FG: Galactic Overlord III Signup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GeneralTacticus
    I think Geo and Chaunk's idea is probably best; it would increase the importance of tactics, while not making the opening rounds the sole determinant of victory. However, I think the rules for destroyed ships would need some revision if we went down this route; maybe, instead of removing all ships of a certain type before moving on to the next, eliminate all small ships first, then then the bigger ones?
    This idea reduces the number of possible orders of battle which is very bad. In GO1 we had only one round of combat with only 3!=6 possible orders of battle and one-sided results were a rule, one of the fleets being completely obliterated while the victorious one left the battlefield without a scratch.

Comment

Don't forget, under Geo's proposal, you have 36 different possible OOBs, which would drastically reduce the likelihood of such events... although that is a point that needs to be addressed. The level of variety would certainly go down compared to Combat 1.2.

Comment

It doesn't. You can put any weapon type anywhere in the OOB you want, and unless a fleet is destroyed outright, losses have no effect until the end of combat.
        The idea behind this is that in real life you don't fight your battles in rounds, but simultaneously. This would mean that you employ tactics and for instance confront your fighters with the arriving enemy torpedoes and similar. The total losses are then calculated when the dust settles.

This is how real life works, but since this is a game, either is ok. It's GM's call after all. And by the way, I'd like to see details such as cooperative victory (bah ) set firm in the rules.

My contribution to the rules is: If you make an allied attack and your ally is stopped by a spy action, you split the spoils in the previously agreed way regardless.

Another contribution: If you attack someone, but fail because of raised shields and your home bases are captured, your fleet is lost in space.

Comment

Yes, but AFAIK, you remove a larger ship of the same type ebfore a smaller ship of a different one; e.g. if lasers were first on your OOB, a laser titan would be removed before a fighter frigate.
          Really? I thought there was an order (set by Jamski), and all the smallest ships were destroyed according to the order.

Comment

Originally posted by The Rules[*]Remove destroyed ships, smallest first, in the same order as the OoB.

Comment

Size took precedence to OOB though. At least, that is how I interpreted that rule.
              I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Well, if so, there isn't a problem.

Comment

I have another contribution. You can specify different orders of battle for different situations, not just one offensive and one defensive order of battle.

Example: I'm attacking Dr.Spike with TTLLFF, then if Geo attacks, my def OoB is LTFTFL and my default def OoB is LLFFTT.

Comment

Originally posted by Skanky Burns
                    Size took precedence to OOB though. At least, that is how I interpreted that rule.
                    Hmm, when Jamski and Smiley were GMs all ships of one type were removed first (according to OOB), starting with the smallest of course. This allowed a rapid transformation of the fleet. Remember, we were allied in that game and we used to completely transform the character of our fleets by building only one kind of ships.

Comment

People only had one size of ship when Jam/Smiley were the GM.
                      I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Exactly.

Comment

People only had one size of ship when Jam/Smiley were the GM.
                          I just wanted to remind you we were allies in that game, that's all

Comment

Heh.

Comment

Originally posted by Ljube-ljcvetko
                              Another contribution: If you attack someone, but fail because of raised shields and your home bases are captured, your fleet is lost in space.
                              Please no! The ships would surely attempt to retake their home bases. The only time when they wouldn't is if there was a combat at the attacked base.
                              Play hangman.

Comment

IMO, there are three possible ways to handle this:

1) An immediate attempt to recapture the home base, as suggested by Chaunk.

2) Similar to what happens when they're hit by a spy: they ran into the shield, so they gave up, went home, and were waiting there when the enemy fleet arrived.

3) Have the fleet itself existing without any bases, free to build more if they can, or try to capture some if they can't.

Comment

Working...
                                X