Will Wright's New Game: Spore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will Wright's New Game: Spore

Will Wright's Friday morning GDC speech, the disingenuously-titled "The Future of Content in Games," was in truth a trojan horse -- the real purpose of his talk was to reveal his latest project, a game called Spore.

Spore could end up being quite literally the biggest and most ambitious game ever attempted. Although it begins at the microscopic level, with players taking control of a monocellular organism in a tidal pool, the scale changes as the creature evolves and grows. The end result: A massive adventure spanning an entire galaxy with player-driven gameplay and design shared seamlessly online among the entire Spore community.

Spore seems to be a concise summary of Wright's virtuosic approach to game design. In tackling the most significant issues and trends facing developers moving into the next generation of games, he appears to have designed a project that gracefully encompasses a wide array of genres while giving players an unprecedented level of control over their game experience.

Sounds intriguing. I wish he would resurrect his SimMars project though.
    Voluntary Human Extinction Movement http://www.vhemt.org/

It does sound cool. I wonder how smooth the transitions between different levels of scale will turn out though. To be honest I've become very wary of these huge promises being made by 'name' developers like Will Wright and Peter Molyneux when the games invariably turn out to be merely above-average rather than stunning. How about not talking your game up beforehand and surprising us, eh boys?
    mssv.net - After Our Time - Six to Start

Comment

merely above average - i cant speak to Molyneux, but i dont think thats the case for Wright. SimCity WAS groundbreaking, one of the greatest games/toys of all time, I think, showing us what this hobby is capable of. I havent played The Sims, and I know most people here dont care much for it, but it cant be denied that its created virtually a new genre (even if that genre is 98% dominated by Maxis) certainly has accounted for a HUGE share of all the PC games sold in the last few years. What has Wright designed thats been disappointing? Maxis has put out some disappointments, but IIUC those were not Will Wright designs.
      "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

this game sounds cool. look forward to hearing more about it.
        "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Looks suspiciously like a Sims style game.

Comment

This is going to be ten times worse than MoO 3, because this Spore thing sounds way too ambitious.

The Sims sounded cool initially too, and it turned out to be turd.
            (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
            (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
            (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Eh, I didn't mind The Sims, but it's not that great. I did think that SimCity 4 was a bit of a disaster really - it still runs slow on a 3ghz comp with a gig of RAM and new graphics card. Plus it's not very fun.

I'm not saying that Wright and Molyneux haven't created great games, because obviously they have. I just think that their output has dropped in quality quite a bit lately, while at the same time they spend a lot of time giving interviews and talks about how great their *next* game will be. Although to be fair this applies to Molyneux more than anyone else (/derail).

Anyway, if Spore is as good as it sounds, it'll be a truly incredible game
              mssv.net - After Our Time - Six to Start

Comment

There's already a game called like this.
                It's called Real Life, ever heard of it?

Comment

Whoa...a lot of skepticism in this thread. It really sounds cool, IMHO. If he can pull this off, he'll have created a really groundbreaking game, and possibly a new genre.

I'm excited.

Asmodean
                  Im not sure what Baruk Khazad is , but if they speak Judeo-Dwarvish, that would be "blessed are the dwarves" - lord of the mark

Comment

EVO

Doesn't the first bit of Sid Meier's game smack a little of evo the old SNES game? I think he should dump that whole evolution junk.

Anyways though the whole idea of starting out as a small town and becoming a massive interplanetary empire intrigues me. God know how many Civilization games I've played where I finished up and wondered how cool it would be to continue exploring past sending a ship to alpha centauri, i.e. Moo2.

Comment

Multiplayer wise though it could lead to problems in gameplay or lack of realism. The first person to develop some critical technology could gain an exponential lead and steamroll over the rest.
                      Visit First Cultural Industries
                      There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
                      Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

Originally posted by VJ
                        There's already a game called like this.
                        It's called Real Life, ever heard of it?

Are yout alking about Spore?
                        Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

I think that was Sarcasm

As for Spore, for the moment its still vaporware. Isn't it great that vapour always seems to fulfill to everyones ideal game?

I'll take a look at it once its ready. In the meantime there's plenty of other fish in the sea. For some short games try out experimentalgameplay.com

I found it mentioned in the "Burning Down The House - Game Developers Rant" (with Warren Spector, Brenda Laurel, Jason Della Rocca, Chris Hecker.) Interesting and frank discussion about the state of the industry right now btw.
                          Jeez, if there was one thing that could make up for missing Will Wright's talk earlier, it's sitting at his feet while this session was delivered! So my mood is slightly improved, although we have to wait between 2-6 weeks...
                          Skeptics should forego any thought of convincing the unconvinced that we hold the torch of truth illuminating the darkness. A more modest, realistic, and achievable goal is to encourage the idea that one may be mistaken. Doubt is humbling and constructive; it leads to rational thought in weighing alternatives and fully reexamining options, and it opens unlimited vistas.

Elie A. Shneour Skeptical Inquirer

Comment

P.S
                            Try out Goo tower while you're there. I've never had so much fun building a tower out of goo. Short, refreshing and sweet.
                            Skeptics should forego any thought of convincing the unconvinced that we hold the torch of truth illuminating the darkness. A more modest, realistic, and achievable goal is to encourage the idea that one may be mistaken. Doubt is humbling and constructive; it leads to rational thought in weighing alternatives and fully reexamining options, and it opens unlimited vistas.

Elie A. Shneour Skeptical Inquirer

Comment

Spore could end up being quite literally the biggest and most ambitious game ever attempted. Although it begins at the microscopic level, with players taking control of a monocellular organism in a tidal pool, the scale changes as the creature evolves and grows. The end result: A massive adventure spanning an entire galaxy with player-driven gameplay and design shared seamlessly online among the entire Spore community.

This sounds like satire. If it's real, I think Wright is getting senile - it sounds retarded. "A massive adventure"?

Comment

Working...
                              X