Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It might be a bad idea to add a unit then, at least for the near future.

I assume you can add NeedsCityGood also without incompatibility problems?
    Call to Power 2: Apolyton Edition - download the latest version (12th June 2011)
    CtP2 AE Wiki & Modding Reference
    One way to compile the CtP2 Source Code.

Comment

• I guess the other possibility is to give it a try. Once I add the two new units in a units.txt file I'll start a game with te old version and then replace it and see what happens. I don't think it will be a problem as long as the playtest is loaded, but I did make changes along the way i a few previous changes (increasing ship movment and changing obsolete stuff)

the other thing I guess is just to caveat it. The playtest can do much more than out of the box, we ought to show off some of it.
      Formerly known as "E" on Apolyton

See me at Civfanatics.com

Comment

• Originally posted by Maquiladora
        It might be a bad idea to add a unit then, at least for the near future.
        The problem is the database and that the unit's is stored as integer based on the order in the unit database. So if we change the order then we might see that your settler may tunr into a fusion tank. Maybe inserting the new stuff at the end hurts less, but this is also a huge change for an exsiting game.

Originally posted by Maquiladora
        I assume you can add NeedsCityGood also without incompatibility problems?
        As long as you use exsisting units. However I would prefer a lighter version, something like reduced production costs, or reduced move costs if you have cheap oil.

Originally posted by E
        the other thing I guess is just to caveat it. The playtest can do much more than out of the box, we ought to show off some of it.
        Well if we want to show something then something about the city styles, noone in civ ever considered them worth more than some sort of decoration. And of course civ specific stuff.

Maybe something like a base happiness modification, for instance your civ lowers your base happiness by two and your city style adds two, then you would have a prroblem with cities that aren't of your culture.

-Martin
        Civ2 military advisor: "No complaints, Sir!"

Comment

• I'll work on the txts today among other things. But considering that the second anniversary of the source code release is upon shouldnt we atleat get a news item highlighting some of the progress? (the AoM item has been there since March)

Comment

• I did compile up to rev475, which includes fromafar's crash fix. dl it in my sig (you need the latest playtest already installed, mine is just a patch)

Comment

• Whats in that rev475 build E? I just see the exe and some cosmetic changes, werent you going to add some examples of using your new code?
              Call to Power 2: Apolyton Edition - download the latest version (12th June 2011)
              CtP2 AE Wiki & Modding Reference
              One way to compile the CtP2 Source Code.

Comment

• I'll add the texts soon, sorry I started a new job so it slowed me a bit. but it includes fromafar's crash fix. and my code is there just no examples.

Comment

• SLIC array error

Hi,
                  when using the latest playtest (patched over a vanilla installation, no mods) I keep getting a SLIC 'array index out of bounds error' once a turn during AI moves. Not sure but I'm guessing it might be due to the fact that a brand new civ has been generated, as the two events seem to coincide.

Would you like more information about this, or are you aware of this problem already? What info/files should I provide?
                  thanks

Comment

• please post the crash.txt file (you might have to do a search for it, cant recall the folder). it might explain in there and then we can help.

Comment

• Originally posted by E
                      please post the crash.txt file (you might have to do a search for it, cant recall the folder). it might explain in there and then we can help.
                      He was not experiencing a crash, therefore there will be no useful crash.txt. A savegame might help. It would also be interesting to know anything alse the error says (such as where it occurs).

Comment

• The error I get is in default\gamedata\script.slc:1290: array index 0 out of bounds.
                        when i say yes to continue, another dialog opens saying array lookup city[0] failed.
                        save game attached. the error occurs within about 2 turns.

hope this helps!
                        Attached Files

Comment

• Hi,
                          just thought i'd give some feedback from my latest game. I'm playing on a medium map with 12 starting civs - this works great, as there isn't much space so you avoid the usual ctp2 problem of having conquered half the planet by 1000AD. I may still win, but I'm going to need to play right up to the end of the tech tree to get there.
                          Maybe we should set this number of civs as the default? Even slow computers (like mine) can handle it without problems. Also gives ctp2 an advantage over civ4!

One thing I've noticed though, is that the ai civs hardly ever make proposals and hardly ever accept my proposals. Is this because I'm playing on impossible? I think if people play with lots of civs they expect constant chatter, lots of deals etc.- is this an easy thing to improve, and if so would you like it improved?

thanks!

Comment

• Originally posted by rsewar2
                            just thought i'd give some feedback from my latest game. I'm playing on a medium map with 12 starting civs - this works great, as there isn't much space so you avoid the usual ctp2 problem of having conquered half the planet by 1000AD. I may still win, but I'm going to need to play right up to the end of the tech tree to get there.
                            Maybe we should set this number of civs as the default? Even slow computers (like mine) can handle it without problems. Also gives ctp2 an advantage over civ4!
                            You can select the number of civs you want, and that's saved to your userprofile.txt, so next time when you start a new game this number of civs is used. Except in MP there you can only have eight, max human players is four currently.

Originally posted by rsewar2
                            One thing I've noticed though, is that the ai civs hardly ever make proposals and hardly ever accept my proposals. Is this because I'm playing on impossible? I think if people play with lots of civs they expect constant chatter, lots of deals etc.- is this an easy thing to improve, and if so would you like it improved?
                            Probably the AI isn't so eager to do proposals. Unfortunately this is a more complex task to improve. You have to understand the diplo code at first, how it is triggered. And finnally to change, of course possibly the task may be easier than I think.

-Martin
                            Civ2 military advisor: "No complaints, Sir!"

Comment

• Re: SLIC array error

Originally posted by rsewar2
                              when using the latest playtest (patched over a vanilla installation, no mods) I keep getting a SLIC 'array index out of bounds error' once a turn during AI moves. [...]
                              Would you like more information about this, or are you aware of this problem already? What info/files should I provide?
                              Useful info would be the version (i.e. the date on the title screen) of your "latest" playtest. This problem has been reported before on the 2005.09.12 playtest, but it should have been fixed in E's 2005.10.10 version.

Comment

• Question... are E's builds un-optimized? I read that in another thread... or has he goten a better compiler?

personally I have been testing E's builds when I can. They have been very fun, but really slow down my puter in the later turns of the game.

Comment

Working...
                                X