Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DrSpike
    It's funnier my way.

I could change it to "explaining what key features he wants in Sims2" if you want.

I like that better
    This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

For the same reason people play Sim City or similar. The fun is in having control. The fun is in choosing your own goals. The fun is in causing houses to burn down while you laugh without having to hide from the police.
      I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Originally posted by Trajanus
        still someone needs to explain me the goal of this game... why play it? okay you have your sim and you can let him go to work, arrange a date with some chick, he can go and take a ****....
        and ermm... yay I'm having fun??

my brain doesn't understand the purpose of the game!
        The thing is, it's open ended so you can play the game you wont to... building the house is the most fun part

Comment

Originally posted by Trajanus
          still someone needs to explain me the goal of this game... why play it? okay you have your sim and you can let him go to work, arrange a date with some chick, he can go and take a ****....
          and ermm... yay I'm having fun??

my brain doesn't understand the purpose of the game!
          That's very rational. Sims players like a game with no goals and no real content, because that puts them on the same level as someone that is able to achieve goals in proper games.

Comment

Originally posted by Adagio

I like that better
            Changed.

Comment

That's very rational. Sims players like a game with no goals and no real content, because that puts them on the same level as someone that is able to achieve goals in proper games.
              That is a rather strange statement, considering that players who play games without any competition by definition don't feel the need to compete.
              I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Yes, they dodge competition because they are not up to it. Best to level the playing field by choosing to play a game with little content and a small skill element.

Comment

I see it more that those who does not play no-goal games are those without imagination...

Comment

You have to use your imagination to create a game where otherwise there is none.

You may as well save £35 and write a novel or something.

Comment

Yes, they dodge competition because they are not up to it. Best to level the playing field by choosing to play a game with little content and a small skill element.
                      ...Because as we all know, the sole purpose of games is to show you can beat others by massing more units and sending them to your opponent first. Fun has no place in games, it is purely about raw aggression and domination.

Comment

Not at all.......fun is the defining characteristic of all good games. If mowing the lawn on a computer game does it for you, then by all means play that, instead of games where there are real challenges for you to overcome.

Each to his (or her ) own.

Comment

Originally posted by Adagio
                          I see it more that those who does not play no-goal games are those without imagination...
                          You could rule empires, crush puny enemies or solve an interesting (and funny) puzzle like in monkey island, but instead you people watch sims cleaning their house !!

The sims is not a game, because the basic rule in a game is that there must be a challenge, a purpose to what you are doing.
                          In the sims there is no challenge = no game! Maybe the sims is some sort of alternative for people with no immediate access to a reality show on tv!

People with imagination play RPG btw
                          "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie
                          "Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis." - Seneca

Comment

Not at all.......fun is the defining characteristic of all good games. If mowing the lawn on a computer game does it for you, then by all means play that, instead of games where there are real challenges for you to overcome.

Each to his (or her ) own.
                            You are so close to understanding, I can sense it...

Games can be relaxing pass-times as well. There is not much challenge in taking a bath, yet people enjoy that. There is not much challenge in driving fast down a highway, yet people also enjoy that. While challenges can be fun, challenges != fun.

You may have had valid points if we lived in a world where you could play one and only one game ever, but fortunately we do not. People can - and do - play multiple games. Speaking of other games, where is the challenge in playing Monkey Island for instance once you have already completed it?

Comment

Trajanus >>

No challenge in The Sims? Did you actually read what you quoted from me above? Nah, didn't think so... of course there's no challenge in the Sims for those without an imagination... if you don't have any imagination to set your own goals, then I can see how it can't be challenging at all...

Comment

Originally posted by Skanky Burns

You are so close to understanding, I can sense it...

Games can be relaxing pass-times as well. There is not much challenge in taking a bath, yet people enjoy that. There is not much challenge in driving fast down a highway, yet people also enjoy that. While challenges can be fun, challenges != fun.

You may have had valid points if we lived in a world where you could play one and only one game ever, but fortunately we do not. People can - and do - play multiple games.
                                There nothing to understand. I've always said, regardless of my personal preferences, that you should play whatever games do it for you.

It's not fun for me to play the Sims, because there is nothing to the game at all. I also play games for challenge (usually MP), as well as some for more chilled relaxation (usually SP) - it's just my choice of relaxing games are also games with substance.

From posts on this before I know many feel the same way.

Comment

Working...
                                X