No announcement yet.

Will Wright's New Game: Spore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spore sounds like a more personal variant on SimEarth -- a classic 1991 game where you started off with a molten rock and ended ten billion years later after nursing many sentient species to an interstellar exodus.
    Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

Creationists might feel a bit left out with the premise of this game. Perhaps a Christian variant will emerge where you have to manage Adam and Eve and their offspring through human history and into the New Jerusalem?
      Voluntary Human Extinction Movement http://www.vhemt.org/

Comment

Originally posted by VJ
        There's already a game called like this.
        It's called Real Life, ever heard of it?
        Simcity, the Sims - when does Wright do a game that ISNT modeled on some part of RL? And yet sells in the gazillions. Not all games have to be about fantasy, ya know.
        "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger

This is going to be ten times worse than MoO 3, because this Spore thing sounds way too ambitious.

The Sims sounded cool initially too, and it turned out to be turd.

Lets see - MOO3, commercial disaster, bargain binned after a couple of months.

The Sims - constantly atop the charts, xpack after xpack, and now a hit sequel.
          "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark

The Sims - constantly atop the charts, xpack after xpack, and now a hit sequel.
            Perhaps this is how UR defines a turd

Asmodean
            Im not sure what Baruk Khazad is , but if they speak Judeo-Dwarvish, that would be "blessed are the dwarves" - lord of the mark

Comment

Originally posted by CapTVK

I'll take a look at it once its ready. In the meantime there's plenty of other fish in the sea. For some short games try out experimentalgameplay.com
              [/url]
              Some real fun stuff there! Me and my GF really enjoyed tower of goo and opposites attract. If a girl can enjoy it then they have found the secret formula
              Safer worlds through superior firepower

Comment

Originally posted by Bkeela
                Creationists might feel a bit left out with the premise of this game. Perhaps a Christian variant will emerge where you have to manage Adam and Eve and their offspring through human history and into the New Jerusalem?
                Nah they can just have a god mode where they just......win.

Comment

Originally posted by St Leo
                  Spore sounds like a more personal variant on SimEarth -- a classic 1991 game where you started off with a molten rock and ended ten billion years later after nursing many sentient species to an interstellar exodus.
                  They really need to make a new version of that to take advantage of the much more powerful computers we have now, and to update the science the game is based on. For example, the level of oxygen tended to stay close to 21% because of fires, but we know now that the levels of oxygen have fluctuated greatly over the past 500 million years, from 35% (late Carboniferous) to less than 15% (early Triassic).

Comment

Say, does anybody know if there is a transcript / video of that speech on the net somewhere? For one thing, I don't like to rely on sites like Gamespot or IGN or PCMag to tell me what was said, because they often tend to twist words around and say what they want to see in the game as opposed to what was really said, and also, Wright is coming to my university to give some lectures Monday through Wednesday next week, and so I wanted to learn more about what he said, so I could bug him with an actual intelligent question, rather than, uhhh, could you tell us more about Spore?
                    XBox Live: VovanSim
                    xbox.com (login required)
                    Halo 3 Service Record (I fail at FPS...)
                    Spore page

Comment

Ask him when they started developing the game, that wasn't in any articles I read. I would believe him more if the game has been in development for a good chunk of time.
                      I changed my signature

Comment

Originally posted by Snotty

Some real fun stuff there! Me and my GF really enjoyed tower of goo and opposites attract. If a girl can enjoy it then they have found the secret formula

Indeed, it shows you can have as much as fun with simple concepts. This is how many games were made in the 8-bit early 16-bit era. Although there was plenty of crap and imitations/clones in those days as well. Plus the occasional attempt on a megagame. Who remembers "The great space race"*?

P.S
                        If you liked those. You should also try out square off, sort of a version of pong were you have build blocks and throw them at each other in a 2 player game.

*I was keeping this game in reserve for "Name the Game" competition but I guess there's only one person here who would know the answer.
                        Last edited by CapTVK; March 13, 2005, 16:33.
                        Skeptics should forego any thought of convincing the unconvinced that we hold the torch of truth illuminating the darkness. A more modest, realistic, and achievable goal is to encourage the idea that one may be mistaken. Doubt is humbling and constructive; it leads to rational thought in weighing alternatives and fully reexamining options, and it opens unlimited vistas.

Elie A. Shneour Skeptical Inquirer

Comment

This reminds me of SimEarth in a much larger scale...
                          Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                          I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                          Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Re: EVO

Originally posted by GreenCrescent
                            evo the old SNES game?
                            That game sucked...

Comment

Re: Re: EVO

Originally posted by Odin

That game sucked...
                              EVO was a great game.
                              Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Originally posted by Gamecube64
                                Ask him when they started developing the game, that wasn't in any articles I read. I would believe him more if the game has been in development for a good chunk of time.
                                From some of the articles I read on the net, it seems he wasn't just talking, but also showing off some demos of the game, so I understand there's something playable there. But then other sources don't mention anything to that extent. That's why I wanted to see a transcript of the talk, to see exactly what was going on there.

Vovan
                                XBox Live: VovanSim
                                xbox.com (login required)
                                Halo 3 Service Record (I fail at FPS...)
                                Spore page

Comment

Working...
                                X