Neverwinter Nights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neverwinter Nights

I thought it was time I finished off the SoU game I started a while back, and check out HoTU. This thread can serve as a general NWN thread, and also hopefully to answer some general RPG questions. As regulars will remember I decided to play NWN after enjoying KOTOR.

I am playing SoU as a fighter, with Dorna as a pure Rogue. Since I do not have access to spell healing many big fights consist of me guzzling heal potions to stay alive. Is this normal?

I also seem to reload a lot, and sometimes it seems, for example, like I'm just waiting for that will save to work against a mind attack so that I can win the battle. Is this just part and parcel of the genre, or am I missing something?

There also seems to be a lot of resting going on. Constantly I am moving around the screen trying to find a spot the game will let me rest in. Again is that normal for these games?

In my limited experience, the more difficult battles generally have some sort of trick to them, but I'm sure you're smart enough to figure those out.

Other than that, if you are given a potion, odds are you're expected to use it during the game.

As far as resting all the time, that's one thing that sort of bothers me about NWN and other D&D CRPGs. In spite of the supposed urgency of your mission, it never seems to matter if you take a couple weeks clearing a single level.

Basically, your experience is a lot like mine. I often just lower the difficulty after a while, unless that makes the game too easy. There's no real difference to lowering difficulty and reloading/resting all the time. Just a matter of my own impatience.
    John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

As far as resting all the time, that's one thing that sort of bothers me about NWN and other D&D CRPGs. In spite of the supposed urgency of your mission, it never seems to matter if you take a couple weeks clearing a single level.
      I guess that's where the 'roleplaying' comes in... I suppose you should be able to beat the game in very few days... for example: I know people who beat Baldur's Gate II in 34 days, and I know people who take only about 200-300 days at most in Icewind Dale II, but I'm still in Chapter 6 of IWD II and I'm at day 2000

I guess the resting is there for bad players- if you're good and want to roleplay- then you'll do it in the right timescale
      -->Visit CGN!
      -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

ahh good timing.

I had one class I really wanted to play that I haven't played.

So I have started a new Shadows of Undrendtide game, and will eventually move him into Heroes of the Underdark.

That class?

Shifter. Well first I have to start out with 5 levels of druid.

It seems like it might be a more challenging class, but I'm looking forward to it. There will be many forms to choose from. some are better against different monsters. Spellcasters for instance, have low fortitude saves.

I'm currently in level below the bugbear caves about to confront J'nah. I am a level 5 druid. Next level I should be able to take shifter.

I did kind of a weak build. Pretty much everything is in wisdom. I haven't done the math yet, but it doesn't look like I'll be able to get my wisdom up to 30 before I hit level 27. so I may not be able to use dragon form in Heroes of the Underdark. I may have to find a high level scenario to download to use that.

Comment

Re: Neverwinter Nights

Originally posted by DrSpike
          I thought it was time I finished off the SoU game I started a while back, and check out HoTU. This thread can serve as a general NWN thread, and also hopefully to answer some general RPG questions. As regulars will remember I decided to play NWN after enjoying KOTOR.

I am playing SoU as a fighter, with Dorna as a pure Rogue. Since I do not have access to spell healing many big fights consist of me guzzling heal potions to stay alive. Is this normal?

I also seem to reload a lot, and sometimes it seems, for example, like I'm just waiting for that will save to work against a mind attack so that I can win the battle. Is this just part and parcel of the genre, or am I missing something?

There also seems to be a lot of resting going on. Constantly I am moving around the screen trying to find a spot the game will let me rest in. Again is that normal for these games?
          well given your character class, you are going to take a lot of damage from monsters. Although I don't remember my rogue taking that much damage. And I did melee quite a bit. Although I didn't finish SOU with my rogue. But I have finished it with a mage. I don't think I hardly ever used potions. In that case I used the half-orc as my henchmen. I may have used summon creature from time to time.

Is there a golden circlet in this game? I can't remember. That will protect against will type attacks iirc.

Other than that, beef up your AC.

Comment

So far, I haven't gotten too banged up. But I'm a wimp who uses a sling .

Sometimes my dire wolf takes a beating. In tough battles I put barkskin on him (I think it raises his AC- I keep forgetting to check) and greater magic fang.

I also use Dorna. She does okay. Although she died against that fire elemental I think.

Comment

My AC is 23 at level 10 (though it has been for some time) with no shield due to the fact I wield a greatsword. Is that about right?

I'm intrigued about your druid and mage games. Whichever henchman you take you don't really have a good meatshield. Did you use just summons?

Comment

my druid uses a dire wolf.

In my mage I only used Xanos. Although in some tough battles I may have used a summon creature spell.

speaking of: I think I'll play a little right now. I've already decided to smack j'nah down. But I'll get the potion from her first. That battle can be tough at first. And my druid stats aren't real great. But I'm concentrating on shape changing. That's what boosts my str, dext. and const.

Comment

The J'Nah battle was one I meant, even with the dragon's weapon. In major battles like this I tend to be chugging health potions and healing the gnoll allies a lot if I want to win. Of course it's a double edged sword since you lose a round of attack, but better than being dead.

When you used Xanos with your mage I suppose you made him a barbarian?

Comment

Brilliant timing with the thread Spike

If anyone's wondered where I've been, I've been playing NWN online for 48 hours now (still no sleep)

Its THAT good.

Sorry to PBEM people who were waiting, GO orders etc... but this is worse than Evercrack.

The actual interface allows for a wonderful RP experience. *sings*

Sorry, I'm really high on this game... gotta get back to my server. Send me a PM or an e-mail if its urgent.

BTW, the HotU campagin is good, but nothing compared to the fun to be had in world with real humans and a real human DM. No waiting for the freeze spell to wear off - your friends have dispelled it - or you can stand there making jokes "Hey guys, I'd love to, y'know move a bit sometimes..."

Anyway... see ya later 'poly *waves*

-Jam
                    1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
                    That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
                    Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
                    Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

*pops in*

All the MP games are on user made modules FOOL! And are sweet

*pops out*

-Jam
                      1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
                      That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
                      Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!

Comment

I've been telling you to play more MP for ages! Now you are, and you love it. Moral: DrSpike is always right.

Comment

Originally posted by DarkCloud
                          but I'm still in Chapter 6 of IWD II and I'm at day 2000
                          You do know that you can have your priests heal your party when you rest right?

Comment

You do know that you can have your priests heal your party when you rest right?
                            1.) I have no cleric.
                            2.) for some reason the game rests you until you're fully healed... therefore even though I have a paladin- the thing would rest 10 days to fully heal everyone and I didn't have a chance to use the Paladin's regenerative abilities
                            -->Visit CGN!
                            -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

I've been telling you to play more MP for ages! Now you are, and you love it. Moral: DrSpike is always right.

DrSpike is indeed right! Wheeeeeeee! Who needs to sleep anyway? Ever?

I have to say 'poly is looking really "2 dimensional" after so long in a 3d environment. Its rather ODD...

See you soon, my happy shiny 'poly people!

Kisses and Hugs to you all!

-Jam

Comment

Working...
                              X