Will Wright's New Game: Spore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CapTVK

*I was keeping this game in reserve for "Name the Game" competition but I guess there's only one person here who would know the answer.
    If you meant me then no.

Comment

Originally posted by DrSpike

If you meant me then no.

Nooooooooo!
      Skeptics should forego any thought of convincing the unconvinced that we hold the torch of truth illuminating the darkness. A more modest, realistic, and achievable goal is to encourage the idea that one may be mistaken. Doubt is humbling and constructive; it leads to rational thought in weighing alternatives and fully reexamining options, and it opens unlimited vistas.

Elie A. Shneour Skeptical Inquirer

Comment

I would rather it have a lot less biological evolution aspects, and a lot more cultural/ civilizational evolution ( NOT like civ. Civ had none of it). Still sounds very interesting.
        urgh.NSFW

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark
          The Sims - constantly atop the charts, xpack after xpack, and now a hit sequel.
          Yes, Titanic was a blockbuster movie too.
          (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
          (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
          (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Re: Will Wright's New Game: Spore

Spore sounds worth keeping an eye on

Originally posted by Bkeela
            I wish he would resurrect his SimMars project though.
            Me too...

Btw, do you know that at simtropolis they're making a SimMars mod for SimCity 4 (and even Will Wright has commented it)... I haven't tried it, will wait til it's done (or as done as it gets)
            This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger

Yes, Titanic was a blockbuster movie too.
              it was an established genre, the disaster movie, and in fact there was an old movie on the same story - A Night to Remember. The Sims established a new genre. And is rather more central to the PC industry then Titanic was to movies, again a much more established medium.
              "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

I'll take a look at it once its ready. In the meantime there's plenty of other fish in the sea. For some short games try out experimentalgameplay.com

Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by Azazel
                  I would rather it have a lot less biological evolution aspects, and a lot more cultural/ civilizational evolution ( NOT like civ. Civ had none of it). Still sounds very interesting.
                  What's more cultural than bacteria?
                  Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

/me shoots Ludd.

Comment

Originally posted by St Leo
                      I'll take a look at it once its ready. In the meantime there's plenty of other fish in the sea. For some short games try out experimentalgameplay.com

Thanks , its an amazingly good site. Better yet, the fun has just begun. Their challenge is to release 50-100 of these single concept games in a single semester!
                      Skeptics should forego any thought of convincing the unconvinced that we hold the torch of truth illuminating the darkness. A more modest, realistic, and achievable goal is to encourage the idea that one may be mistaken. Doubt is humbling and constructive; it leads to rational thought in weighing alternatives and fully reexamining options, and it opens unlimited vistas.

Elie A. Shneour Skeptical Inquirer

Comment

Read this if you want more info. The concept is intriguing. I don't know however if it will amount to a good game.

Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

Originally posted by nostromo
                          Read this if you want more info. The concept is intriguing. I don't know however if it will amount to a good game.

http://www.gamespy.com/articles/595/595975p1.html
                          Yeah, that's some amazing stuff. The thing that impresses me most is the claim that everything, from the meshes, to the textures, to the animations, is procedurally generated. That's really some impressive stuff. Actually, that's the topic of one of the speeches Wright will be giving Thursday - procedurally generated content. (Incidentally, the man that pops up in one's mind at the phrase "procedural content" - Chris Crawford - will also apparently be there to say a few words. So that's shaping up to be quite an exciting talk.)
                          XBox Live: VovanSim
                          xbox.com (login required)
                          Halo 3 Service Record (I fail at FPS...)
                          Spore page

Comment

Yeah, these procedural programming methods are pretty intriguing. From the gamespy article:

For inspiration, Wright looked to the "demo scene," a group of (mostly European) coders who specialized in doing a whole lot with a little bit of code. Their procedural programming methods were able to, for example, fit an entire 3D game in 64K, using mathematics to generate textures and music, etc.
                            64K? Wow!
                            Last edited by Nostromo; March 15, 2005, 03:12.
                            Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark
                              it was an established genre, the disaster movie, and in fact there was an old movie on the same story - A Night to Remember. The Sims established a new genre. And is rather more central to the PC industry then Titanic was to movies, again a much more established medium.
                              Uh, I was trying to point out that just because something makes a lot of money doesn't mean it's good.
                              (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                              (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                              (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by nostromo
                                64K? Wow!

Old news

If you haven't seen them:

Download HD-4K animated, 3D Games phone wallpapers to your iPhone or Android. ✅Get for free!
                                This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

Working...
                                X