Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well, I interpreted your clues wrongly, but I suspected one of the mafias.

To be fair, your clues were indeed as clear as mud. I apologise to Mr. Chaunk.

Comment

• Congratulations Kassi and GJRamsey
      On the ISDG 2012 team at the heart of CiviLIZation

Comment

• Congratulations to the two survivors! And Spaced, welcome to the club of the mafia who lasted until the last round.
        Be good, and if at first you don't succeed, perhaps failure will be back in fashion soon. -- teh Spamski

Grapefruit Garden

Comment

• please expalin how each of them pointed to a certain mafia... just for us thick posters...
          GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71

Comment

• Well you learnt have, young Jedi.

-Jam
            1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
            That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
            Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
            Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

• The number of stabs and the weapons were the creation of that most excellent mafia Spaced Cowboy, and I simply added some appropriate cabin numbers. The numbers meant absolutely nothing, and I hinted at this when I said that there would be no more clues after Chapter Ten, yet there was still a Columbo stabbing.

Well played to both of the mafia, and congratulations at having got so far.
              Well done to both survivors, especially for independently voting for Spaced at the same time. I knew that whoever received the first vote would die in the final round, but for both votes to come at the same time was pretty impressive.

Comment

• Congrats to the survivors.

Comment

• Originally posted by duke o' york
                  Chapter One – “coming to…… Olympic”: Hercules
                  already solved this one. It was just to narrow the field and let you know that one of the mafia was American.
                  Pffft.

Chapter Two – Wisps of brown material. This was pipe tobacco. Someone mentioned Miss Marple’s handbag, but leather isn’t wispy.
                  DUH! This was a no-brainer, should've gotten this one.

Chapter Three – Miss Marple almost hit by a banger. HongHu playing King Albert solitaire – Simenon was Belgian. gjramsey kicks something into the river. It wasn’t a tennis ball, it was an apple. As in Mac!

Chapter Four – HongHu playing Pairs (anagram of Paris). Playing card: “Sweet Peg, thou shalt be my Summer’s Queen,” from Thomas Dekker’s The Merry Month of May – see Miss Marple’s and “nobody was thinking about poetry” when Nuclear Master died.
                  May?

Chapter Five – HongHu plays Ugly. The ugly man on the pile of gold on the card was Rumpelstiltskin – nobody knew his name.
                  Ooh, nice one. Very nice. Great clue.

Chapter Six – White Horse whisky. A white horse is called a grey in racing.
                  Grey? His trenchcoat or something?

Chapter Seven – Obelisk in the desert. Also in the Place de la Concorde. Almond-shaped piece of paper was a map of Sri Lanka, with its capital clearly marked – Colombo.
                  That was a really great one. Too bad I didn't come across any maps of Sri Lanka during the game.

Chapter Eight – String of jewels points to M. l’inspecteur Jules Maigret.
                  Edit: nevermind. Jules. Jewels.

Chapter Nine – An apostle fork???? But who is the most famous fork apostle? Peter Falk?

Chapter Ten – A sticky plaster? Of Paris?

Inspired but Jamski’s Roman Mafia game, I also played a little game with the name of one of the mafia. Fortunately he lasted for ages, so I was able to include all of the letters in his username as the first letters of words that were scored out in my posts. Despite making this really obvious (see C and O), nobody got any of this.
                  Not bad either. Nonetheless,
                  Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all!

Comment

• Good to know I'm not the only one who's clueless about those explenations of clues...
                    This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

• Ras:
                      Columbo: is American, drives an old, beat-up car (banger), wears a mac, isn't great looking, no-one knows his first name, has a similar surname to the capital of Sri Lanka, and was played in the TV series by Peter Falk. Actually, Zopp's dying words were also a massive hint. They were something like: "Just one more thing," a catchphrase from the TV show.

Maigret: smokes a pipe, his author was Belgian, he was from Paris, pronounced "May Grey", and had the first name Jules.

Comment

• It would have required quite a bit of background information. Maigret's first name, Simenon's nationality, the fact that Columbo's first name was never divulged, that Sri Lanka's capital is Colombo, and so on. Some of this I knew, but couldn't make the connection, but stuff like the fork apostle just fly right over my head.

Actually, Zopp's dying words were also a massive hint. They were something like: "Just one more thing," a catchphrase from the TV show.
                        Too many years since I last watched Columbo. That's what I meant with "seems harmless until the very end". He's about to walk out of the door or whatever, and then he turns around with his cigar in hand, and says "Just one more thing"... love it.
                        Last edited by Kassiopeia; June 4, 2004, 10:50.
                        Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all!

Comment

• I agree with Kass' impressions of the clues. Some really good ones hidden in the messages. Still not sure how the Olympic pointed to an American

Zopp's dying words were also a massive hint. They were something like: "Just one more thing," a catchphrase from the TV show.
                          :smacks head: can't belive that was missed!

Comment

• Well if you followed the link on Hercules' name, then you would have learned that the Olympic was the sister ship to the Titanic, and would have been plying the route from New York to Liverpool in 1925.

Comment

• Originally posted by duke o' york
                              Chapter One – “coming to…… Olympic”: Hercules
                              already solved this one. It was just to narrow the field and let you know that one of the mafia was American.
                              how was this definatly an american... ?

Chapter Two – Wisps of brown material. This was pipe tobacco. Someone mentioned Miss Marple’s handbag, but leather isn’t wispy.
                              not enough information to say it was pipe so cant link it to anyone

Chapter Three – Miss Marple almost hit by a banger. HongHu playing King Albert solitaire – Simenon was Belgian. gjramsey kicks something into the river. It wasn’t a tennis ball, it was an apple. As in Mac!
                              wel ldone on making those very abstract......

Chapter Four – HongHu playing Pairs (anagram of Paris). Playing card: “Sweet Peg, thou shalt be my Summer’s Queen,” from Thomas Dekker’s The Merry Month of May – see Miss Marple’s and “nobody was thinking about poetry” when Nuclear Master died.
                              hmmmmmm , me thinks we ar elucky our docpilers are good....

Chapter Five – HongHu plays Ugly. The ugly man on the pile of gold on the card was Rumpelstiltskin – nobody knew his name.
                              your obviosuly a columbo expert

Chapter Six – White Horse whisky. A white horse is called a grey in racing.
                              hmm ok maybe that almost is a clue that we should have seen

Chapter Seven – Obelisk in the desert. Also in the Place de la Concorde. Almond-shaped piece of paper was a map of Sri Lanka, with its capital clearly marked – Colombo.
                              umm no way could we guess that was a coutnry map

Chapter Eight – String of jewels points to M. l’inspecteur Jules Maigret.
                              very well hidden again ...

Chapter Nine – An apostle fork???? But who is the most famous fork apostle? Peter Falk?
                              you are defient y too clevr .....

Chapter Ten – A sticky plaster? Of Paris?
                              yep

Chapter Eleven – No more clues.
                              well we didnt get the first ten chapters we needed more
                              GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71

Comment

• To tell the truth, I know nothing about all of the information that are relied upon to solve the clues.

Although, if it was Miss Marple or Poirot, things may be very different.
                                Be good, and if at first you don't succeed, perhaps failure will be back in fashion soon. -- teh Spamski

Grapefruit Garden

Comment

Working...
                                X