Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which mods should I get? A newbie guide.

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is to address some questions in another thread...
    One note: All users need to install the 1.2 patch and 1.21 hack before you try to use any of the mods here. (The hack may not always be required, but it will save you time and possible frustration if you go ahead and install it.)
    Most of the mods available in the download section involve a few files, or settings to add a specific change to the game. Most all of these were made at least a year ago, when the game was new, and people were addressing specific things that they wanted to change. The best of these mods were combined with the only comprehensive mod out at that time, Celestial Dawn's 4.22 mod, to form the Apolyton Pack.
    In the past six months or so, there have only been a few new mods put out, but they make large, overall improvements to the game.
    Nordicus has put out a Trade Goods mod, which exploits Pintello's discovery of how to change the values of goods in the game.
    Myself, I have posted the Med mod 2.1, which is currently available here at Apolyton, and I am working on the final beta stages of the Medieval Pack 3.0, which is available at my homepage.
    By and large, these mods do not work with other mods, since they alter the same files. I have combined all of the mods I use into the Medieval Pack, which utilizes a one-step installation process for ease of use.

If I were to give newbies advice today (June 1st), I would suggest that they play the tutorials until they have a basic understanding of the game, then go ahead and get the Medieval Pack 3.0. You will need to read and understand the readmes that accompany the Med Pack, or you will probably be confused, but once you get a feel for the game again, I think that you will find it a great improvement over the original setup.

Comment

Bum, ba bum bum BUMMMMMMMMMMP! (Boy, you can sure tell when this thing falls off the front page.)

Comment

So the install order is:

CtP
        Patch 1.2
        Hack 1.21 (is this a zip file?)
        Apolyton Pack v1
        Medieval Mod 2.1?

Or am I missing something?

Comment

Triscuit, go to my homepage, and get the Medieval Pack 3.0 (it's in three components). It's simpler to install, and a lot better than the 2.1 version.

Comment

Don't think you need the Apolyton Pack any more, I think WesW said it was incorporated with his Mod now.

Comment

thanks to a new hack we installed on the forums recently, this thread will be stuck on the top of the forum for ever

Comment

Well that's convenient. I can finally (re)install CTP, and I prepared to dig through this board.
                "Let us kill the English! Their concept of individual rights could undermine the power of our beloved tyrants!"

~Lisa as Jeanne d'Arc

Comment

I have an idea (shock horror not an idea aaahh maybe I should go back to Portugal, where I've spent my 2 weeks holiday)
                  How about having a link to each of the mods that we need to download this would make things a lot easier than having to search them all out.

Comment

Link? Huh, what?

------------------
                    The Medieval Mod 4.0- The Age of Wonders. The latest in the Medieval Pack series, soon to be available at my homepage. Check there periodically for updates and new additions.

Comment

Quiz question, I've got the 1.2, and the AIPs, but I never did the 1.21 hack. Now that I've got the AIPs, can I do the 1.21 hack or did I blow it?

Thanks in advance

Comment

You can still install the 1.21 hack. The order mentioned earlier in this thread is a recommended installation order. Some things have to be installed in a specific order, for example you must install the 1.2 patch before you can install the 1.21 hack.

But you don't necessarily have to install the hack immediately after the patch; you can install it at any time. Only some scenario features won't work correctly without the hack.

Comment

I am interested in getting brand new copy of CtP. Does the current version being sold contain all these wonderful patches?
                          Service means Citizenship. I'm doing my part!

Comment

Strangly enough, the Medieval Mod, in combination with the 1.2 patch and the 1.21 hack to killed the game after three turns. No warning, just went away.

I reinstalled, put the patch and hack on, and it worked fine.
                            "Let us kill the English! Their concept of individual rights could undermine the power of our beloved tyrants!"

~Lisa as Jeanne d'Arc

Comment

The question about the patches could probably be answered over at the Activision site. I doubt that it has them, though. They are simple enough to get from Apolyton, or the Activision site.

Sometimes my game will disappear when I click to get out of the intro movie. I just hit the shortcut again, and it rarely quits twice in a row. I don't know why that happens.
                              Sometimes the game will minimize in Windows when trying to start or load a game. I think this has to do with a ram overload. It doesn't appear to mess the game up.

Comment

I've had some bad experiences with patches/mods in the past, so I've been generally hesitant to install any.
                                I'm worried about bugs in them, and that they will radically change the style of play that I'm used to.

However, after hearing so many talk about them, I'm convinced that I should try something.

Looking at the number of downloads from the download page, it looks like I should try the 1.2 patch and Celestial Dawn's 4.22.

What else can go with these, and would make playing the game better, without changing it too much? Any other advise would be welcome too.

Comment

Working...
                                X