X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by mapfi
    That was it - thanks.

Martin, here's the savegame - if you conquer the orange player, the game crashes just after it kills the remaining orange phalanx
    So did I and nothing happened.

Originally posted by mapfi
    here's another playtest - with this one, it seems not to matter wheather I max the sliders for food and work both to totally unhappy or both to happy. the resulting happyness stays around 72 for each city...
    Actually, I only achieve an average happiness of 72, if I give them maximum food and wages and minimum work, if I move the sliders into the other direction I get an average happiness of 67. Considering that you are three cities above the city limit and that you have lost your capital it is no wonder that you are 6 happiness points below what it could be. Probably some temples in your cities would help, and also the Ramajana, well if you could build it in a reasonable time.

Looks like you went in trouble when Rome was destroyed. Now you have to figure out how you can deal with it it or start a new game.

-Martin
    Civ2 military advisor: "No complaints, Sir!"

Comment

• Originally posted by Martin Gühmann
      So did I and nothing happened.
      hm, weird... can I help by providing some other file from after a crash? seem to remember there was something about a crash.txt?

Actually, I only achieve an average happiness of 72, if I give them maximum food and wages and minimum work, if I move the sliders into the other direction I get an average happiness of 67. Considering that you are three cities above the city limit and that you have lost your capital it is no wonder that you are 6 happiness points below what it could be. Probably some temples in your cities would help, and also the Ramajana, well if you could build it in a reasonable time.

Looks like you went in trouble when Rome was destroyed. Now you have to figure out how you can deal with it it or start a new game.

-Martin
      I didn't claim I played well - haven't played for three years! But on my installation the happyness stays at 72 no matter which way I move the food & work sliders (keeping the wages slider at maximum wage).
      Last edited by mapfi; July 22, 2008, 16:04.

Comment

hm, weird... can I help by providing some other file from after a crash? seem to remember there was something about a crash.txt?
        The crash.txt is in ..\ctp2_program\ctp\logs\ if you have enabled logging in the userprofile.txt. When you recovered the crash.txt you can test whether you can reproduce the crash on your system, since if you even can't reproduce the crash, so I can't , either.

Originally posted by mapfi
        I didn't claim I played well - haven't played for three years! But on my installation the happyness stays at 72 no matter which way I move the food & work sliders (keeping the wages slider at maximum wage).
        Well, this description is more precise and indeed I can reproduce it, however I don't see it in other save games I have. Another thing is that the crime isn't handled correctly, too.

-Martin

Comment

• Martin, see below - no problem in reproducing the crash. Does that help?

Version 2008-05-23
          0x00415560 [?DrawSpecialIndicators@UnitActor@@QAEXAAH0H@Z + 0x110]
          0x00414dae [?DrawHealthBar@UnitActor@@QAEXXZ + 0x40e]
          0x004147a9 [?Draw@UnitActor@@QAE_N_N@Z + 0x349]
          0x0043d283 [?PaintUnitActor@TiledMap@@QAEXPAVUnitActor@@_N@Z + 0x43]
          0x0042c744 [?DrawActiveUnits@Director@@QAEXPAUtagRECT@@H@Z + 0x84]
          0x0043e3e1 [?RepaintSprites@TiledMap@@QAEHPAVaui_Surface@@PAUt agRECT@@_N@Z + 0xb1]
          0x006e589f [?background_draw_handler@@YA?AW4AUI_ERRCODE@@PAX@Z + 0xaf]
          0x00687a7d [?DrawThis@Background@@UAE?AW4AUI_ERRCODE@@PAVaui_S urface@@HH@Z + 0xd]
          0x00678c7b [?Draw@aui_Window@@UAE?AW4AUI_ERRCODE@@PAVaui_Surfa ce@@HH@Z + 0x2b]
          0x0040be13 [?ProcessUI@CivApp@@AAEHIAAI@Z + 0x183]
          0x0040c1cb [?Process@CivApp@@QAEHXZ + 0x11b]
          0x00406f84 [?CivMain@@YGHPAUHINSTANCE__@@0PADH@Z + 0x394]
          0x004069e5 [WinMain@16 + 0x65]
          0x007ff0dc [WinMainCRTStartup + 0x134]
          0x75e34911 [__onexitbegin + 0x7546e719]
          0x7759e4b6 [__onexitbegin + 0x76bd82be]
          0x7759e489 [__onexitbegin + 0x76bd8291]

Comment

Martin, see below - no problem in reproducing the crash. Does that help?
            That could help at least I can go through that method and see whether there is anything invalid.

But on the other it could also be that one of the graphics files isn't put in the right place. But first I should check it on my end.

-Martin

Comment

• Is it just me, or is 875 generating an excessive amount of hill tiles in new games?

Comment

• Originally posted by percuno
                Is it just me, or is 875 generating an excessive amount of hill tiles in new games?
                It seems so, more sand dunes, polar hills and mountain types too.

I tried changing these lines in const.txt back to the original values:

original:
                Code:
                PERCENT_MOUNTAIN 5  # percetage of land with mountaint on it - this is a target only
                MOUNTAIN_CELL 5     # length of a side of a cell - one cell contains at most 1 mountain chain. 

PERCENT_HILLS 5     # percent of land with hills on it
                MOUNTAIN_SPREAD 25   # chance that the mountain chain spreads out
                MOUNTAIN_LENGTH 25   # average length of a mountain chain
                current play test:
                Code:
                PERCENT_MOUNTAIN 7   # percetage of land with mountain on it - this is a target only
                MOUNTAIN_CELL    4   # length of a side of a cell - one cell contains at most 1 mountain chain. 

PERCENT_HILLS   13   # percent of land with hills on it
                MOUNTAIN_SPREAD 60   # chance that the mountain chain spreads out
                MOUNTAIN_LENGTH 15   # average length of a mountain chain
                but it seemed to have no effect.
                Call to Power 2: Apolyton Edition - download the latest version (12th June 2011)
                CtP2 AE Wiki & Modding Reference
                One way to compile the CtP2 Source Code.

Comment

• Originally posted by percuno
                  Is it just me, or is 875 generating an excessive amount of hill tiles in new games?
                  yes, I got that too!

Comment

• Originally posted by Maquiladora

It seems so, more sand dunes, polar hills and mountain types too.

I tried changing these lines in const.txt back to the original values:
                    Well that was the idea behind the changes, I think I took them from MedPack, so they seem to be tested at least.

I think a screen shot of the problem would help.

-Martin

Comment

Well that was the idea behind the changes, I think I took them from MedPack, so they seem to be tested at least.

I think a screen shot of the problem would help.
                      The screen shots should be fairly self-explanatory, the "const.txt values" are the lines I quoted in my above post, "original game" is with the 1.1 patch only.

The last row is just to show that it seems to have little effect using the original const.txt values with the playtest. Do I need to change some other lines somewhere for it to have significant effect?

From left to right: all water, even water and land, all land. The rest of the map settings were left on default in the middle.
                      Call to Power 2: Apolyton Edition - download the latest version (12th June 2011)

Comment

The screen shots should be fairly self-explanatory, the "const.txt values" are the lines I quoted in my above post, "original game" is with the 1.1 patch only.

The last row is just to show that it seems to have little effect using the original const.txt values with the playtest. Do I need to change some other lines somewhere for it to have significant effect?
                        The island maps look like there were mountains and hills only, that is indeed a problem. Well you can also look into const.txt, another file would be map.txt, but as far as I know map.txt isn't any different from the original.

Originally posted by Maquiladora

From left to right: all water, even water and land, all land. The rest of the map settings were left on default in the middle.
                        Probably the values from the userprofile.txt would be helpful. And actually I have to figure out how I can organize all those bug reports here, since I am still working on that AI stuff.

-Martin

Comment

The island maps look like there were mountains and hills only, that is indeed a problem.
                          Yeah, they're all mountains or hills.

Well you can also look into const.txt, another file would be map.txt, but as far as I know map.txt isn't any different from the original.
                          I just tried lots of maps using const.txt and map.txt (although it appears to be the same) from the original game in the playtest and the problems are the same, so it suggests something has changed internally that is affecting the map generator.

Probably the values from the userprofile.txt would be helpful.
                          Do you mean these:

WetDry=5
                          WarmCold=5
                          OceanLand=0
                          IslandContinent=5
                          HomoDiverse=5
                          GoodCount=5
                          Using oceanland 0 the above settings will produce the all mountain/hills islands.

If you use IslandContinent 0-4 the map looks as it should most of the time.

If you use IslandContinent 5-10 it will generally produce all hills and mountains islands and continents. Only very rarely will it produce a correct map at these settings. The inconsistency will make it difficult to test changes.

More land maps appear to have too many hills and mountains, but the islands problem should be fixed first.

I haven't tried changing map.txt yet but perhaps it can be fixed, at least temporarily there.

And actually I have to figure out how I can organize all those bug reports here, since I am still working on that AI stuff.
                          Then I'll hold my bug reporting for now.

Comment

These are the final pictures. Button active and inactive, the new GL picture and the first one just in case.

Also Martin, can you save them in your Paint Shop Pro 4 please, so they don't appear upside down? This way it keeps them as they should be.
                            Will the unit updater work in the next playtest? Nothing more annoying than to constantly replace my city defense...

Comment

Will the unit updater work in the next playtest? Nothing more annoying than to constantly replace my city defense...
                              It's implemented in the code now. To upgrade a unit just put it to sleep ("s") in a city (doesn't work in a fort yet IIRC). Make sure you also have enough gold, which is:

Shield cost of new unit - shield cost of old unit * government unit rush modifier.

So to upgrade an archer to a longbowman:

370 - 150 * 4 (in Monarchy) = 880 gold.

or because you can skip upgrades, archer to marine:

1400 - 150 * 5 (in Democracy) = 6250 gold.

To find the upgrade paths just look in units.txt, or the unit rush modifier look in govern.txt, or you can update the great library to include these if you like

BTW there is a slight bug that when the unit is upgraded the unit icon won't be updated right away, but it should change on the next turn.

Comment

Then I'll hold my bug reporting for now.
                                I don't know whether this is a good idea either, my problem now is that I am losing track of all the issues. Unfortunately, DarkDust's issue tracker isn't online anymore. Unfortunately, it was on the one hand too remote and on the other hand, I put to much work into those issue tickets. Probably, I should have just given the stuff a title and linked it to its forum post.

The downside of holding back reporting is that you would also forget about problems.

So for now, I want to include the AI stuff I am working on, then the some MP fixes, and we need the mountain/hills problem fixed. Maybe I add the stuff from mapfi.

-Martin

Comment

Working...
                                X