Possible new units

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible new units

Ok this is just thoughts, i thought that Modded ctp2 had all the units it ever needed but now with the possibility of converting them from Civ3 it just boggles me.

Nice additional units for CtP2

[COLOR=redZeppelin
    I think zeppelin, blimp, montgolfiere or whatever you want to call it is a good idea, as a very weak and slow (slow as in moves say 2 squares at a time or whatever) unit that can only attack ground units possibly a UU? However it will be the first flying unit available and will be around way before the other air units. This will make it a very handy unit of its time [/COLOR] *possibly historically incorrect and unrealistic

Alpine Troops
    Would be nice to have Alpine Troops like Civ2 (are they in civ3 i cant remeber) they would be really good movement for snow terrain and really good attack and defence and on other terrain they are pretty crap or tottaly crap as this makes sense (hence the name alpine troops) they could be the ultimate infantry unit on snow terrain.

Fanatic
    Like in Civ2 unique to a fundementalist government or whatever may apply. This would be a cool unit (i mean Theocracy get a unit, facism get a unit why not Fundamentalism?)

Partisan
    I mean there is a partisan code which is class but no specific partisan unit. MM2 (Medieval Mod 2) uses the old CtP1 spy sprite which is kinda undestandable as it acts like a spy. But what im talking about is one that attacks lets say a animated sprite version of the Civ2 partisan

Camel Rider
    With Pedrunns trade system http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=62425 this would be a great unit. If there where a camel trade good (as in Martin's GoodMod) As throughout history there have been civilizations that have used alternatives to horses as in there particular part of the world they did not have horses. Camel riders would be perfect they would require the camel trade good (as horse units will need the horse trade good) and the sprite could be a converted Age of Empires 2 unit (if this would look good) either way there should be a camel rider unit and maybe other camel units (camel bowman or whatever) that should be included.

Bi-Plane
    There is no bi-plane in ctp2, the fact that these where the first planes and single winged planes where at one time thought impossible to work. I think these would be rather important. Either as an early spy plane (could fly low out of radar too) or probably better as an early attack plane. Anyone remember that old beta screenie of Civ3 (this was when i was interested in that crap, before it came out) there was a yellow bi-plane in one of the shots (strangly there where AA TI's too) anyway in the final there wasnt any bi-planes in civ3 either to the best of my knowledge.... strange

Early tank
    There are no early tanks in ctp2, as soon as you get the technology to build tanks your instantly in 70's technology with what looks to be an abrams tank.... This isnt right, progression is what we need. What about the very first tanks (ok not the armoured passenger car thingies) the ones just after that. With the tracks going all the way around the chasis. I think these would be very good in ctp2.

Can anyone think of anymore to add to this list ? Units they would like to see? Units you thought should have been in the game anyway? Units that you think should be upgraded versions of the current eg. Catapult > Cannon > Artillery etc.
    Last edited by SMIFFGIG; March 5, 2004, 19:31.
    Oxygen should be considered a drug
    Tiberian Sun Retro
    My Mod for Tiberian Sun Webmaster of
    http://www.tiberiumsun.com

i rather liked the partisan/guerilla units in civ2. It added a modern element of rebellion and idealy made it harder to invade a modern city (which compared to real life invasions dealing with suicide bombers, media subversion, public opinion etc add a whole new enjoyable element to the civ game.)

Comment

I'm working on leader units that upgrade the more they fight and also can "think" for themselves to some degree.

I've an early working version so far but there's alot more work to do on it (getting the dam AI to only use one per stack etc) and the other "areas" of my "mod" .
      Shores Of Valinor.com - The Premier Tolkien Community -

Comment

well i don't know about those spinning zeppelins (never got civ3 and so never looked at mods) but i really would like to see early aviation units like montgolfieres (which couldn't do anything but act as a really bad version of spy planes and maybe transport one small unit) and later zeppelins as either very early air transport unit or as a weak bomber

Comment

The Zeppelin was not such a bad bomber, just rather brittle and slow. They had incredible range for their day and were not all that easy to intercept and shoot down (I think the first Zeppelin shot down was actually bombed by anotehr plane

For any scenario or mod wishing to seriously treat the WWI era a Zeppelin would be very important.

For the regular Civ3 units, I think we'll get all converted eventually. After that the good fanmade Civ3 units and maybe material from other games too. From my point of view at least, there are still a lot of sprites needed for CTP2.

Marc aka Caran...

Comment

Originally posted by Zaphod Beeblebrox
            montgolfieres
            The English word for it is (hot air) balloon
            Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

yep, but montgolfiere just has this stylish jules verne sound to me

Comment

Is it a direct translation? I always assumed a Mongolfiere was a Frenchy type of hot air balloon.
                Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
                "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

Zeppelin
                  I think zeppelin, blimp, montgolfiere or whatever you want to call it is a good idea, as a very weak and slow (slow as in moves say 2 squares at a time or whatever) unit that can only attack ground units possibly a UU? However it will be the first flying unit available and will be around way before the other air units. This will make it a very handy unit of its time

Alpine Troops
                  Would be nice to have Alpine Troops like Civ2 (are they in civ3 i cant remeber) they would be really good movement for snow terrain and really good attack and defence and on other terrain they are pretty crap or tottaly crap as this makes sense (hence the name alpine troops) they could be the ultimate infantry unit on snow terrain.

What do u think? Got any other unit ideas?

Note: ill be updating the list as soon as more suggestions are added hopefully we can gather quite a big list here
                  Oxygen should be considered a drug
                  Tiberian Sun Retro
                  My Mod for Tiberian Sun Webmaster of
                  http://www.tiberiumsun.com

Comment

Originally posted by Immortal Wombat
                    Mongolfiere
                    A brave Mongol?

Well, I'm by no means an expert but as far as I know they're synonyms. Personally I think Montgolfiere is a very artificial term myself, deliberately designed to sound fancier than it is, like calling a Tank a Char d'Assaut- but I guess that's just my personal opinion then and not universally shared...
                    Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

t
                      "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

Originally posted by Locutus

A brave Mongol?

lol nice typo i did

actually to sort it out:
                        with zeppelins i mean motorpowered zeppelins like in the wwI era

with montgolfieres i mean the 18century (?) hot ballons first invented by the french brothers montgolfiere ( hence the name) driven by the winds and only capable of transporting a one/fewpersons unit like a diplomat, an explorer or a london dude who did a silly bet on his way to italy with only 70 somewhat days left for a long journey about a x-wrapped map.

hey, maybe thats an idea for a new wonder?

Comment

well to other new units... i guess even the best modders/sliccers here around won't be able to teach the game the idea of supply lines?

would be fun blowing the supply ships with ammo and fuel instead the tankarmy in africa though

Comment

feat of wonder. round the world in 80 turns

Comment

Yep, no accurate lines of supply. No realistic terrain. No realistic combat. Long list of no's.

Still we'll have to live with it, CTP2 is definitelly better then Civ3 (tried to play it twice during the week before I got that sprite script to work, Civ3 makes my list for one of the most boring games ever).

Mountain (and light) troops by the way are generally crack forces, they just lack some of the heavier equipment of other units. I'm not sure they could be translated into CTP2. Combat wise they might end up with an average shock value, low to no fire and rather high defense. Their size should also be such that they can be easily air or sea lifted. In general their values I expect should be very similar to that of paratroopers (not as good on attack but better defenders).

Marc aka Caran...

Comment

Working...
                              X