Of special interest:

Best adventure - Sid Meier's Pirates
    Best XPack - RoN: Thrones and Patriots
    Best FPS - Half-Life 2
    Best Strategy - Rome:Total War
    Best Graphics - Half-Life 2
    Best Multiplayer - UT 2k4
    GOTY - Half-Life 2

Interesting... I agree that HL2 had the most beautiful environments, great special effects, AMAZING faces, etc., but Doom3 graphics still looked more realistic to e despite the low-res textures and low-poy models, just because of the lighting and shadowin, which makes the whole thing seem real. Nonetheless, great choices there, and I'd be surprised if anything other than HL2 took the GOTY.
    Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
    I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

The only thing I would really question is the best XPack.

... and best multiplayer.
    Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

It was a bit of a thin year though... sequel hell, really.

-Jam
      1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
      That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
      Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
      Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

And sequels are often the best games!

Comment

Too few good games has been released this year

The best fps game I've played this year was UT2k4, which was great for about a month... I might soon install it again if some good mods are released (I haven't read about any new mods, but I would assume there's some great mods out now)

Hopefully it will be much better next year...
          This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

What's up with UT2k4 really? As far as I understand, UT sequels are just the same deathmatch, CTF + other modes with better graphics every time, what's the fun with that...

I think this year was great... both Doom3 and HL2, two interesting shooters a year is very rare for me. Although next year looks extremely promising with AoE3, SG1:Alliance, Civ4 and TES4:Oblivion all coming out, and all in the second half of 2005, that will be some seriously busy time.

Comment

I haven't played HL2, but for me Doom3 just felt like some SP deathmatch game... nothing special...
              And for fps games, I prefer to play MP (With friends... not just random people on some random server)

IMHO UT sequals are not just the same, 2k3 just didn't feel like UT so I didn't play that one much, while 2k4 was more like the first one

I don't play fps games much though when I play it, it's just to get some quick action where I can set my brain on hold
              I prefer more relaxing games

Was Civ4 set to be released next year? I thought we wouldn't see it until 2006?
              But yeah, next year looks promising. I'm looking forward to the release of Dreamfall (The Longest Journey) to mention one of the games
              This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

Oblivion could easily be 2006. Same with Civ4.
                "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
                "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
                "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
                "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

Civ4 is scheduled for the end of 2005.
                  -
                  AoE3 looks seriously cool.
                  Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                  Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Wanted: Napoleon Total War 2006.

/me crosses fingers*

-Jam
                    1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
                    That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
                    Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
                    Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

Oblivion is likewise scheduled for 2005, so unless there is a delay with Civ4 or Oblivion, both will be out in 2005. Hmm, this year had two games that I wanted, Doom3 and HL2, and three months apart. Next year has at least 4 games that I want (want already, that is), and those will probably come within no more than 6 months.

Comment

Originally posted by Jamski
                        Wanted: Napoleon Total War 2006.

* Jamski crosses fingers*

-Jam
                        Napoleon?

I want a fantasy total war.

Do It Ourselves

Comment

I wouldn't vote for Ron X-pack either, but it's not like there were a lot of contenders this year.

Comment

Originally posted by alva
                            Civ4 is scheduled for the end of 2005.
                            Yup, sounds like a 2006 release to me then.
                            If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

I wonder why MMORPGs never get awards like this.

I think there was good contenders for both best expansion pack and best multiplayer (seems like an obvious choice for that) in the MMORPG genre this year. Maybe even best graphics.

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Working...
                              X