Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GoodMod: The Mod of Goods

Martin

email me a hyperlink for the zipped file and I'll post it on my site too.
    Yes, let's be optimistic until we have reason to be otherwise...No, let's be pessimistic until we are forced to do otherwise...Maybe, let's be balanced until we are convinced to do otherwise. -- DrSpike, Skanky Burns, Shogun Gunner
    ...aisdhieort...dticcok...

GoodMod: The Mod of Goods

GoodMod the mod of goods is now in its public beta stage and now available on my page or here.

GoodMod contains 32 new trade goods in addition to the 22 allready existing ones up to a total number of 54 goods. It also provides to each good tile food, production and comerce. Edit: Actual in the latest version there are 55 goods.

It requires Apolyton Pack or CityMod2.

Now here is the full list of goods that are in GoodMod:

Polar Mountain
    1. Rubies (origianl)
    2. Diamonds (origianl)
    3. Bauxite (additional)
    4. Emeralds (additional) (new graphics)

Desert
    5. Glass (origianl)
    6. Oil (origianl)
    7. Dates (additional)
    8. Camels (additional)

Forest
    9. Hardwood (origianl)
    10. Bears (origianl)
    11. Apples (additional)
    12. Beavers (additional)

Grassland
    13. Cotton (origianl)
    14. Tobacco (origianl)
    15. Potatoes (additional)
    16. Poppies (additional)

Hill
    17. Coffee (origianl)
    18. Grapes (origianl)
    19. Uranium (additional)
    20. Olives (additional)

Jungle
    21. Medicinal Herbs (origianl)
    22. Jade (origianl)
    23. Bananas (additional)
    24. Sugar (additional)

Mountain
    25. Tea (origianl)
    26. Emerald (origianl)
    27. Coal (additional)
    28. Gold (additional)

Plains
    29. Spices (origianl)
    30. Elephant (origianl)
    31. Wheat (additional)
    32. Buffalo (additional)

Swamp
    33. Alligator (origianl)
    34. Rice (additional)
    35. Chilli (additional)
    36. Peat (additional)

Tundra
    37. Caribou (origianl)

Deep Water
    38. Whales (origianl)
    39. Giant Squid (origianl)
    40. Tuna (additional)

Shallow Water

41. Crabs (origianl)
    42. Pearls (origianl)
    43. Salmon (additional)
    44. Lobster (additional)

Sand Dunes
    45. Copper (additional)
    46. Silver (additional)
    5. Glass (origianl)
    8. Camels (additional)

Beach
    47. Crabs (origianl)
    48. Fish (additional)

Desert Mountain
    49. Iron Ore (additional)
    50. Silver (additional)

Polar Hill
    51. Saphires (additional)
    52. Emeralds (additional) (new graphics)

Glacier
    53. Seals (additional)
    54. Walrus (additional)

Submarine Volcano
    1. Rubies (origianl)
    2. Diamonds (origianl)
    51. Saphires (additional)
    4. Emeralds (additional) (new graphics)

Continatal Shelf
    41. Crabs (origianl)
    42. Pearls (origianl)
    43. Salmon (additional)
    44. Lobster (additional)

Submarine Canyons
    38. Whales (origianl)
    40. Tuna (additional)

Submarine Ridge
    38. Whales (origianl)
    40. Tuna (additional)

Kelp Bed
    41. Crabs (origianl)
    42. Pearls (origianl)
    43. Salmon (additional)
    44. Lobster (additional)

Coral Reef
    41. Crabs (origianl)
    42. Pearls (origianl)
    43. Salmon (additional)
    44. Lobster (additional)

Known problems: There are two problems: The first one has to do with the good tile improving process. I did not found any way to improve the good tiles directly via the goods.txt. Thereare also entries in this file that promise that is possible but it just doesn't work. This file is full of stuff that doesn't work, therefore you will find in the Great Library some double entries of goods, because the GLHidden flag doesn't work in the goods.txt although it is there. To improve the good tiles I used a work around: I found a way to create an unvisible tile improvement and I was able to create on every good tile a neutral tile improvement, it has no owner and here come the two problems:

The good improving process is verry slow, my computer (Athlon 1333, 256MB Ram) needs something about two minutes for the good improving process on a default gigantic map with maximum good setting. So you will get a massive slow down before the first Barbarian turn starts. But fortunatly the goods must only improved once in a game therefore the code only once at the beginning of the game even you reload slic after the second turn.

There is also a problem if someone founds a city in the first two turns during the good improvement process the sollution is to prohibitate city founding in the first two turn via slic.

As improved goods are goods with tile improvements, they can be pillaged. And here comes a second problem: If you try pillaging neutral goods/tileimprovements the game will crach. Therefore this thread if a game crash occurs report it here, and I will write a pillage preventing code of the good improvements. (And I like the idea that goods can be pillaged.)

The third reason for this threat is to get to know something about the good balancing, like probability, food, production and commerce values.

Edit: Note that all the links in this posts points now to the current version of GoodMod.

-Martin
    Last edited by Martin Gühmann; September 12, 2002, 12:18.
    Civ2 military advisor: "No complaints, Sir!"

Comment

Some you should consider...

Slaves: JUNGLE (you can say that what happened in africa was pretty much a race being used as a trade good).

Dye: BEACH - The Phoencian economy got its jumpstart on this.

Tourism: GRASSLANDS - From Mecca to Disney Worlds, tourism is a major trade good. Its more an import than an export, but it would still work.
      Bluevoss-

Comment

Will it work with the Medieval Mod?

Comment

Originally posted by Bluevoss
          Slaves: JUNGLE (you can say that what happened in africa was pretty much a race being used as a trade good).
          The graphics for the CTP1 slave unit could be used and if the city keeps slaves one of the slave goods would appear in the city radius.

Dye: BEACH - The Phoencian economy got its jumpstart on this.
          Do you have a proper graphic for it. It is enough space left for two additional goods on that terrain.

Tourism: GRASSLANDS - From Mecca to Disney Worlds, tourism is a major trade good. Its more an import than an export, but it would still work.
          It is very difficuilt to find a graphic for it. Maybe a Pyramid could used for it and it could appear in the city radius if a city builds the pyramid wonder.

Originally posted by Apollon
          Will it work with the Medieval Mod?
          Not yet, of course there will be a Med Pack 2 version, but that takes a little bit.

-Martin

Comment

The Phoenican dye was made from mullusk-like creatures. They would place these creatures, thousands of them, into tins of water, exposed to the sun. Over several weeks, the creatures would secrete a chemical that could be used to make the fabulous Tyrian dyes. Needless to say, the dyeworks were kept downwind of the city and would drop you in your tracks if you got too close.

Would I snale work? The shell looks like a traditional curled seashell. Or maybe there are other manufacturing methods of dyes that would make more sense. In this case, it would be a rare and expenisve good - work (in our money) $30,000 per pound.

For "Tourism" places, I dunno. Maybe ? I'm reading a book right now concerning travel in ancient times, and they actually note that the pyrimids were a big draw for egypt. But in this case, it would be some place that you would want to see for some sort of reason - like I said, its mecca or disneyland. On second thought, maybe these should be wonders (Bluevoss wonders why ANYONE would go to Disneyworld).

I think that slaves (such as the Africans) were more a factor of location and local tribal affairs, but still, the wholesale selling of slaves took place really only there. In the ancient world, slaves were also gained by combat and by sacking citys. Still, there should be some sort of icon that would show the trade that took place.

I'm very interested in how your mod comes out. For me, its gotta work with Medmod.
            Bluevoss-

Comment

I found the reason for the slow good improving process here is GM1_Goods.slc version1.1 to accelerate the process. This file will be found in GoodMod v0.96 including Craddle and MedPack2 support. But for now just the slic file.

-Martin
              Attached Files

Comment

Uptade Alert

GoodMod v0.96b is here

The second public version of GoodMod is now available on my page. Of coarse the is also a textupdate availabe.

It contains some bug fixes and new features:

Bugfixes:

1. Accelerated Good Improving Process. No need to wait half an hour on the really extra gigantic Apolyton Pack map that every good get improved.

2. Good Improvfing Process is complete before the first human turn starts, no need to forbid settling in the first two turns anymore.

3. Small fixes of the Great Library.

New Features:

1. Craddle support as promissed.

2. MedPack support as promissed.

3. A new good: Dye for Beaches as suggested by Bluevoss. And a big thank goes out to Firaxis for making the Dye graphic available.

4. A little soundfix is added for CityMod2 and Craddle as it can be found in Apolyton Pack and MedPack2.

-Martin

Comment

Looks like I'll be giving this a go...

as soon as I get some other tweaking done on some files I'm currently working on.

A modder's work is never done.
                  Yes, let's be optimistic until we have reason to be otherwise...No, let's be pessimistic until we are forced to do otherwise...Maybe, let's be balanced until we are convinced to do otherwise. -- DrSpike, Skanky Burns, Shogun Gunner

Comment

Boy this looks good - got it on my setup without any problem.

I will probably have to rebundle it with the changes I have made though - I had gone through the tileimp.txt file and made a host of wholesale changes - which meant that I had to go into the Great Library, and so forth.

Well, you get the picture...

Too bad I probably will have very little time this weekend to actually play, but I will try.

Comment

I think I foregot something to mention: Savegames saved without GoodMod can't be loaded into GoodMod. Also Savegames of version 0.95b are incompartible with version 0.96b as I added the Dye Good.

-Martin

Comment

Small question,

Since these are tile improvements and can be pillaged, once they are pillaged, can they resume their improved status (more commerce/production or food) after a period of time?

I'm seeing some Barbarian pillaging action early in my game

Comment

I look forward to playing your mod. I just gotta find the time. Besides Tuesdays events, we just had a hurricane blow through here. And after I replaced my dead graphics card, my monitor exploaded (black smoke out the back - what a mess).

Tuf week.
                          Bluevoss-

Comment

A couple of question Martin,

I would like to tone down some of the bonuses of the goods. Below is a sample from your goods.txt file

# Rubies #0
                            TERRAIN_ARCTIC_MOUNTAIN_GOOD_ONE {
                            SpriteID 18
                            Sound SOUND_ID_RUBIES
                            Gold 1
                            Food 10
                            Production 10
                            Probability 0.25
                            Icon ICON_GOOD_ARCTIC_MOUNTAIN_ONE
                            }

I noticed that you have 4 goods per terrain. Do the percentages in probability have to add up to 100%?

I also want to make each good worth a different amout of production/gold/food. If I want to make Rubies worth 10 Gold, 0 Food, and 5 Production, should my entry then look like this?

# Rubies #0
                            TERRAIN_ARCTIC_MOUNTAIN_GOOD_ONE {
                            SpriteID 18
                            Sound SOUND_ID_RUBIES
                            Gold 10
                            Food 0
                            Production 5
                            Probability 0.25
                            }

The reason why I'm asking is that you have a number of 1 for the Gold setting - this is throwing me off, as that number seems to be unusual (I don't rember that a terrain with a good was worth 6 Gold - 5 for the Terrain +1 for the Good)

Have you got your latest slic file Cradle compatible?

Comment

Originally posted by hexagonian
                              The reason why I'm asking is that you have a number of 1 for the Gold setting - this is throwing me off, as that number seems to be unusual (I don't rember that a terrain with a good was worth 6 Gold - 5 for the Terrain +1 for the Good)
                              That is the theory but unfortunatly the code for that file in the ctp2.exe is unfinished. So far as I know only SpriteID, Gold, Probability and Icon work.

So far as I know Gold must be set to 1 to make the Good appear on the map or rather to prevent it from using the zero sprite. The total probability of all goods that can be found on one terrain must be one. For example if you have four goods for one terrain each with a Probability of 0.5 you will only see the first two of them on the map.

The Production and Food field don't work also the GLHidden entry doesn't work. I Experimented with these values and I didn't removed them finally, because it doen't matter. For the gold entry believe that it has to do something with the worth of the good as trade good.

That is the reason why I had to use tile improvements to add food, production and commerce to the good tiles. Below you see a part of the GM1_tileimp.txt. The sea good one tile improvement has different terrain effects for the different terrains on that the according goods can be found. To change the terrain effects of the goods just change the values here. If you want to have different effect for the same good on a beach and on shallow water tile just create a new terrain effect. I merged these effects, because it speeded up the original good improvement process. As I found the problem it is no problem to devide them again.

You notice that the class of that sea good improvement is (land) ATM. I removed from every sea tile improvement the line Excludes:ATM, to avoid that a sea improvement replace the good improvement. And of course the land goods improvements are of the OceanATM class. Level 4 to take it out of the human reach and EnablingAdvance ADVANCE_SUBNEURAL_ADS to take it out of the reach of the AI. Because the AI will build them if it has the needed advaces, therefore the slic file give this advance to the Barbarians and removes it afterwards.

Code:
                              ## 45 ################################################

TILEIMP_SEA_GOOD_ONE{
                                 Tooltip TOOLTIP_TILEIMP_SELECT_FARM1_BUTTON
                                 Statusbar STATUSBAR_TILEIMP_SELECT_TUNNEL_BUTTON
                                 Level 4
                                 Class:ATM
                                 GLHidden

ConstructionTiles 2
                                 ConstructionTiles 2
                                 ConstructionTiles 2

CantBuildOn TERRAIN_BROWN_HILL
                                 CantBuildOn TERRAIN_BROWN_MOUNTAIN
                                 CantBuildOn TERRAIN_DESERT
                                 CantBuildOn TERRAIN_FOREST
                                 CantBuildOn TERRAIN_GLACIER
                                 CantBuildOn TERRAIN_GRASSLAND
                                 CantBuildOn TERRAIN_HILL
                                 CantBuildOn TERRAIN_JUNGLE
                                 CantBuildOn TERRAIN_MOUNTAIN
                                 CantBuildOn TERRAIN_PLAINS
                                 CantBuildOn TERRAIN_SWAMP
                                 CantBuildOn TERRAIN_TUNDRA
                                 CantBuildOn TERRAIN_WHITE_HILL
                                 CantBuildOn TERRAIN_WHITE_MOUNTAIN
                                 CantBuildOn TERRAIN_DEAD

TerrainEffect {
                                    Terrain TERRAIN_WATER_DEEP #"Whales"
                                    Terrain TERRAIN_WATER_RIFT #"Whales"
                                    Terrain TERRAIN_WATER_TRENCH #"Whales"

BonusFood 15
                                    BonusProduction 5
                                    EnableAdvance ADVANCE_SUBNEURAL_ADS
                                    ProductionCost 0
                                    ProductionTime 10
                                    TilesetIndex 2
                                 }

TerrainEffect {
                                    Terrain TERRAIN_WATER_BEACH #"Crabs"
                                    Terrain TERRAIN_WATER_SHALLOW #"Crabs"
                                    Terrain TERRAIN_WATER_SHELF #"Crabs"
                                    Terrain TERRAIN_WATER_REEF
                                    Terrain TERRAIN_WATER_KELP

BonusFood 10
                                    ProductionCost 0
                                    ProductionTime 10
                                    TilesetIndex 2
                                 }

TerrainEffect {
                                    Terrain TERRAIN_WATER_VOLCANO #"Rubies"

BonusGold 15
                                    ProductionCost 0
                                    ProductionTime 10
                                    TilesetIndex 2
                                 }
                              }

## 46 ################################################
                              So far I try to improve the AI and all the slic that I made recently will be included with a better strategies.txt, maybe also the improved diplomod version. So far my latest slic is not Cradle compartible yet. But the New city conquer otion is Cradle comprtible.

-Martin

Comment

Working...
                              X