Half-Life 2 is out!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Solver
    Can play in offline mode after you have it already with Steam, without even logging in, which is the fastest way to achieve that. Or, you can always extract the GCF files.
    How can I make it so steam won't log in? We all have permanent internet connections... I just want to make sure valve doesn't detect the same CD key running at the same time and bans me.

Comment

• There was an offline mode option somewhere in Steam, and a good method to make sure is to block Steam with your firewall.
      Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
      I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

• I got the game to screw up pretty good yesterday. Just after the lighthouse, when you are supposed to take the cliffside path, you hear a lot of fighting and that dropship flies off with your car. I wanted to see if I could stop this so I stacked up a bunch of boxes on the cliff path. I then walked out on the cliff to trigger the battle, and ran back in (using the boxes) in hopes to see what was going on.

Well, the dropship was MIA, and so were all the soldiers except the one that's supposed to shoot you from above when you're on the cliff. What I got instead was gunfire... no guns or people, just bullets flying from nowhere. Hooray scripted events .

This is almost exactly the same as what happens on the jungle level of Halo 1 if you ride that ship to the top of the level, then run to the entrance.
        "Luck's last match struck in the pouring down wind." - Chris Cornell, "Mindriot"

Comment

• Not sure if it will be of any help, but here's Gamespot's HL2 performance guide
          Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

• Deathmatch component for HL2 is out. Whoah. I don't like DM, as some of you know, but in HL2 it's all different thanks to physics. Two thumbs up to it.
            Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
            I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

• Wow. I'm in Nova Prospekt, and I have to say,

Spoiler:
              I loves me antlions! I'm probably weird, but I keep 'chatting' with them (= with myself, heh). I used to call them "girls" but now I'm calling them "boys" after they started to do some serious asskicking. The sound of one surfacing through the floor used to be that of terror and fright, now it is that of safety.
              Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all!

Comment

• Originally posted by Solver
                Deathmatch component for HL2 is out. Whoah. I don't like DM, as some of you know, but in HL2 it's all different thanks to physics. Two thumbs up to it.
                I like it, but it needs some better maps. In time I'm sure it's going to be awesome. For now, it is still pretty satisfying to kill someone by throwing a filing cabinet at them .
                "Luck's last match struck in the pouring down wind." - Chris Cornell, "Mindriot"

Comment

• Originally posted by BustaMike

Probably not so well, but I bet it's playable. Processor speed and memory are definitely important, also. This is the first game I've seen where bodies never dissappear and marks stay on walls forever. If you crushed say a sink, then shot a piece of it, that piece would stay on the floor forever with a bullet hole in it.
                  800x600 medium quality, no AA, no AF
                  between 24 and 71 fps

I want one of those nice GF6600 GT for AGP

Comment

• Originally posted by JimmyCracksCorn

How can I make it so steam won't log in? We all have permanent internet connections... I just want to make sure valve doesn't detect the same CD key running at the same time and bans me.
                    There has to be a way to disconnect your computer from the internet. That is the only way to get to offline, AFAIK.

BTW, I occaisionally get the stutter when connected to the internet. I don't recall ever getting it when in offline.
                    http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

• I am amazed by the graphics engine. I get 70-120 fps with 1280x1024, all settings high, 4xAA, 8xAF. The graphics are beautiful as well.

With Doom III, I probably could get 25 fps with the same settings. The AA really kill fps with Doom III.

Far Cry is a bit better, but even its performance falls off remarkably with any AA.
                      http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

• does anyone know where I can get the best price on this game? I'll be buying it for a christmas present.

Comment

• Originally posted by Asher
                          I really wish I was a skilled user, because then I wouldn't have this problem.

Oh, to be a community-college computer-games-diploma dropout.
                          Your hero Bill Gates is a college dropout
                          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dissident
                            does anyone know where I can get the best price on this game? I'll be buying it for a christmas present.
                            Just shop around internet stores. It wont be outrageously cheap anywhere as it's a new and popular game, so I wouldn't expect more than a few dollars difference between the best stores you have.

Comment

• I just finished the game, and

Spoiler:
                              THIS IS NO WAY TO END A GAME! I mean christ's sake, they leave you completely hanging don't they! The enhanced (from now on called "Blue") Gravity Gun was very neat, probably one of the better weapons around, but the plasma balls and guards and computer consoles got a bit old. I would have loved throwing around cars like Dog. I'm going to replay this one one day once I find a cheat code that gives you the blue Grav Gun right from the beginning.
                              Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all!

Comment

• Originally posted by DrSpike

Just shop around internet stores. It wont be outrageously cheap anywhere as it's a new and popular game, so I wouldn't expect more than a few dollars difference between the best stores you have.
                                I just can't believe it was selling for over $50. They are part of the trend of new games raising their prices . I really don't want to pay over $50.

Comment

Working...
                                X