capable of better graphics than the PC. It may *have* better graphics, because console players have a larger preference for cutting edge graphics than PC players (who have a higher proportion of gameplay fanatics; not high, but higher) ... but, even with the XBox's advantages, PCs just run so much faster, with so much more memory, and so much better graphics cards at this point compared to the XBox ... Just imagine if Oblivion gets released for the regular XBox and not the X2 or whatever.
    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Nuclear
      Actually, I see quite a few areas of dirt, as well as a broken tile.
      Which, due to their inconsistancy and rarity, really only serve to highlight the plasticity and shininess of the rest of the floor and walls.
      I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Yeah IMO not a good pic. Don't see any crud though.

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369
          Images worked fine for me ... I don't think you can realistically argue at this point that the X-Box is capable of better graphics than the PC. It may *have* better graphics, because console players have a larger preference for cutting edge graphics than PC players (who have a higher proportion of gameplay fanatics; not high, but higher) ... but, even with the XBox's advantages, PCs just run so much faster, with so much more memory, and so much better graphics cards at this point compared to the XBox ... Just imagine if Oblivion gets released for the regular XBox and not the X2 or whatever.
          At this point, I would agree the Xbox is not capable of better graphics than a Gaming PC. However, I do not think the PC can "just run so much faster" than the XBox, which does not need a "so much better graphics card" which would cost you as much as the Xbox itself.

Comment

Judging purely from multiplatform games like DX2 and Kotor, I would say the Xbox does have a pretty high graphics standard, but the trade off seems to be incredibly compact levels because they can't cope with size and quality at the same time.
            To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
            H.Poincaré

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369
              No, the reason Star Wars was a huge megahit was the combination of the incredible special effects, and some of the more mundane effects like Darth Vader's voice; add that to the loveable, simple characters and a heartwarming plot that everyone can understand and relate to, and you have a sure winner.
              It's not something usually noticed (definitely not at the time by me), but I've come to appreciate the music more than anything else about the original. Williams gave it that majestic tone that harkens back to Wagner.

Tying this in to the original subject matter, I might have to try my first FPS in a decade (since the original) just to hear what Reznor did with the Doom3 soundtrack...
              Enjoy Slurm - it's highly addictive!

Comment

As someone mentioned, part of the console appeal is the price.
                I've done quite well in my graphics capability to cost ratio.

P166 + 12MB 3DFX vodoo card = £0.00(plays lots of great games like Xcom,MtG,Civ2,Eu2,Imp2,Xwing,Ctp2 etc)

PIII 566 + 32MB GeforeMX400 = £35(for the video card, pc free). At the momment plays Medieval Total War, Hard War, Emperor(rise of the middle kingdom), Theif 1+2.

Xbox = £130, plays most of the current games(bar cutting edge graphic heavy PC only games), and has the best 3D graphics display of all my systems, although the game i play most on it is graphicaly primitive.

And a gamecube, but its been comandered by my gf, so i tend to watch it being played than actually play it

Of those the P166 gets the most gaming use, then the P3 of late with my MTW addiction, and finaly the xbox.

I guess for myself its not all about the graphics, although i do like the xbox's capabilities in that area. Still game addiction for many just doesn't become a simple great graphics=great game equation.

Great games are more than great graphics, believe it or not
                Last edited by child of Thor; April 1, 2005, 17:30.
                'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.

Comment

Originally posted by child of Thor
                  Great games are more than great graphics, believe it or not
                  I do believe you, I've been playing Outcast obsessively these last few days.
                  I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex

I do believe you, I've been playing Outcast obsessively these last few days.
                    but....that has got what i'd consider great graphics too, i thought?

In the year 2007, a parallel universe is discovered by scientists. The U.S. government sends a probe to that universe and learns of the existence of an entire alien civilization there. However, an apparently hostile alien damages the probe, leading to...

They look pretty good?

It was more i was finding the console graphics vs PC graphics arguement to be missing the point a little

ok i'll shut up and get back to my Dragon32 now............where's that hearing horn gone?........and where did i leave that darn spitoon.....grrr
                    Last edited by child of Thor; April 1, 2005, 17:32.
                    'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Comment

• I like the Outcast graphics, but the voxel technology they used limited the resolution to an appalling 512x384 (max res!) and pixels (big, gigantic pixels) were everywhere, specially in close-ups. But the artistic side of the graphics is beautiful, and, to be fair, they created some of the most amazing water effects ever seen.

If you compare Outcast with, say, Omikron: Nomad Soul (which was released in the same year), then you can see the difference.
                      I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

Comment

• ah.....voxels....(wipes tear from eye)

Comment

Working...
                        X