FG: Galactic Overlord III Signup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh Hell, I'm in again.
    We're sorry, the voices in my head are not available at this time. Please try back again soon.

Comment

Re: #1, I don't like the prospect of a crushing first round either. Perhaps the current system is the best approximation, after all, I can hardly see "real" space battles taking place so that commanders throw only a sort of ship at a time at the enemy.

Re: #2, I agree with GT, the modifiers are alright.

Re: #3, #4

Re: #5, I support this idea. Since the attacks are hardly co-ordinated, it's not possible to tell who will be first until somebody gets there, so it'd do well to randomize it.
      Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all!

Comment

Perhaps instead of continuous damage, we should calculate damage after the first 3 rounds of combat, and also make the OOB split into two halves, each of which contains lasers torpedos and fighters. For example then, TLTLFF would not be allowed, where TLFFLT would be allowed.
        Play hangman.

Comment

#1 and #2: I'm in favour of counting damage and distracting ships each round, just to make tactics very important. At least there is more chance then that both sides have damage.
          But if the majority does not agree to this, how about this: the OoB MUST consist all weapon types in groups of 3, and after that all weapons are used (after 3 battle rounds thus), destroyed and damaged ships are counted and distracted if necessary. The order in which the weapons are fired linked with the formation and distance still have their effect, and battle damage happens more likely on both sides then. So never 2 similar weapons in the first group of 3, and a countdown after all weapon types have fired then.

#3:

#4: I can see the merit of Spikie's reduced base building costs after the 6th, but why not together with it that base 7-12 only adds 4 BP's every turn/base, 13-18 only 3 Bp's? I see it as that the best interstellar real estate is populated after the first 6, and so less 'minerals' can be harvested by the remainder.

Or else, why not 'incorporating' conquered bases by the new empire by letting them increase their BP' from 2 to 5 in a number of rounds (with 6 as max. again for 5 BP's bases)? As we saw in GO II, the last 3 Overlords were the ones who kept building first before conquering neighbours. Let the agressive overlords also have a way to have good real estate in due time.

#5: a randomizer could be that who is the closest in the gamelist attacks the victim first. But I wouldn't automatically let a second attacker starting the battle if his assumed victim is already mopped up. One can always order to press the attack if he wishes so there is no need for this.

Sth that came up during last game: someone attacks, but fails. Another overlord takes in the meantime all his bases. So in essence we have an overlord with quite a number of ships left but no bases anymore. How about allowing such an overlord continue to exist so he can try acquiring new bases by seeking an allied attack or even a single attack?

Another possibility: new order 'attack to the death'. An overlord orders to continue attack untill one of the fleets is no more. To achieve this the OoB starts again after the first 6 rounds are done.

And yet another proposal: put the base cap back on six, but in every battle an attacker can only conquer one base. If there are more attackers on the same overlord then they can all attack different bases, and the 'Huh, bases already owned by another player??' won't happen so offen anymore. Only the first attacker will meet the strongest fleet and has the least change to succeed, and so on.

Edit: ah, I see Chaunk has the same idea regarding the OoB...
          He who knows others is wise.
          He who knows himself is enlightened.
          -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

fighters and torpedos would be launched before the ships got into real danger,so the current combat system is ok.

Comment

O yes, regarding alliances... how many overlords may share victory then? Will we decide a cap on that?
              -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

Can I join?

Comment

I believe you have been pre-selected.
                  ~ If Tehben spits eggs at you, jump on them and throw them back. ~ Eventis ~ Eventis Dungeons & Dragons 6th Age Campaign: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4: (Unspeakable) Horror on the Hill ~

Comment

Oh.

Comment

I think Geo and Chaunk's idea is probably best; it would increase the importance of tactics, while not making the opening rounds the sole determinant of victory. However, I think the rules for destroyed ships would need some revision if we went down this route; maybe, instead of removing all ships of a certain type before moving on to the next, eliminate all small ships first, then then the bigger ones?

Comment

I thought it already worked that way.

Comment

It doesn't. You can put any weapon type anywhere in the OOB you want, and unless a fleet is destroyed outright, losses have no effect until the end of combat.

Comment

I meant smaller ships destroyed first.

Comment

Yes, but AFAIK, you remove a larger ship of the same type ebfore a smaller ship of a different one; e.g. if lasers were first on your OOB, a laser titan would be removed before a fighter frigate.

Comment

That is a good idea, GT. Hadn't worked out yet how ships were removed due to battle damage (was not so important for me as player, the GM took care of that ).
                                -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

Working...
                                X