Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FG: Vampire - The Apolyton University

"Where to?" asked the Taxi driver.
    "Apolyton University Campus, please." responded the man in the back seat.

The driver eased the car out of the airport and hit the gas accelerating smoothly onto the highway.

"Coming back from the Christmas break, huh?"
    "Yes, sir."
    "You a student at 'Poly then?"
    "That's right."

The passenger did not seem very talkative, and it was not really the driver's custom to force a conversation upon an unwilling person, for such exchanges never proved entertaining. So, the man at the steering wheel sighed, took out a cell phone from his pocket, dialed a number, and a moment later was chatting away in a strange language with the person on the other end of the line.

The man in the back looked at the black bushy hair of the driver, and then turned away, his mind drifting away in a world of his own. He was GeneralTacticus, a medical student at the Apolyton University, and he was pondering the study he had agreed to become a part of. Vovan, the professor of psychology, and his collegues from the physics department were investigating human biorhythms and had come to the conclusion that a person's occupation affects his pattern of sleep, and, furthermore, that one person's sleep patterns can actually, through some unexplained mechanism, affect the resting habits of those around him. The former had been corroborated by numerous statistical studies, but the latter could only be proven ...

"We taking the tenth street exit?"
    "Huh?"
    "I said, which exit are we taking?"
    "Oh, yes, that's right. Tenth street would be good."

The latter could only be proven through experiments on real, live people, of various backgrounds. Therefore, Dr. Vovan had gathered a group of volunteers from around the campus, and got their promise that they would every night come to the central facility and sleep there, the idea being that their sleep patterns (which had already been observed for some weeks when the people were not in contact in order to establish the "normal" patterns) would be altered, and in fact, that there would be a certain correlation, which would be determined through analysis of results later.

"Now what?"
    "Go straight two lights, then make a left. Then, go till the firtst stop sign, and make a right. You can let me out there."

The prospect of sleeping in a strange place for several weeks, with a plethor of wires attached to his body to take vital statistics, did not seem all that pleasurable to GeneralTacticus now, and he was even considering calling Dr. Vovan to ask him to count him out.

Presently, the taxi came to a stop, and the driver stepped out of the car to fetch the student's baggage from the trunk. GeneralTacticus parted with some cash and, as the taxi rolled off, was standing all alone on the sidewalk. It was dark.

Then he thought of the advancement of the science, and of the knowledge of the mechanics of the human body and resolved to go to the lab this one night, and if it was so bad, he would quit the next day.

Even as the first ray of the sun entered the windows of the "Sleep Lab", so did a loud, almost hysterical, scream roll along the corridors and enter the rooms of the experiment's subjects. The voice died out with something of a sniff, and was followed by hurried running footsteps. DrSpike, the economics professor, woke up to that rather unpleasant distraction, ripped off the wires of the instruments measuring his pulse, breathing rate, brain waves, and what-not, and with a swift jump out of the bed found himself peering through the open door of his room out into the corridor.

"What in the bloody hell is going on here?", inquired DrSpike of noone in particular.

Almost invisible in his grey uniform against the grey walls was GameCube, the janitor. He was already busy sweeping the floors at this early hour, and, without lifting his head, responded:

"I am sure it is nothing, sir. A nurse must have seen a mouse. If it is anything more serious than that, and if it is of any consequence for you, I am sure Dr. Vovan will inform everybody at the regular morning discussion meeting, which starts in some 30 minutes, I hope you remember."

"Remember indeed." said DrSpike, shutting the door with a bang.

Ladies and Gentlemen, welcome. I hope you have slept well. My name is doctor Smith, and I will be in charge of this project for now. I was Dr. Vovan's chief assistant, but I am afraid he has sustained some thing of an injury last night, and will be unable to conduct the experiment further, therefore, I will be here with you, guiding you, if need be, through our procedures, and giving updates on our scientific progress.

Everybody arrived late last night, and you, people, did not get a chance to meet each other. So, let me introduce everybody.

On the first row of seats here, we have Reverend Nikolai. You know there is a pleasant little church right on campus, and Father Nikolai has been there for quite a long time, offering spiritual guidance to students and faculty alike, in hard times.

Next to him is Dr Spike. He is a brilliant economist, and has contributed many a theory of economic development to science.

Next, we have Dr. Kassiopeia, who heads the International Studies department and specializes in Finnish culture, language, literature, and traditions.

Finally, on the front row, we have here Dr. Ljube Ljcvetko, an endocrinologist. He has recently published a paper on hormonal imbalances in women of menopausal age that was quite well accepted in the scientific circles, and one might even say, stirred up some controversy.

Moving on, we have with us the local attorney, Lord Nuclear, Esq, and the cook from one of our dining halls, Hercules. In the back there are some students, self biased, an undergradute Archaeology student, Snowflake, a Master student of Finnish, and GeneralTacticus, a graduate medical student.

Finally, out in the corner there is Dr. TheBen, a history professor, chatting with our janitor, GameCube. Hello? ... Yes, Professor, did you have a question? ... Well, I am not exactly qualified to elaborate on Dr. Vovan's state of health, but preliminary analysis shows that he had a fatal heart attack. ... What? ... Oh.... Yes, I may not have said it explicitly... Yes, Dr. Vovan is dead, regrettably.

After the meeting, the people filed out of the room, chatting about the experiment, and the fate of the poor Doctor. The incident didn't dampen anyone's spirits too much, however, as they figured a heart attack was the kind of thing that could strike any one, and was not caused by anything in particular, so as soon as the polite period of sorriness passed, people returned to rather jolly moods, especially since none of them even knew Vovan personally.

A few minutes later, the laboratory building stood deserted, as everyone had left for their daily duties.
    XBox Live: VovanSim
    xbox.com (login required)
    Halo 3 Service Record (I fail at FPS...)
    Spore page

The rules:

1. With the exception that in the first night the head vampire produces one dead (the GM) and one vampire, each vampire will have one victim each night, with the head vampire's victim becoming vampires and the other victims dead. (In other words it is more important to find the head vampire, so that the producing of new vampires would be stopped).

2. People choose how many and who should be excuted the next day. The number of people who are determined to be vampires can be more than one, and will be decided by half of the votes. Say over half people voted to excute over 3 people, then 3 people will be excuted.

3. A vampire cannot kill his victim or make him a new vampire if the intended victim is staying with another person. The person who decided to stay with somebody else must PM the GM of such intention. If there are two people who wants to stay with the same person, the person who arrived late will be denied. If the person who is going to be visited happen to choose to visit other people, then the visitor will also be denied. If a person decides to visit somebody who is an unidentified vampire, the vampire will be notified and he can then choose whether he will or will not kill the visitor. If the vampire find the same couple of people on a second night he will be able to kill his victim.

4. A head vampire would die if he couldn't drink blood for 3 nights. A regular vampire would die if he couldn't drink blood for one night.

5. More rules will be added if and when needed.

--

The head vampire has been notified, and so has his first victim.
    Spore page

Comment

Bravo! :applause: Such a great opening.

/me looks around in curiosity. Ahh there's professor kassi.

/me walks toward the good professor with a smile.
      Be good, and if at first you don't succeed, perhaps failure will be back in fashion soon. -- teh Spamski

Grapefruit Garden

Comment

OOC: Great opening! I wish us all good luck.
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ah, isn't it a lovely morning, miss?"
        Father Nikolai gently opens the door and let the young woman through.
        "Snowfalke, was it?"
        "Snowflake" she smiles, before a shadow flies over her face.
        "Sad with the good professor, isn't it?" she says, looking right at the priest.
        "Sad indeed" he replies. "I didn't get to know him well, unfortunately, but I did have the pleasure of meeting him from time to time in town. A wise man indeed, I only hope he got prepared before he died..."
        A thoughtful expresion flew over the father, before he saw up.
        "But here I talk and talk of things I'm sure you have no special interest in! I'm sure you can tell me lots of more thrilling things from your studies of Finnish." he blinked and chuckled.
        "By the way, it's a rare and unusual cross you have there, where have you got that one from?"
        Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
        I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
        Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

My grandaunt gave it to me as a Christmas gift when I visited her at her lake side cabin three years ago. A very curious soul, she was. Married to a Finn (or a Russian?) and had always been so happy before she passed away. She kept many things in her backyard, sharks and bats and polar bears and the likes, and liked to make vodoodolls which the Russian would then take to Father Christmas. I was very fond of her, actually. It's a shame that they never found her body.
          Be good, and if at first you don't succeed, perhaps failure will be back in fashion soon. -- teh Spamski

Grapefruit Garden

Comment

/me notes.
            Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10

Comment

Here what's goin' on here. I said I'd volunteer for this sort of like, psycho recipe experiment.

I was promised the recipes for all sorts of black puddings and white puddings and puddings of colours in between but nobody has even approached me yet.

What with all these professor types around, people look down on us cooks.

Well I tell yah, we're movin' up the celeb list so watch it.
              On the ISDG 2012 team at the heart of CiviLIZation

Comment

Yeah, well I was promised double overtime and a new broom, what do I have so far? Marks from those stupid life sign detector-thingies! This unversity's administration is nothing but cheapskates, they told me I would get my pay prior to the experiment.
                I changed my signature

Comment

the young man standing aloof in the back of the room shook his head, and quickly exited the lab. being a piss poor undergrad student, he was always signing up for some ludicrous experiment or another. the last one was a sociolgical study defining how a a bronze age style legion of spearmen could defeat a battleship. they all provided a little extra beer money, but this was the first that someone actually died on, let alone the lead researcher.

as he walked out into the morning air he lit a khamel menthol and decided what to do with his day. he did have a test in his anthropology course, but he wasn't worried. he didn't really need the class, but took it because it was an easy course for him, fuffilled some strange requirement, and annoyed his ex, Katie Wingate. he wasn't really in any dire situation involving his grades, so he wandered.

he walked out into the pseudo-town of Apolyton, with the sun warming his face, the air smelling of mud and springtime. as he finished his cigarette, he realized he was standing in front of "Sylvia's Syllabus" a combination coffe house and book store. flicking his butt into the road, he peered into the shop, only to find a pair of hazel eyes and maroon bangs peering back.

"well well well..." said an acrid voice as he entered the establishment. "been a while since you've step foot in here, Mister Biased," she said as she wiped down a table.

Self winced. that was Katie. the maroon haired girl was Lola, and she winked at him from behind the counter. the two worked together at Sylvia's, but self avoided the place for three reasons: the first and foremost was that Sylvia's generally hosted a late night LARP and attracted a crowd that was odd by even his standards. there was Lola, who was Katie's boss. she'd would flirt mercilessly with him, even when Katie and he were together, and while he dug the whole tattooed-and-pierced look, she was intimidating as all hell, and Self didn't like the confrontation.

then lastly, there was Katie. while their breakup hadn't been amicable, it wasn't overwhelmingly bitter, either. the two split because she had started hanging out with some mook who called himself Lazarus, whom Self knew to be a notorious lover of other people's girlfriends and wives. while he did trust Katie, he trusted Lazarus as far as he could throw manhattan. he'd seen it done before, otherwise perfectly faithful girls be savaged and left for dust.

Self had given an ultimatum: "either me," he said, "or him." she resented this and left him. he was later vindicated later that night at a frat party when Lazarus swooped in for the kill. she'd refused, making Self happy in some way, but the rift never really was mended between them.

"uh... gimmie a poison on ice," he said. 'poison' was a dozen shots of espresso generally topped off with coffee in a 32 oz mug. "oh, and to go. i need to study for my anthropology test."

"no you don't," piped katie. "you've already thrown the curve for that class so far out of whack that everyone else is failing!" she threw her hands into the air, exasperated. Self laid his debit card on the counter as Lola made his drink, swiped it, and returned with the slip to sign. "it's like that's the only reason you took the course!"

Self picked up his receipt and drink, and stuffed the slip of paper into his pocket. "that is the only reason i took that course," he remarked slyly, and exited sipping his cup of poison.
                  Last edited by self biased; January 12, 2005, 15:19.
                  I wasn't born with enough middle fingers.
                  [Brandon Roderick? You mean Brock's Toadie?][Hanged from Yggdrasil]

Comment

Hmmm ... Seeing that the finnish professor was obviously occupied with his own evil though, snowflake decided not to disturb him for the moment, and to chat some more with the little group of people who were apparently wandering around and were not busy at anything else in particular.

Say, when did you all arrive last night? Did anybody see Dr. Vovan before his heart attack? I wonder if there's something that had prompted that. Haven't heard that he's in particular bad health myself ...

Grapefruit Garden

Comment

"Father?"
                      Father Nikolai turned. It was quite dark in the corridor. He looked up and down, but noone was to be seen.
                      "......yes?" he answered a little unsure.
                      Silence.
                      Then the voice came back.
                      "I have sinned."
                      "It's never too late to repent and get forgiveness, my child."
                      "For me it is."
                      The voice sounded weird suddenly.
                      "What do you mean?" the Father asked.
                      Silence.
                      Then a shadow suddenly flew away.
                      "Wh... Are you there?"
                      Nikolai suddenly felt cold. He went to the place the shadow flew from.
                      Empty.
                      Feeling pale and beginning to sweat, he hastily went back to the room he came from, where some of the others sat talking. Silently, he sat down himself in a corner.
                      A couple of the others looked at him with a unsure look.
                      He sneezed and looked down.

Comment

OOC: Just a reminder that you can express your suspicions now if you wish, as well as PM me your sleeping arrangements if you chose to visit someone. This round will be over within 48 hours of the original post, so about 11 hours from now.
                        Spore page

Comment

OOC: But we have no clue that something's wrong ATM.

Comment

/me was feeling a little strange. There was something floating in the air that she couldn't quite figure out ... Was it the priest? He seemed a little different from a while ago ... And nobody seemed to be eager to answer her question about the time of their arrivals ...

Maybe she ought to go catch the good professor kassi now. But before this, there's something she felt she needed to do ...

Dear Dr Smith, could you give me a little bit more details about poor Dr vovan's unfortunete death please?

Grapefruit Garden

Comment

after wandering in the morning, Self went to the computer labs in the early afternoon. Percy Wiggins sidled up to him as he walked through the doorway. Percy was tall, thin, and so english it hurt. he pulled off his hat revealing a mop of curly red hair, and walked into the staff lounge at the lab. at least it was nominally a staff lounge. it'd become more of a common room of computer geeks who were taking a break from computer geeks than anything else.

"scuttlebutt is that the lead researcher of that sleep program croaked last night," Percy said.

"prolly died of an heart attack. you got the stones?"

"yeah. and the board. didja get a good look at him?" Percy set the board down on an end table, and the two began to play a game of Go.

"dude. dead bodies creep me out."

"yeah, but the intresting part of rumor is that he had a bite mark on his neck."

Self laughed. "so he likes it kinky? your point?"

"he was completely drained of blood, and there was a gouge taken out."

"no way."

"i swear, guv'nor. i buy some recreational pharmaceuticals from one of the interns that was there during the night. the cameras all went weird, like someone smudged a person out using photoshop, badly."

"and so you're saying?"

"strange things happen, youknow? i'd hate to see something happen to you."

"so you're telling me not to go back because i'll be attacked by a vampire?"

"not in so many words. it could be one of those weirdo LARP people over at Sylvia's who's gone all pancake shaped. but i'm saying whatever it is, be careful."

Percy placed a stone, and decisively cordoned off that corner of the board, giving him the game. sure, self could sneak out a stone here or a stone there, but it wouldn't ultimately give him the win.

"i'm gonna go back to the Apartment and grab some nosh. see you tomorrow? same bat time, same bat station?"

"twat. yeah, no problem. you're going back tonight?"

"the study pays five hundred dollars. i need the cash." he said as he left the lounge.
                              I wasn't born with enough middle fingers.
                              [Brandon Roderick? You mean Brock's Toadie?][Hanged from Yggdrasil]

Comment

Working...
                              X