No announcement yet.

GENERAL: I am slow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DirectSound and DirectMusic is really easy. I already have initialisers and engines for DS and DM written.

Comment

Ah.. the first challenge awaits...

*** Pyaray sits back in his comfy chair with a tub of popcorn waiting for the show to being ***

Pyaray

Comment

Pyaray:

When I worked in aerospace, the mission critical code got developed at a rate of about 1 line of code per hour. In the game industry, it's several hundred times that.
        I have a suspicion that, at least initially, one line per hour will prove to be quite an optimistic goal for us. Pyaray better have a big tub of popcorn.

Comment

Considering that the first thing to do is remove code (the Miles sound library usage), your speed will initially be a negative number of lines per hour. At least it'll be easy to pick up the pace from there.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Triggs

I have a suspicion that, at least initially, one line per hour will prove to be quite an optimistic goal for us. Pyaray better have a big tub of popcorn.
            And a massive coke to go with it!

Comment

For people wondering where to start from here you've got your answer: Miles Sound System

Comment

Glad to hear that the source code will be out soon! Finally, after many moons, we'll get the code so we can make the game that will put Sid out of business!
                The wall of the Achaians

Comment

Near future...

CTP2 source code team: There! We've finally finished fixing all the bugs. Sid Meier, you'll be out of business in no time.

Sid: Well hurry up. I'm 97 years old and I'd like to enjoy a few years of retirement before succumbing to blissful dementia.

Comment

Originally posted by Aias
                    Glad to hear that the source code will be out soon! Finally, after many moons, we'll get the code so we can make the game that will put Sid out of business!
                    To be honest, after the Civ3/PTW/Conquests fiasco, and other titles like Gettysburg, and what I've heard on Pirates 2, Sid is fast going out of business himself!

Doesn't need help from us.

Comment

To be honest, I can't see how are you happy about Sid going out of business. While I didn't like PTW too much, I liked Civ 3 a lot, but OK, that's my personal opinion. But, Civ 1 was a masterpiece, as everyone here will agree, and it's Sid we have to thank for the very concept of Civ.
                      Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                      I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

I don't think that anyone really want's Sid out of business.

Any comments are more likely a response to the "civ3 officianodos" that are constantly talking about how badly the CTP series sucks....whether they've played them or not.

To some extent, however, the reverse is also true

Comment

To defend my comments above, I just want to point out a couple of things:

1. Sid Meier fans believe him to be the "be all and end all" of computer game design. He's not. He's made as many flops as he has classics. Yes, while everyone will agree games like Civ1, Pirates, Railroad Tycoon, colonisation are awesome games, but there's just as many flops like Gettysburg, Dinosaurs, etc.

2. Yes, Sid was the first designer to strike the Civ-genre. But there's so many other Civ-styled games which are heaps better than the Civ and CTP series. While Sid started the genre, he hasn't really progressed it since. But take EA Sports. They started the 3D sports genre, and every year take it another step forwards. Westwood with RTS. Each one moves the mark a little bit further. Sid has not taken his advantage and used it.

3. His name selling games? Not really anymore. Civ3 didn't do as well as everyone was expecting, and why? To the older gamer his name is synonymous with the classics, but to new gamers, his name is known for his flops. PTW has done even worse (last figures I heard was that there was only half as many PTW's in gamers hands than Civ3). Conquests isn't getting have the raves Civ3 originally got on game sites.

Conclusion? The Sid name has ended. Unless he can produce another world-wide stunner, he's going to lose gamers to cutting-edge games. And what does that mean? Out of business. While I don't wish it so, it's inevitable on the line he's currently chosen.

Say what you will, that's my view.

Comment

Dale,

The definition of games being "flops" is very subjective. It's obvious that many people will say Gettysburg was an excellent game.

The true deal is, Sid didn't do much of designing in Civ 3. I'm sure it would be much better with him actually designing, but I'm still going to get Conquests, just because I can't fail to get a Civ game.

EA Sports, subjective, too. They just keep adding feautures in every new incarnation of their game, but they don't really feel too different for my liking...
                            Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                            I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

EA sports: Many people consider those features as patches, but they are still being sold as new games.......... not sure if this is better.....................

And Yes: Sid is mainly known to older gamers.............when games where still games and not videos

Comment

Are we getting a bit off-topic here?

Comment

Working...
                                X