Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• quinns
    replied
    Thanks Solarius! Sounds good. I need to practice! Can somebody please post (or direct me to) how to set up my computer with the FF patch after I've installed CTP 1.2 on my machine? I forgot! Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• Solarius Scorch
    replied
    Nice! We should be starting another game, uh... this year, hopefully. We need to resolve the current one, but after that you're more than welcome to play! (There will be an update too...)

Leave a comment:

• quinns
    replied
    Hello Max and Eerion! Well, sure! I'll play. I can spare a few minutes a day (maybe a little more). Ah, who cares what I can spare?! Let's play. While you're playing your multiplayer game, how about some one vs. one challenge ladder play of FF?? I think you'll find that you enjoy the one vs. one game. It goes quick and there are some nice aspects of the no diplomacy version. You know, the challenge ladder was very popular in its day! (I can't find my CTP CD -- dog gone it! I just ordered another one from Amazon for $5)

Leave a comment:

• Eerion
    replied
    Hello Quinns.
    Long time no see and thanks a lot for your kind words.
    I hope you'll play with us once again someday

Leave a comment:

• Max_Smirnov
    replied
    Hey quinns! Nice to see that you're still kicking around here The Celtic empire changed players twice already (it's been taken over by the former Roman player recently), but the game grinds on... and it's much less one-sided than the one we played with you

Leave a comment:

• quinns
    replied
    Hey guys! Did you miss me? You're having far too much fun. It's great that you all have a common place to display your talents. Nice work!

Leave a comment:

• Eerion
    replied
    The room was silvery white. Walls, floor, even furniture was made out of metal visually reminding some kind of aluminum. Few sofas around the table in the middle of the room were coated with artificial white leather as if not to break the colour palette. The light diodes attached to the wall engulfed the room in soft light. Only the dome shaped roof made out of hardened glass remained pitch black, as the light was unable to penetrate the dark waters above Umi Koriyama. A man wearing a navy blue Japanese navy uniform entered a room, followed by a small blue haired girl. Completely ignoring her, he went to the shower room.

He was reading a book. A small and thin just like the ones made for small kids. Yet every page took him ages, as if he was rereading it over and over again, while sipping a whiskey from the glass occasionally. The girl was sitting nearby, playing with her fingers and looking at him from time to time. With the mixture of boredom and anticipation on her face, she seemed to think about a reason to turn his attention to her. Somehow.

“Which one are you reading now?” Miku, the superficial cyborg decided to break the silence.
    “Even a life-long prosperity is but one cup of sake;
    A life of forty-nine years is passed in a dream;
    I know not what life is, nor death.
    Year in year out-all but a dream.
    Both Heaven and Hell are left behind;
    I stand in the moonlit dawn,
    Free from clouds of attachment.” Soldier recited calmly. “Uesugi Kenshin wrote it on his deathbed.“ He added, while turning the page.
    “Kenshin? But he lived for far longer than 49 years, hasn’t he?” She looked at him surprised.
    “Did he say it because he knew others would not understand the longevity of his life? Or was it a mistake of old man’s dementia? I do not think we shall ever found that out.” He answered. After a long pause a man closed his book with a deep sigh. “I do not think you’re going to let me read anything peacefully, will you?”
    Miku giggled cheerfully and moved her seat toward him. “You should know well enough that woman interested in someone isn’t going to let him go easily.”
    “Woman, you say? I’m not even sure if you’re a human to begin with.” His voice had absolutely no emotions attached. As if he was some kind of robot as well.
    “That was really mean, you know?” She complained. “I simply wanted to talk to you.”
    “I doubt it. Whatever, let’s have it your way. What do you want to talk about?” He looked at the dome for a moment then turned his gaze toward cyborg.

“About that reconquest campaign. You managed that really well.” She seemed to wait for a long time to say these words.
    “It wasn’t anything extraordinary. Egypt has been focusing on land forces for a long time. All I had to do was to sink some ships in order to reclaim our cities.” He did not expect her to discuss such petty topic. No. He knew it was just an introduction.
    “Sink some ships. That’s quite a vague description of the biggest sea battle in the world’s history.” Blue haired girl laughed. She stood up, picked a whiskey glass from the cupboard. “Do you have any wine maybe?”
    “Which doesn’t place it even close to the biggest land battles. It’s a meaningless discussion and you know that strange girl. Get to the point. And no. I do not drink wine.”
    Girl poured some whiskey into her glass with a sigh of disappointment. Then, as if moving an emotion switch, she turned to him and spoke with a note of acknowledgement
    “You are more far sighted than I anticipated. As expected... of dragon.”
    A man raised his head and looked at her calmly. “That’s a name I haven’t heard in a really long time.”
    “Of course. I do not think anyone else has been aware of it.”
    “Except you. Or should I say your master?”
    “How did you find out about him?” She straightened out and squint her eyes.
    “I can feel the flow of things. Also the flow of information. I know you two are sending him data all the time.” He admitted simply, while looking at his glass.
    “And you don’t do anything about it?”
    “No. I’m in no situation to care about observers, no matter how far do they come from. There are more important things to deal with right now.”
    “For example?” She sat down in a sofa closest to his one and turned it toward him.
    „The Egyptian fleet has sunk, but it does not mean we are safe here. The bottom of the ocean may become peaceful, but that’s for a few years at the very best. We will get attacked again and this time we have to defend on all possible fronts. It’s just a matter of time before Egypt switch their full production to the navy and that point is a timer... of our doom.”
    “And what will you do about it? It is your domain, isn’t it?”
    “It is. But I cannot destroy a fleet. I know how to manage at the sea. I know how to organise our navy to have a strategic advantage over enemy. I can use currents and other sea aspects, but this is all. Against sheer numbers it’s just a matter of time before we fail anyway.”
    “So you will not bring a miracle to Japan?” She looked at him somewhat disappointed.
    “In order to have a miracle two things are necessary. First is the extremely hard work of people and the second is a sheer luck. I’m not responsible for either.”
    “But what are you going to do? Unite the remains of your nation? You are their leader. You are their true master, even if these people never knew about you. That’s why you became an admiral, right?”
    The man looked first at the roof and then at the glass again.
    “They did know about my existence. It was me, who made them stick to the sea instead of searching for luck on the frozen wastes. I sent them the schools of fish as signs for good places to build a city. I used the sea to ease the season so they could survive on this freezing continent during the settling campaign. They knew about it. Long time ago, before Perun took action. There was a huge cult around me and everyone knew about me and prayed to the sea for its blessings.”
    “Then why you let him take your country? These are your people you know?”
    “I am neither fit not interested in being a ruler. War? Peace? It is all utterly pointless from my point of view. I did not care about such petty issues. That’s why when he started taking care of this country I willingly left it to him.”
    “And you would not be able to work with him... no. A god of thunder, war and partially fire against the god of water and ocean. You knew it would never work out, am I right?”
    “At the same time you are wrong and correct. It’s true I knew we wouldn’t work well together and at the same time I did not intend to do it anyway. I left my country in hands of someone more ambitious. Fortunately, due to my nature he never found out about me.”
    “And what now? in the middle of the despair you take your country back?” Miku asked carefully.
    “No. I told you I wasn’t interested in being a ruler and nothing has changes since then. People asked me for help. I simply did what I could. I did not act as god, but as human soldier. That’s all.”
    “So you will abandon Japan again and let it be conquered?”
    “I told you I do not like wars. For the ocean itself such conflicts seems foolish anyway.”
    “You may not like wars. But what if war finds you whenever you wish for it or not? Be it Egypt or... something else?”
    “If that happens... I shall decide what to do. It is not the time for that now.”
    They were sitting in complete silence for a moment. Miku seemed busy thinking up about additional questions. The soldier, seeing the concern on her face sighed with resignation.
    “But are you really a dragon?” Miku asked with a smile on her face, ready to unleash another bombardment.
    “Who knows?” He shrugged.
    “That’s not an answer, you know?” She puffed her cheeks in disappointment. “I recall reading the Theban University essay about how dragons never existed. What about it?”
    “People may think whatever they want to. You cannot stop it, haven’t you figured it out already?” He took a last sip and stood up to refill his glass. “Why should you care about it?”
    “I’m interested. There were already few dragons in Japan. Dragon of Echigo. The one eyed dragon. Still these were simply nicknames. Titles. But I do not think that’s the case with you.”
    “So your master doesn’t know everything, does he?”
    Miku laughed. “Of course not. If he did there would be no reason for me to be there.”
    “True.” He nodded. “Then maybe you will figure it out. One day.”
    “So this is your excuse to let me stick to you? Being this indirect isn’t romantic at all, you know?” She giggled again and winked her eyelashes times.
    He raised his brew and looked at her.
    “Oh come on.” She joked. “You were supposed to say something now.”
    “Sorry to disappoint you.” He smiled gently and looked away.
    “Seriously...” She stopped for a moment then as if another switch was pushed, she changed her tone and asked seriously. “Kaito isn’t your true name, is it?”
    “Why do you think so?”
    “A feeling... I guess?”
    “Tell your master that he guessed right. It’s not my true name.”
    She looked at him with a mixture of surprise and wary. “Then what’s your name?”
    “Ryujin” He answered shortly. “My true name is Ryujin.”
    “Do you think that other masters may find out about you?” Hearing the answer she changed the topic.
    “No. I am part of the Ocean itself. You cannot feel or find me easily. Not this deep and this far to the south. If I would try to approach them... maybe in such case. Moreover they are focusing on something else happening. There is a big change happening to the north.”
    “So you know about it?”
    “I told you. I can feel the flow. I see it clearly when it turns or... changes.”
    “What do you think will come out of this?”
    “Time will tell.”
    “You’re boring!” She yelled at him disappointed.
    “Unfortunately I’m not Perun or Haruhi. You will have to live with that.”

Leave a comment:

• Max_Smirnov
    replied
    Day 32

Assault on Edo will proceed as per standard pattern. The wastes east of the city are only lightly fortified and were deemed appropriate for drop-pod insertion. Unlike the previous operations, this one will enjoy heavy support from three bomber wings and two battlefleets. Additionally, the Eye of Horus had been deployed in the area. We do not expect heavy casuaulties.

The lights fizzled then went out. The old man blinked and slowly rose from his chair, then walked up to the window. The entire street... the entire city of Oryx was blackened out. Only a handful of emergency lights were still working, like lost fireflies in the dark forest. Instinctively he looked to the western horizon. Just in time to see a flash, then another one and another. The rail launchers. It was one of these nights. Last time, the local power grid was able to contain the titanic energies drained by these half-kilometre tall tubes, but even the superconductive power lines weren't immune. He could see it happening with the eye of his mind, overloaded wires exploding with arcing electricity, melted ground, melted structures, rising toxic vapour.
    THUMP thump thump-thump.
    It was more felt than heard, low discharges coming from the distance of several kilometres. Another night like this, from many, since May began. Now coming into the second month. Even the climate started to change, unexpected storms and tornadoes. And thousands of victims after each night, mostly in Russia, where the thrice-redundant power lines were never fully completed, fires, chemical spillages, radioactive fallout.
    THUMP thump thump-thump.
    Huge guns. Aimed, as everyone knew, at Japan. Huge guns with huge bullets. Bullets filled with human... not, not human. But living, feeling payload.
    THUMP thump thump-thump.
    They went in perfect rhythm till morning. The electricity returned only by the next evening.

They were calling her Smiley, even though her birth name was JEN-007236681. Even the clones needed names to call each other by. Most of them had some private possessions, mementoes of sorts, bottle caps, old pictures, comic books. She had a plaque with a smiling face one of the human teachers gave to her, back when she was yet too small to carry a full-sized lasrifle or battle armor. They were sitting in a rail car, a row of fity almost identical faces to the left, a row to the right, a hundred clones with their visors up, fully geared up for combat, silent, expressionless, as the train was clanking and making its way through darkness, towards its destination, the Oryx Rail Launch Site, like so many identical trains.

The preliminary operation met unexpected resistance from the enemy airforce. Our bombers took substantial losses. However, the first phase was finished without any substantial delays. The forward Japanese defenses have been routed by aearial and naval bombardment, then cleared by surgical strikes of special forces units.

Humans were calling it "the Armageddon rain"; fiery streaks of drop pods entering the atmosphere, hour after hour, thousand after thousand, falling upon the outskirts of a doomed city. As soon as the pods cooled down, the hatches were shot out and JENs started to deploy and rally. Covered by smoke, divided into units of twelve, they advanced across the cratered hell left by the missile bombardment and entered the suburbs of Edo, like a tide of ants. The air was eerily silent. Smiley allowed herself a moment's pause, inhaling the morning mist, still tingling with Sarin gas that was of no consequence to the altered body chemistry of bioengineered soldiers. It was deadly to all other life, though, including those few citizens who couldn't or wouldn't run. A pair of children, laying on a perfectly cultivated lawn, a girl and a boy in pyjamas, embracing each other in the final moment of realisation that there is nobody left alive in their parent's car that was supposed to take them to safety. Smiley understood well. It was exactly like her sisters did when they knew they're about to die, an image of two burnt bodies, embracing each other in the remains of a drop-pod flashing in her mind.
    Suddenly, abruptly the silence was broken with a low whistle of mortar rounds, followed by explosions and staccato of automatic fire. The Japanese defenders decided it's time. Smiley's unit dispersed, she could glimpse some Japanese in urban-camo uniforms sprinting out of a large building ahead and diving behind prepared rows of sandbags. They wore no armor, they were not elites just standard conscripted soldiers. As seconds flew, the Egyptian side started to return more and more fire, crimson beams of lasrifles and black streaks of rockets. The battle was joined.

We are in control of the harbor and most of the residential areas of the city, however the losses of our clone divisions are far exceeding the predictions. The outer defensive rings, manned by light Japanese infantry were broken, however the industrial and administrative areas are held by elite units. To avoid excessive delays in taking the city, the second--wave deployment of five human airborne divisions has been authorized, after the enemy aerial defences are suppressed enough for the space planes to approach with minimal risk of being shot down. They will be targeted directly at key areas of enemy resistance.

Day 33

The dawn of the second day came abruptly, as a straight lance of laser light pierced the clouds and connected with the ground, instantly vaporising the immediate area. The Eye of Horus had opened. Artillery bombardment followed, directed at defensive strongpoints identified during the night skirmishes. The surviving JENs were ordered to resume the advance. House to house, Smiley's unit cleared three streets until it came to an abrupt stop. A heavily reinforced court building was blocking the further progress, its windows spewing endless bursts of extremely accurate, depleted-uranium-tipped bullets, piercing the visors and neckguards of advancing clones. A failed assault left the main staircase strewn with bodies, dead, dying or mutilated, it made no difference. Smiley's unit was ordered to attack one of the side windows. Hearing grenade explosions and gunfire to the left, she went right and around a pillar to flank the enemy. As she cleared the obstacle, her sisters were nowhere to be seen, instead she saw the wide back of black-armored soldier. A cybertrooper, most of the uniform and skin on his torso were gone, revealing subdermal armor plating. Smiley raised her gun but the cybernetic reflexes of the Japanese were faster, he turned on the spot and connected a wide knife with the throat of the clone. JEN's bodies were resistant to injury, and they felt little pain, but still they were just creatures of flesh, made in human image and couldn't survive the severing of carotid artery. Smiley felt sort of a surprise, her fingers clutching the trigger and evaporating a good portion of cybertrooper's abdomen, before the darkness fell and the world ceased to be.

Day 34

With both clones and human commandos bogged down in cityfighting and failing to produce a breakthrough, a decision was made to make one final push with our last remaining reserves, fifty thousand conscripts delivered via sea with the goal of policing the population in mind. By 1830 TMT, the final Japanese strongpoint in Edo had fallen, thus we have managed to meet the schedule. Preliminary assessments put our losses around 200,000 mark (40% of them human), much in excess of what was predicted. With the Japanese rearming more and more of their infantry with heavier weapons, more suitable to fight clones, it is argued that heavier artillery support will be needed to dislodge them in the future.

-Information Division

Leave a comment:

• Max_Smirnov
    replied
    Day 25

"I was informed that Nagano fell within a single day, with only light casaulties on our side. Congratulations, my dutiful servant, you're getting better with every battle."

"Light casaulties? You weren't there. Fifty thousand dead, forty thousand wounded, and against what? The city was defended by second-grade militia units, with no orbital defenses or even artillery support. They had new tactics, though. The city was mined, and they were blowing up every major building they were forced to retreat from. Sure it wasn't Nagoya, but we had to shed a lot of blood to win none the less."

"Those I call light casaulties. No losses in heavy equipment or experienced human staff. Unlike at Umi Yokohama, an entire reserve fleet thrashed, along with a full division of infantry who ended up trapped inside. My, loses in humans are so much less convenient. Especially when they pile up so quickly. We've lost much more ships and men than the Japanese."

"Damned Japanese fleet. What makes them so tenacious?"

"They have a whole generation of people who were born and spent their entire lives in undersea colonies. That environment is natural for them. Now, once they were equipped with the high technology stolen from us, they rule the seas."

"You seem to be taking this awfully lightly."

"It's not my job, Arturia. I have ensured the delivery of the first, decapitating strike. But completely defeating Japan is still a long, gruelling and costly process. Best left for professionals like you. A very long process indeed... Much longer than you realize."

"No, I haven't forgotten, even if it was so long ago. I was born to destroy Japan, wasn't I."

"How very perceptive of you."

"I remember how Merlin kept whining about how the Celtic nation is doomed, how unwinnable our situation is, how we should get as much as possible from allying with you... he feared many things, you, France, the Japanese..."

"How ironic that his death came from within his own country."

"I was never really listening to him. For me, it was simple. Someone with a will of iron and no compassion was needed to forge a powerful nation in a crucible of blood. I took this duty, this hateful curse because someone had to. I did not wish this fate for anyone else."

"Yes, of course..."

"Do not mock me. Maybe I played into your hands, but strenghtening my Empire through war was the only way out. I never really cared about anything else than the power of my country. Merlin kept begging you for technology, and you were providing, somethimes, on a whim, mostly when Japanese did something that made you uneasy. I never asked for anything, so I didn't feel like I owed you anything. Still it is you who came on the top..."

"It wasn't that obvious back then. What was obvious... even then, four thousand years ago... was that Japan has to be stopped before it is too late. Back then, they were the single most powerful empire. Not only that; while each of our three northern nations was hard pressed with our limitations, they have undergone rapid technological progress, united their people under one faith and seemed ready to invade Persia. And it was clear that if they were unchallenged, they will only grow expotentially from then on. I knew it even though I had no idea yet what power the technology could give them. Still I feel like we've barely made it. The colonization of the South went better than expected, the Indians never mounted any serious assault before we were ready, and my attacks against Japanese invasion forces sent to Persia slowed the Nekomimis down more than anticipated. Same with your conquest of India, it would be impossible, if not for the fact that more than half of Gandhi's forces were needlessly deployed along the Egyptian border in Himalayas, even though I lacked any means to attack them... And still... Back then I was fully sharing technological knowledge with France, and still we barely, barely kept an upper hand over the Japanese in that department. They never faced such challenges, they already had a strong, populous, well-developed country and an open route into the south Equatoria, the rich and poorly defended lands of Persia. I felt... I knew it, that we need to stick together, do everything in our power to slow them down, or else they will eventually gain such power, population, territory and resources that even our three nations combined couldn't hope to challenge them. And both Napoleon and Merlin shared that view."

"So this was your main objective since... since when?"

"The defeat of Japan? Yes. Since about five centuries before your birth, I think."

"All along? Even when your relations were good?"

"They were such fools to trust me... but I can be very convincing. And with all their genius, they always lacked one crucial ability - an understanding how others perceive them and why. No, there indeed was a time when I actually thought I don't need to destroy them anymore. The conquest of Russia - which was never really planned, not so fast, not single-handedly... but I couldn't let Stalin to develop technology so quickly, as it would only end up in Japanese hands - that war put Egypt on the top of the world, France was doing pretty well too, and so the risk of Japanese domination passed. As the Golden Century rolled on, I sincerily believed we're looking forward into an age of peace. Especially since, with Ifurita's and Bonaparte's help, I was winning the technological race to sea colonies. And then... proverbial five minutes before I had the technology... the Cataclysm. It completely devastated France, it ruined Egyptian science and economy, and as for Brittania... even if their losses were less painful, any losses are bad for a country that's still struggling to develop. The Japanese? In comparison, they were hardly affected at all."

"You never said what happened in your study. After you learned about the true scope of the Cataclysm... you disappeared there, and emerged... well, changed, as you are now."

"All my plans, all hard work turned to ashes. Sure, I could still launch massive sea colonization as planned, and do it better than the Japanese, but... France was gone, Brittania wasn't ready. Such a race would put those two far, far behind, turn them insignificant next to us and the Japanese. The alliance couldn't survive. It took me a while to understand... to understand there is only one option. Push the country onto much more costly path of war, so France and Brittania could develop and, at least when taken together, still equal Egypt in this alliance. I was weary, tired, scared. But when the decision to bring about the age of chaos was made, it was like... a brilliant flash of understanding. Fear and indecisiveness were no more. Everything was suddenly crystal clear. The prophecies were right after all. And I am sure you understand the dark appeal of utter destruction. Change. Chaos. So liberating. So instead of colonies, we were building weapons."

"I'm not sure if I believe your story. You seem to have a new story everytime I talk with you."

"Oh come on, everyone lies. Even if we think we're telling the truth we often lie to ourselves. I stopped to care long ago. The truth is created by the winners."

"...What I believe is that all of this is ultimately justified. That you're the only one capable of building a future worth fighting for. I really hope this is the case."

"You're here to make sure it happens, aren't you, dear?"

"Cut the honeyed words already... There is one more thing... one loose end. Any news on the Japanese leaders?"

"Not really, although... I sense some presence. A familiar one. A Master's presence. It's very faint, but... Maybe Perun survived after all, even though it doesn't smell like him, too chaotic. There were intelligence reports... unconfirmed ones, but still... The Japanese found the body of Empress Hinotebi as they took back the Haruhi Tower. It wasn't us who killed her... looked like electricity. Maybe it was suicide. Maybe it was Perun who killed her for failing him. Who knows. About Haruhi and Iskander, well, there is no trace of them."

"Even if he survived, that coward is probably hiding somewhere. But Hinotebi? Killing herself, deserting her country in the time of greatest need? How pathetic. They do not deserve pity."

"As you know, of the Japanese immortals, I was only ever interested in Hanekawa, the rest never stirred my curiosity. Maybe Iskander, but he turned out to be much less of a man than expected. Maybe Haruhi, too, Bonaparte once wrote to me that he'd appreciate if we passed her to him if we manage to capture her. He seems to harbor some special dislike to her. Still, even leaderless, the Japanese are people of supreme tradition, twisted honor and ultimate order. The clans are going to fight to the end, Arturia. Their backbones are inflexible and incapable of bending, so we have to break them first."

"It's a war now. Simple as that, Cleo, no vile words like these needed. The enemy must be crushed so they may never recover, wheteher we hate them or not does not matter."
    Last edited by Max_Smirnov; March 7, 2014, 21:48.

Leave a comment:

• Max_Smirnov
    replied
    Operation Excalibur, Day 16

"Lord Commissar, we have received new messages from the General Staff."

The unexpected voice caused Arturia to instinctively reach for her weapon; it took willpower to supress the impulse. It had been only several hours since the battle had ended. A few hours of uneasy rest after the battle trance that lasted for the best part of three days. Three days. Much more than anticipated. Then again, it was Nagoya. One of the oldest and most important cities of Japan, established well before written history. A mountain city known for its heavy industry. The Japanese turned it into a citadel, fortifying every house, changing every crossroads into a killing zone, employing every trick and trap they knew and preparing themselves for a fight to the death. They were learning, and unlike in Kyoto and Osaka, when the clone armies started to drop from the sky, they were ready. Two hundred thousand defenders with the core of two elite infantry divisions, armed with the best weapons and clad in the best armor the Empire had to offer. In the end, it was insufficient air and artillery support that resulted in almost quarter a million casualties on the Egyptian side. Arturia had seen it all, rivers of blood, mountains of mutilated bodies, perfect cloned bodies incinerated, torn apart, riddled with bullets, turned inside out. But over the moutains of bodies, still more clones came, and finally the defenders were overwhelmed by the simple application of sheer numbers. It was anticipated that the Red Army will hit the one-million-dead-mark before the fourth week of the war. But nothing else was ever expected. Millions more were ready to be sent into the meat grinder, millions of cheap soldiers armed with cheap weapons. While the Japanese Mark-75 Pulse-Rifle had over thirty moving parts and used armor-piercing rounds costing over twenty-five shekels each, the Egyptian standard-issue A-272 Lasrifle had only two moving parts and used no physical ammunition at all.

This is my rifle. It is my life. We are the masters of our enemy. Till there is no enemy.

Arturia's hands were still shaking, her armor and face was covered with blood and grime. The biggest, toughest land battle ever, and to think she thought the same about Kyoto, just a mere week ago. But Kyoto was relatively tame compared to Nagoya. A battle that expended more lives and ordnance than the entire conquest of Russia. Yet in this hell on earth, between countless split seconds that separated her from death, in this orgy of incessant killing no human or even clone could really comprehend, she felt like she touched God. Like after a hundred or more kills she started to understand the deepest, most basic reality. Now that feeling of profoundness was gone, leaving only emptiness. But the urge to kill wasn't gone. She blinked and inhaled slowly. She identified the newcomer as a human officer, standard uniform instead of a clone's light armored suit.

"...Speak."

"Still no word from our advance units in Sapporo and Nikko, we have to assume the Japanese now control what's left of these cities. However, there has been no word from the Japanese leaders either. Dying with the name of a dead god on their lips, how fitting... Changing the topic, the enemy responded to our naval challenge near Umi Hiroshima. And we have lost the battle, an entire battlefleet was sunk, including an aircraft carrier. At the same time, the British have lost Umi Naha. The Japanese production of their own variant of the Scout Sub is in full swing, and we can't expect easy victories in that area. However, except for fortifying the shores of Edo, the enemy didn't make any movements on land. As to be expected, with our strategy, anything slower than a jetfighter is reduced to..."

"An entire battlefleet... Damn it. How about our war plans?"

"They're in constant flux, as usual. I have the new orders here," he patted his briefcase. "And there is one piece of good news. Surprisingly, the anti-war unrest that was threatening Ifurita's regime seems to have mostly died out. Her cabinet is going to stay in power. They're promising more military support."

"I certainly hope so. Their advance is falling considerably behind what we have agreed upon."

"They'd better act more effectively, if they want their share in glory!"

Arturia smiled, then barely managed to not laugh out loud. It filled her with dread. Was she turning into Cleopatra? Into Azuria? Into someone from that wretched family she served?

"They were honorably dying for the common cause. They paid the ultimate price. For us. If they're too weak to make these sacrifices count, we will."

Leave a comment:

• Max_Smirnov
    replied
    Operation Excalibur, Day 1

"I hope you summoned me here for a reason," said Arturia, entering Cleopatra's command room onboard the Osiris One.

"Maybe." answered her mistress, smiling slightly. There was a sick, feverish intensity in her dark eyes, but the Red Knight missed it, preoccupied with her own worries.

"I hope it's not another one of your speeches! You know what, I'm more and more worried about you! You've changed again, and I don't like this. Have you forgotten the bigger picture here? There are space lizards out there who won't stop for anything if they one day decide to murder us all. All of us, all of the humanity, Cleo! And all you're doing since last couple of decades is just this crap about the building of a better society! I wanted to tell you this for a long time, you know? And now this war, dragging on for months now without any clear breakthroughs. If you're unwilling to go all out against Japan, sign a peace treaty with them. They've almost finished the design on their robotic ultimate missile defense system. After they deploy it, we won't be able to break through their lines without extreme losses. A world war of attrition puts the fate of the entire planet in jeopardy!"

"Haven't you sworn to kill Iskander with your own hands?"

"Oh come on, don't be ridiculous! The stakes are far higher here! If there is no war, I can challenge him to a duel. Can we talk about important stuff instead?"

"Indeed," said Cleopatra, smiling. This time, Arturia recognized this smile. A smile not seen in a long time; an icy smile with the eyes full of cold, calculating intelligence. "Very soon now, Arturia."

The Knight looked above Cleopatra's shoulder. It was displaying a long-range satellite image of Japan. Or rather, a specific part of Japan. The mountainous area of Hexagon, the heart of their power, the most heavily fortified area on the planet. Like a jewel in the crown, a small protrusion of Haruhi Tower could be visible even from such a distance, sticking out of the sprawling metropolis of Sapporo.

"Very soon what?" Arturia squinted her eyes. "Are you planning an attack on Sapporo? We both know it's impossible. Even at the cost of our entire airforce, the best we could do is to nuke Kagoshima and maybe Fukushima. But that would leave us pretty much defenseless, a futile gesture..."

Cleopatra leaned towards her. "Arturia. I will say it once again. I always go directly for the jugulars. Always."

"What?"

"Maybe you have forgotten who I am. It's understandable. I made every effort to conceal it. Even from myself, yes. Tonight the mask falls off. Witness the moment of truth."

As on cue, an intense flash of light illuminated the spot where Sapporo was standing. Arturia's eyes went wide with surprise.

"The Japanese put all their faith in their machines, their artificial intelligences, their robots," continued Cleopatra. "But in the end, their machines have failed them. The flesh is more powerful than steel. The cunning and the hatred prevails. There could be no place on this planet for me and them at the same time. It's not about power. It's about the survival of myself and all that I - that we - stand for."

As she was speaking, more and more nuclear explosions were slowly engulfing the entire Hexagon area.

"There were more things, like how their stupid pride and silly grandeur was always grating on my nerves. But there are more important things. Like life and freedom. Even if they prevailed peacefully, and after the Cataclysm it was becoming sure they are going to, our lives and freedom would depend on their whims. I was a slave once, Aturia. I know slavemasters. And the Japanese rulers are slavemasters. Not Napoleon, not Ifurita. If they won, they'd allow us to retain our dignity. But the Japanese are the true enemy. And so, they must be destroyed. At any cost. Only after that we can start the work to save the humanity."

"But- But how?"

"In your honor, I have called this Operation Excalibur." Cleopatra stood up, her two Snakes of the Nile appearing around her, her whole persona starting to radiate with almost blinding power. A radar image was superimposed over the screen. Hundreds, thousands of contacts, almost all of them in Egyptian red. Cleopatra raised her hand.

"Behold! The armies of war descend screaming from the heavens!"

Down on the surface of the planet, Sapporo was laying in ruins, burning. There was little warning against an enemy that came straight from the cold depths of space. There was little defense against their speed and overwhelming numbers. The nuclear blasts flattened huge areas of the city, killing tens of millions. Only the immense spike of Haruhi Tower shrugged off the heat and the blast waves like they were nothing. But now, from the rubble, from their coffin-like drop-pods, often buried deep underground by the force of the impact, thousands of grim figures were rising, covered in sooth and grime. The genetically-engineered supersoldiers have landed immediately in the wake of the atomic holocaust. Now, paying no heed to poisonous fumes, choking smoke or radiation, they were steadily advancing towards the Tower. Thousands of their sisters have already died, killed by the anti-air defences. But there were many thousands more of them, ruthless, thirsting for revenge and long since bereft of any hope of surviving the war. And if there was no hope, there was also no fear. They simply were doing what they were created for.

Leave a comment:

• Eerion
    replied
    The fire was slowly eating the wood in proper, traditional fireplace. A private request from the Empress could not be ignored, even if constructing such a thing at the top of Tower of Haruhi was extremely difficult. Yet engineers succeeded and thanks to that Hinotebi could relax and silently watch the flickering flames. She stretched her hands towards the fire. It was hot, as it should be. However, for any other citizen using the modern blue fireplace’s that would be quite a surprise.
    “It’s not the same.” Hinotebi muttered disappointed. The warmth did not feel the same without the frozen halls of Kyoto palace. To truly appreciate the blessing of fire ones first must feel the penetrating cold. Nowadays, with houses perfectly protected from the weather outside, with air filtering and conditioning nobody needed the fire anymore. It was forgotten.

Someone knocked on the open doors “Am I interrupting you?” Iskandar asked. His silhouette was barely visible, as all lights were off. Fire was the only source of it.
    “No.” She answered after a while. “What do you need?”
    “Knowledge.”
    She looked at him, unsure what kind of knowledge he sought. Alexander stood there, awaiting the answer, but Empress looked back at the fire.
    “I want to know how all of this ended the way it is now.” He added.
    “It is very unlike you. You have never shown even a slight interest in the past.”
    “I am still not interested. But I made a promise and if I have to fulfill it I need to learn more about this world. In the times like these... it’s necessary.”
    Hinotebi did not answer. She knew who did he promise something to. Perun. The used to lock themselves away from others and talk for long hours about topics unknown even to her. Every time when they left the face of Iskandar looked serious, what back then was something completely out of place. This man smiled whenever possible, even if others cried. Now his smile was shown only to the public. He only wore it. Something changed him. Like a poison can take the life out of health man, something took his cheerfulness, which he spread around like a plague. Was it a nuclear war? A promise he made to Perun? Something else or all of it combined? Whatever it was it left a shell of Iskandar and as in the past his eternal smile could make her furious sometimes, she missed it now. In this sad world smiles were becoming more and more necessary, yet all that was being spread around was hate and nuclear radiation.
    “Sit down.” She broke the silence, while throwing a new trunk into the fire. “It’s going to be a long chat.”

“At the very beginning... you know how it’s like. You have seen it yourself, unlike me. Yet I have heard everything felt so huge. Villages were months away from each other, very often separated by tundra and glacier what made trade almost impossible. Yet our people, generation after generation have slowly conquered this unforgiving land. At that time we began making contact with other civilisations. Persians, Romans, Egyptians, French, Celts, Indians and Russians. When it happened, most of the local tribes were already absorbed into greater nations, with very few exceptions.”
    “I want to know about nations. Their leaders and what made them act the way they did.” Iskandar interrupted her calmly. “Books do not give me a reasonable answer. Propaganda is a good thing, unless you seek the truth.”
    “So that’s what you want to know? Bring me something to drink then. I won’t do all the speaking with dry mouth.”

“Romans... this nation was more than peaceful. I’ve heard that first Hanekawa called them sheeps. Firstly they were conquested by our culture. Their laidback lifestyle made their own one very fragile, and with the technological advance we had it was just a matter of time before they adjusted to the “more convenient” one. Later they were partially conquered by Russians who sought natural resources and found them in northern Italy. Much later they were conquered by French. This was the only time they actually tried to resist, yet it was already too late. They never sought anything, never wanted to settle any lands except Italia or conquer anything so they ended being conquered. The fate of their leader, known as X is uncertain, as no one has ever seen him. Most likely he died during the siege of Rome. That’s all I can tell about them. We hoped to forge a proper alliance with them, but due to their lack of power they quickly became insignificant and ended up under our protectorate.” Hinotebi took a sip and thrown another trunk into the fireplace.
    “Persians shared the same fate. They were neighbours to Indians, who were one of the most powerful back then. They tried to fight back, yet with bad results. Eventually they were conquered by us, and it was Hanekawa herself who ended the life of Persian master. Persia itself was a very unlucky terrain for us. The first war with Egypt started because of it. I’ll start from the beginning, yet first you need to refill my glass. Somehow it’s empty again.”
    “Somehow.” Iskandar nodded calmly standing up. He picked up the chilled bottle of whiskey from the fridge hidden in the oak furniture and refilled the glass.
    “Thank you. Egyptians were people with incredibly good and bad luck at the same time. Their country was very small back then and with Celts and French as very close neighbours they had no area to settle. Because of that they honed their seafaring skills. They created a colossus, a wonder turning Egypt into the naval powerhouse. With best maps taken from every corner of the world, they started traveling around the world seeking new places to inhabit. Still they lived in fear of neighbours, much more powerful back then. If allied they could conquer Egypt in several years and this is what Cleopatra was afraid of. It was back then when we offered to be a “fear factor” for them, as we were slowly becoming one of the most powerful nations in the world due to our unmatched colonisation skills. Yet these fears turned out to be unjustified, and after the northern Asia became inhabited by Egyptians, they saw a threat in us. Acting as allies, they offered us protection from Russian fleets venturing onto our waters from time to time in exchange for halt on plans that would overthrow their naval supremacy. Weeks later they backstabbed us when we sent an expedition to Persia. After that they sank several of our trade and fishing boats, but that was all. Our second expedition has conquested Ectabana, which became known as Tochigi in later years. After many years, after our army progressed through the plains of Persia, they attacked us again, just weeks after the fall of Persis. Years later we have built Tosa in this area, so you should know where it was. Back then our forces, tired after the siege of the city were taken by surprise and completely wiped out. It slowed down our march toward Persian capitol greatly, but eventually we have succeeded. The Egyptians withdrew from Persia and we have created a border in Himalayas, which was maintained until the nuclear day. Many years later Egyptians, unbothered by anyone invaded Russia, which pushed them from the average to the top of the world. They became a powerhouse in every possible aspect, yet we were not able to interfere due to war with India and others did not bother. We are paying the price for this since these times. When we managed to close the gap between our two nations, they attacked us with nuclear warheads. Yes. Since the dawn of time they behaved like that. Whenever they saw a threat in anything, they attacked it. The economy and city planning of Egypt was very good on short and middle distance, still it lacked on a long one, as opposed to us. They made up this difference with cowardly and treacherous, yet successful tactics. Is it everything about them? Yes. I think so. But my glass is empty again Iskandar.”
    A small ritual was performed again, and Hinotebi, satisfied took another sip of whiskey.
    “Indians... They were a crazy nation. Gandhi was literally building a throne made of skulls of his enemies. He fought anyone he could, be it a small tribe or a nation and no diplomacy was useful until his war with Britain and Egypt. It was when he became slightly more reasonable and began trading with us for a short time until we have decided to put an end to his country. His unreasonable aggression towards any living being made him an enemy of the world, especially of Celts, who sought greater power and saw the opportunity within the lands of India. In the end it was me and Perun who put an end to Gandhi’s life. It was the short discussion with him that ensured Perun about the greater game that is going around and made him plan beyond what was going on around. But Indians... our problem with them was that majority of their cities on our border were actually a mountain fortresses so it took a lot of firepower to capture them. This was also the reason why we were not able to interrupt the Egyptian invasion on Russia. The war in Himalayas cost us a lot. Way too much to be honest.
    About Russians... they were a very unusual nation to be honest. Their growth during the ancient times was beyond anyone’s imagination. They were building wonders as they saw fit and their distance from any other country kept them safe for long time. Still it all ended after, for one reason or another, they established a forbidden city. They shut down their borders and their superior technology suddenly became a thing of the past. They conquered a little bit of Italy and did some skirmish on our and Egyptian waters but that was it. Suddenly the greatest country in the world acted as if it disappeared entirely. Still, hundreds of years later, under the leadership of Stalin, they began their march toward greatness again. Their technology development once again became greater than many countries combined and quickly surpassed our technology which forced everyone to send spies to Russia in order to steal their technology. It was the moment, when Egypt attacked them and started capturing city after city with ease thanks to the fact that huge part of Russian army was still underdeveloped. They had some top-notch units, yet due to the sudden advancement they did not manage to upgrade everything. Eventually they were conquested and Russia became nothing more, but a part of Egypt. During these times our relations with Egypt became warmer and at the end of the war we have captured three Russian cities. All citizens were enforced into military and brought back to protect eastern colonies. Back then they greatly preferred being under our rule then of the one of their nemesis. And... this is the end of the Russian chapter, as well as the end of the whiskey in my glass. I need a refill.”

“French... they have always been their own worst enemy. A steady, rather peaceful country in the north, surrounded by imposed allies and nothing to conquer.”
    “Imposed allies?” Iskandar looked surprised. “Explain this please.”
    “For a long period of time, Celts, Egyptians and French had somewhat similar level of power. Of course there were differences in things like science and such, yet when it comes to combat capacity they were not too far from each other. Moreover, since all of them were close to each other, any form of aggression would lead to the retaliation from the third country what would lead to the destruction of the attacker. Two on one was impossible to win in any combination. As a result all three of them created an alliance. It has survived until now, yet in pretty twisted form. Cleopatra does what she feels like and others just go along with it.” Hinotebi stretched, while yawning. It was getting really late, so she could postpone the rest until tomorrow, yet on the other hand the sofa and fire were creating such nice atmosphere she did not feel like moving anywhere else. On top of that her glass was refilling... by more or less itself, what was another reason not to move out of here. “Where did I finish? Right, French. They were developing pretty well for a long period of time, surpassing the other two countries for thousands of years. Until the establishment of Kyoto Exchange they were the richest country in the world. They also created an army and armada that conquered Rome later, until Napoleon made a terrible mistake. He believed that his nation become responsible enough to rule for themselves. This was the beginning of their downfall. The democratic country focused on current wellbeing of France completely forgetting about future, possibilities or risks. People fought to get as rich without giving a second thought about country’s well being. Going to war became something completely out of option, since French citizens did not even want to think about it. During this time, Egyptians attacked Russia. With us and Celts focused on conquering Asia and French completely incapable of posing any threat they had no one to stand in their way. At the same time all that this northern country did was colonisation of small and hardly important arctic isles. Of course it was better than nothing, yet compared to the gains of other countries it was... nothing. Still, Napoleon did not believe his actions were a mistake, yet he knew a leader is required. He eventually created something between our young nationalism and democracy, but it was too late. At this point France existed only because Egypt allowed them. Then the great cataclysm struck, sinking majority of French industrial city, turning them into country somewhat similar to Italy they once conquered. However, unlike the Romans, Napoleon is still struggling to rebuild his country and recreate its former glory. The only problem is that the very moment he will get close to his goal, the Egyptian shall destroy him, as they despise not being clearly superior over anyone.”
    “So it turns out that French history is strongly connected to Egyptian one. This explains many things.”
    “Yes. It is, yet not as much as British. But first... you know what you have to do.” Empress gave the glass to Iskandar and throw another log into the fire. She played a little bit with a steel rake, striking out hundreds of sparks.
    “British.” Nekomimi spoke loudly, as if looking for proper words. “Their beginning was very similar to ours. A cultists ruled over the country, focusing on colonisation and neglecting anything else. For a very long time they were clearly afraid of us. I do not know if the fear factor I mentioned you earlier worked on them, or did the rumors about our vast country did the job, yet they were scared of our power. This, combined with Egyptian betrayals made these two countries become awfully close. Unfortunately for us, Celts were very naive. They believed the propaganda that Egyptian attacks on us in Persia were done for the sake of slowing us down and helping them, while it was clearly a fight of position number one in the world, and Britain was barely relevant there. Especially back then. Yet that’s what happened. They worked for Egypt, almost becoming communists themselves. Fortunately, Ifurita was reasonable enough to figure out that it would end up in being completely absorbed by their allies. Since that moment, they tried to increase their own importance, while being in military alliance with Egypt. They leech on them, trying to gain as much as they can, what you could clearly notice recently. Cleopatra on the other hand allows it to happen, since thanks to this alliance they are too powerful in all out war against the rest of the world, so their gain is inmeasurable. This is why we cannot wage war only against Egypt, but also Britain, what is very inconvenient for us.” She took a deep breath. “That’s all I think. Nothing more I can tell you about the past.”
    “I’m thankful. It allowed me to understand some motives I was finding weird.” Iskandar stood up slowly, leaning heavily on his knees. “I think it’s time for some sleep. You should do it as well.”
    “I will. Soon.” Hinotebi spoke, while looking at the fire through her crystal glass.
    “But you know. You really are a daughter of Perun. You inherited his alcohol resistance after him for sure.” Alexander smiled gently.
    “True. I just don’t know if it’s good or bad?”
    “Who knows?” Macedonian shrugged, while walking out of the room. “Good night.”
    “G’night.” Nekomimi reponded with a huge yawn.

Leave a comment:

• Max_Smirnov
    replied
    Red Army Central Command Nexus, Himalaya, 0330 TMT (Theban Mean Time), 26th of August, 1979

General Abu "Tiger" Moffat, the chief commander of the strategic defense of the Union, stormed inside the war room, his uniform jacket unbuttoned, his hair wild. It was obvious he was abruptly woken up just a few minutes ago.

"What the hell is going on?" he demanded, to no one in particular, as most of the officers were still missing at this late hour. He was answered by one of the clones that manned the tactical consoles instead. The chair swiveled and the white-haired Chief Lieutenant spoke:

"Massive number of contacts on our radars, sir. At least two thousands fast-movers, incoming from the Japanese mainland on three major approaches: Quban nexus, D'Jalandhar and Iwaki. Similar situation in Russia, over a thousand contacts moving to engage our naval and land targets."

"Well f*ck," the General gritted his teeth. "Proceed with defense plan Alpha..." for whatever good it's going to do, he added in his thoughts. There were simply too many airplanes for the defenders to stand a chance. "Immediately notify all the airforce commanders, including the Northern Theatre. Tell them to scramble everything they've got! Defcon 1 is declared."

He looked at the main display once again. It didn't look good, to say the least, but since he had assumed this post, he frankly expected nothing else when this day is finally going to come. He was only angry that this happened just after the general staff finally agreed to air defense upgrades he was asking for years... but before those upgrades actually arrived.

He grabbed the receiver of the Red Phone. "It has started. The second nuclear war."

0440 TMT

"The whole first line of defense ceased to exist," the clone lieutenant was reporting in an emotionless voice. "Multiple nuclear detonations at cities of Kazan, Naquada, Quban, D'Jalanhar and Iwaki. We've also already lost several destroyer groups on the Adriatic Sea. Enemy Space Planes were detected in the second wave. The satellite grid downed a few hundreds, after the tip of the assault was caught in their crossfire, but most made it through and from what we can make out from garbled transmissions, deployed troops in the nuked areas."

"F*cking Japs, sending the airborne in to finish the job. We'll see what are you going to do when we'll drop five thousand interceptors on your sorry asses."

"Wait, General! One of their air groups... Some of the obsolete fighter-bombers that were used as decoys. They've breached the second defense line and are proceeding towards Bharuch!"

The General looked at the tactical map. Hordes of interceptors and SAM batteries of the second line were engaging the old jetfighters, but to no avail. Nothing should have survived so much firepower directed at it, but the Japanese group was stubbornly proceeding towards its target.

"Just fifteen minutes more..." muttered the General, observing endless waves of Egyptian interceptors supercruising towards the battle from the north. But he already knew they won't make it in time. "What the f*uck is wrong with these defenses! On simulations they were at least four times more effective!"

"The SAM batteries are reporting high rates of misfires and severe difficulties in cutting through the enemy jamming."

"That's what happens when you neglect upgrading the equipment for two decades..."

"Bharuch's air defense grid compromised. Nuclear strikes detected," reported the clone.

Union's Government Compound, Thebes, 2315 TMT

Arturia looked really pissed off when she was reading the report; in part it had to be caused by the light manner in which Cleopatra was taking the whole situation.

"The air and sea battles over Russia and Persia are mostly concluded. We've lost about five hundred additional airplanes, and a few groups of Destroyers and Scout Subs. In turn, the Japanese force was decimated. We have downed almost two thousands of their jets and two entire wings of stealth bombers. Their screening fleet took a beating too, their losses in destroyers and submarines roughly equal to ours, but we've also sunk one Aegis Cruiser group and one of their aircraft carriers. However... The nuclear strikes inflicted over eighty million civilian and over half a million military casualties," she added with a heavy voice.

"They were just paying us back, weren't they..." smiled Cleopatra.

"They have also deployed four airborne divisions onto the nuked areas. The bastards were given orders to slaughter any survivors. We have wiped them out, but not before they managed to carry out their task," continued Arturia, her voice slowly becoming more and more angry.

Cleopatra shrugged. "Mercy is a privilege of the strong."

"It is more than just that! Using a weapon, even a nuclear one, against an enemy is one thing; purposefully slaughtering the wounded and the surrendering is just barbarism!"

The dark-haired beauty just smirked. "Well, maybe that is so. Still there is another bit you might be interested in. My sources told me that Iskandar himself took part in the extermination of D'Jalanhar."

"What? Him?" Arturia blinked in disbelief.

"Why would I lie to you. Maybe he finds such endeavors fun."

"I never liked him, but I had no idea he is such a... little, petty bastard. I will kill him with my own hands." She struck the inside of her palm with her fist, then squinted at Cleopatra dangerously. "Why haven't you ordered a full-scale retaliation yet? We have enough nuclear warheads to turn half of their mainland into molten slag."

Cleopatra suddenly laughed. "Retaliate against what? That puny attempt? Please."

Arturia could just look at her with a shocked expression, stricken completely mute. The ancient queen chuckled for a while more, then covered her mouth and waved her other hand.

"All in due time, darling," she finally said, her face and voice serious again. "All in due time. I have already talked to Ifurita, and she wasn't very happy... The Japanese are in for a few nasty surprises. This will have to quench your blood thirst. For now."
    Last edited by Max_Smirnov; January 9, 2014, 05:29.

Leave a comment:

• Eerion
    replied
    “Why don’t you marry one of them?” Empress asked.
    “Excuse me?” Iskandar looked at her as if he wasn’t sure if he has heard the question properly.
    “You can take one of the girls as wife. This way we can... – The woman was searching for a proper word – introduce them to the world without creating too much suspicion.”
    “Are you out of your mind?”
    “Why?” A nasty smile appeared on Hinotebi’s face. “They work as intended down there if that’s what you’re asking about.
    “Don’t tell me you tested it personally?” He asked, but her smile gave him an answer. He covered his face with his palm. “Whatever. It’s not what I’m worried about.”
    “Then what? Don’t you want to end these jokes with you and cats?” Nekomimi sat on the table and crossed her legs.
    “It’s true that they have agreed to work with us. Still we haven’t learned much. They hide their identity, creators, everything. What’s worse they did not pledge loyalty to you. What if they change sides? If they betray us?”
    “It’s very unlike you to worry about such things, Alexander.” She pouted with disappointment.
    “You know why well enough girl!” He stood up. “If that’s all you have to tell me then I’m off. And about cats... I don’t think I shall ever visit UN forums again. After that assassination attempt...”
    “We cannot trust Britain anymore, right? Well whatever. You are going to take the girls with you. We have to flip the coin of theirs. Keeping them hidden and restrained is more dangerous than making them work for us.”
    “When?”
    “Eventually, my dear Iskandar. Eventually.”

“What are you thinking about?” A cyborg called Luca asked him.
    “Just reminding something.” Alexander answered without looking at her. “A conversation I had few years ago.”
    “Ahh...” The girl pouted her lips, as if disappointed that he did not tell her anything more. But he avoided her gaze. She looked innocent. So innocent, that the military uniform looked on her like some kind of a misunderstanding. But he knew what she is capable of. He was well aware that soon she’s going to begin a bloody slaughter unachievable for normal human beings. Or even him. He could not ignore bullets like these two girls. For them it was nothing. Torn apart skin could be easily replaced thanks to cloning technology, so they had absolutely no reason to care about anything.

“Attention soldiers.” The pilot spoke through the speakers. “We are changing course. Our new target is Himeji. I repeat. Our new target is Himeji.”
    “What does it mean?” Luka asked again?
    “Our marine transport had to be shot down.” He answered sadly while biting his lip.
    “Is it bad?”
    “SNAFU”
    “What?” She stomped with her feet to display a dissatisfaction.
    “Situation Normal – All ****ed Up. This is war girl. Get used to change of plans.”

Himeji. Long time ago it was Iskandar’s favourite city. Rich and mighty. A good base camp for visiting Egypt and Brittania, which were still friendly back then. But it was a thing of the past. He was happy that they changed its name after the conquest. He saw it few times during his flights to the UN meetings. Seeing the fumes coming out from communist factories build in the place of old monuments made him really sad. All the beauty of this city was destroyed in order to equalize. The forsaken communist idea he never could comprehend.

“We are entering the point zero. Prepare to jump.” The voice came through the speakers again. Iskandar stood up slowly and opened the doors. The light was still red but he wanted to see the city for the last time. The nuclear cloud was slowly disappearing revealing the remains of what used to be a 30 million metropolis. Buildings and fortifications were molten almost to the ground. They were equalized.

“Egyptians gave us quite a present with these executions.” Haruhi laughed loudly. “Now we can nuke these cities and not a single Japanese is going to die.”
    “The people are still going to complain. We are going to do exactly what happened to us decades earlier. No. They are not going to be satisfied with that.” Iskandar objected. He knew well enough how people react to nuclear war. Even if it’s justified.
    “If you don’t do anything, they are going to complain. If you attack, they are going to complain. No matter what we are going to do, some people will complain. It does not matter.” Hinotebi answered. “What’s the funniest, we only enforce the Egyptian concept. They want to have a buffer zone between Egypt and Japan? We will give it to them. But unlike them, we are going to do this properly.”

“What are you waiting for? Jump!” Luca’s shouted behind him. Alexander looked at the light. It was green.
    “One day these reminiscences are going to kill me. I’m getting old and sentimental” he muttered when jumping. Other units started deploying earlier. Single enemy anti air defences, that somehow survived the nuclear blast started sending the deadly chains of light at paratroopers. Not enough to even pose a proper threat to the assaulting force. It was a desperate and brave, but a futile measure. Luka passed him by, carrying a heavy minigun. The weight of her body combined with unusual weapon was making her fall faster than anyone. Still he knew it’s not going to damage her body. They did some excessive tests in labolatory when it comes to that.
    The second minigun begun shooting back far away on his right. Second cyborg, named Miku jumped without parachute and opened fire mid air. This girl was going berserk when fighting. A complete madness that cost lives of more than thirty Japanese during the tests in Tower of Haruhi. And now this insanity was being unleashed onto remaining Egyptian forces.
    “Good luck.” Iskandar thought. “It seems it’s going to end before I even touch the ground.”

“We are ready to attack Ma’am.” An officer saluted to Haruhi.
    “Good. Get on your position!” She answered coldly. Suzumiya looked at the TV screen in the corner, as the soldier walked away. Hinotebi was giving a speech. About the danger that Egyptian army poses on the border. How Japan cannot live in constant fear of another nuclear attack. About all the harm these betrayers dealt to them. About three hundred millions slaughtered without mercy. About the executions in Himeji and Iwaki. And about revenge. The long awaited one.
    Haruhi stopped listening. She does not need to be convinced. What’s more, there was a job to be done.
    “All units. Formation gamma. Proceed with caution until air support reaches you.”
    She looked at the map. The fleet might not be the biggest one around, but with swift strike the difference should be negated. Moreover she has received air support from capitol, so there was a chance to completely obliterate enemy sea defences if she played it properly. The land ones... nukes were on the way so she was not worrying about this one.
    “This is Sapporo. Haruhi, do you copy?” A Chiyome’s voice interrupted her planning.
    “Loud and clear. Haruhi’s here. What’s up?”
    “You must change the course of your space planes. We are unsure how, but enemy orbital defences are capable of spotting and shooting them down. According to the data I have I’m giving you new coordinates for them. First 1-3-0 until they catch up to second destroyer fleet. Then 4-2-3 for next one hundred miles and from that point go straight for the target. Do you understand?”
    “Wilco.” Suzumiya answered shortly. “Sending new directions to the unit.”
    “Roger. I wish you luck. Over and out.” Mochizuki ended the conversation.
    Haruhi opened the mouth, wanting to ask about the second operation, but she gave up on that idea. Additional distractions are not a good thing right now. There was a very delicate plan to execute and she had to make sure everything works out properly.

The operation was successful. The remaining Egyptian forces were slaughtered and the city now officially ceased to exist.
    “What are you looking for?” Miku asked.
    “For...” Iskandar turned away and stopped mid sentence. A cold shiver went down his spine. All the skin on a girl was completely torn off revealing the metallic body. Covered in blood and soot, she looked like avatar of death. Fortunately she has regained her senses already what meant the fight in her area ended quite a while ago. “I’m looking for a place where we can land an evacuation plane. We are done here. Time to move on.”
    “Where to?” She smiled, asking. On this unnatural robotic face of her, with blood all over it looked terrifying. Like a madman.
    “Where we are needed.” He suppressed his feelings. There was no point in being afraid. She was on his side. At least for now. “Find Luca and bring her to me. We are leaving as soon as possible.”
    “Yees!” The robot answered with a very cheerful girly voice. It was the last thing that suited to this machine of death.
    “They are a message.” Alexander thought, while watching the running cyborg. “A simple “You are not prepared” from someone. But is that person an enemy or ally? And are we the receiver of a message or did we unintentionally intercepted it? Too many unanswered questions.” He turned around and started looking for the landing area. There was much more to be done.

Leave a comment:

• Max_Smirnov
    replied
    The Eight

A Celtic trireme was making its way across the blue expanse of the sea, the scorching sun making the crowd of half-naked, shackled and sweaty rowers even more sweaty. The paddles were creaking, and the slave-driver was surveying his charges with a bored expression. The camera followed the stairs up, onto a strikingly different deck, rich with of gold, silk and half-naked slave girls, surrounding fat and bored patricians. Only one figure was fully dressed, a woman in a black, spiky suit of armor. Eating from a plate of grapes, she was expressionlessly watching an Indian girl being tied to a mast and flogged.

"Seriously," said Cleopatra, entering the longue. "Watching movies about yourself? It's like masturbation."

Arturia winced, grabbing a remote and shutting the set down. "There's nothing on the TV."

"Nothing at all? There is more than four hundred channels across the globe, dear," answered her mistress, activating the commset, situated in the opposite corner. Arturia looked past her shoulder, onto the screen, and saw some military officer, flanked by a pair of JENs, genetically engineered supersoldiers, the newest form of genetic horror in a female form that was supposed to replace the traditional clones in frontline duties. The British, who supplied the technology to make JEN development possible were happy with undersea expertise they received in return and asked no questions. "You look really bored. Maybe I should start a small war or two to keep you entertained?"

Arturia winced even harder, struggling to keep calm. "I was watching a program about quasars, but then it ended, and the rest of Egyptian TV is mostly happy agitprop songs and irrelevant economy news. The Japanese is almost as bad, with nothing but boring traditional music, retarded celebrity shows and weird porn. The French are making the best movies but there was this historical drama on the Numantia Four, and this actress playing myself is pretty good... Hey, is this the guy who supervises the railgun implementation?"

"Yes, he scored another failure, the hand-held versions are still either unsafe or good only for a couple of shots. And not better than firearms of similar weight. Despite all the recent progress, we lack power cells of required density and heat efficiency. Maybe I should favor him, though..." she wondered. "The guy who develops laser rifles has gathered a lot acclaim recently, maybe if he hates the railgun guy more, he'll work his scientists harder..."

"I don't quite understand this. You're not a person to be excited about all these military novelties, yet the 1976-1985 ten-year plan puts enormous resources into expanding our already bloated power grid, adding fifty nuclear power plants alone while the current ones are working at barely seventy percent of capability, not even mentioning the doubling of geothermal power generation. It's like you wanted to put a fuel-cell recharge station in every last village and a lascannon behind every bush. And we're not even planning to rearm our tanks, airplanes and ships with railguns yet. "

"Well maybe I just don't want power shortages in the future. The oil is running out, and we're rather shutting down coal-fired plants than adding new ones. Maybe you liked the toxin-filled skies of the Egypt of old, but my people didn't."

"Your people, right. I'm not sure we went the right way, Cleo. I understand the need of safety, but... what are you planning to do, change everyone's life into a sweet hell, don't think, don't live fully, just linger while being supported by the state, listening to happy music and knowing little about the outside world. You even ordered to cut us off the global network, up to and including launching a web of jamming satellites, and create our own internet..."

"...Which serves educational, scientific and communication purposes instead of being a cesspool of porn and retardation. This is just a transitory phase. We strive to create a peaceful society of equal chances, thus a society inherently weak; if the truth needs to be sacrificed to protect it, truth be damned. I told you long ago, before it gets better, it has to get worse. The Japanese represent a system of masters and slaves, immortal in its structure and absolutely incompatible with ours. In the future, we will create a society more free, more wealthy, more conscious, better even than the British one you like so much. With no illness, no starvation, no hypocrisy, no injustice. What is their plan for the future? News of what Hinotebi ate for breakfast, forever and ever. Their cherished society, their cities, their works, pure and beautiful like a perfect diamond. Thankfully I hate everything that's pure and beautiful. Except you, of course."

"Oh f*ck you," said Arturia, wincing really hard now. She didn't feel either. "Speaking of hatred, I've been to the Purple Labs. What are you planning to achieve with keeping Azuria there? It's been several years already and let's face it, you won't make her your obedient subordinate, her willpower is beyond any other person's I know. And she's hopelessly, utterly insane. These... treatments she receives do not seem to serve any purpose either."

"Oh, Azuria, the creature most foul and evil," smiled Cleo.

"No, I'm serious. You're just needlessly tormenting her. We should just put her out of her misery."

"Arturia the knight, ever so willing to perform a mercy killing or two! Are you suggesting me to murder my own sister? So... ruthless..." She winked, her voice sensual now.

"Just stop messing with me already, all right?" retorted the blonde, feeling being struck at a weak spot again.

"My dear Arturia. Either in war or in love, I always go straight for the jugulars."

Back in her own study, alone, Arturia was finally able to calm down, with some help of her chocolate candies. Cleopatra, disgusting and enticing in equal measures. And no matter how much time passed, always mysterious. Long ago, the knight decided to solve that mystery, a mystery undoubtedly linked to the very mystery of this world Arturia happened to be born on.

Cleopatra never ordered that expedition to the depths of the Jamaican trench, like she purposefully avoided asking questions about the Cataclysm. Yet now it wasn't an issue. A modern Scout Sub with improved engines and fuel source, the newest model that appeared a couple of years ago, made such an expedition an easy thing to do. With the liquid breathing equipment, it was no longer necessary for a submarine to be sealed against the pressure of the extreme depth. The pressure inside pilot's body being equal to the pressure of the outside, a tightsuit to insulate against the cold was all the protection needed.

And indeed, the trip had been worthwhile. An immense, geologically large but definitely artificial structure was sitting there, a few miles beneath the crack in Earth's crust. Still beyond reach, not without building an excavation the size of Atlantic Accelerator there, but still, on the very bottom of a cave she explored, some hints could be found. A caved in chamber with mysterious and obviously broken machinery. And a set of stone tablets, too huge to be moved, but copying them was simple enough, as their only message was a set of simplified pictures, now remade in a deck of cards she was holding. Eight cards. The meaning of the number was beyond obvious.

Then there was a question of understanding their meaning. Arturia's memories returned to her meeting with a person whom her intuition pointed her towards...

Despite the day and age, the small jungle island was still impossible to find for the uninvited, forever hidden in mists that confused even the best technology. But the Masters knew exactly where it was, and so did she, by extension. The humid heat was a much bigger problem, especially when wearing a replica of her ancient black armor.

The gorgeous woman who greeted her in front of the hut was as huge as a JEN, but she most certainly wasn't one, and not only because of her vivid face, healthy skin hue and long, blonde hair. The person who lived here was the last one who would create something like a vat-grown supersoldier. With some surprise though Arturia noticed her pointed ears.

"Hey, you, bad case of fashion," said the stranger, putting hands on her hips. "I don't know who you are and how you've gotten here, but if you seek his wisdom, ritualistic body paint is the only respectable choice of clothing. In your case, it'd be a sensible change too, as you're on a quick route towards being cooked alive." Of course, the large woman herself was fully adhering to said custom.

"It's not a disrespect I seek," said Arturia, removing her visor. " I simply do not wish to hide my true appearance. I am a killer, not a pilgrim. Nor a desperate virgin."

The woman barely flinched when she recognized her. "Ha, and you claim knowledge of such things just because you are who you are? Your true appearance is blood, not this fancy metal shell. Or maybe you're not seeking knowledge, but killing?"

Her body was only covered with bloodied symbols, symbols of death and destruction, but it somehow mattered little in this smoke-filled hut, a hallucination-inducing place, dark and filled with strange noises of the jungle. The stocky, sitting figure of long-haired, dark-skinned man was barely visible. Maybe indeed it was her most true form of all, just her body and the markings of her trade, with no added appearances of the civilization. After all, the war never changes.

She waited patiently till the man spoke. It took him all of the afternoon and the sun was already gone when he opened his mouth.

"We don't have much to discuss. You want to conquer the outer space. I seek to explore the inner space."

"I am sorry for your people. In a way, it was our fault they are almost extinct now."

"They chose to invite the wrath of nature. It had to happen."

"The nature? Oh come on, this is rid..."

"The universe, if you will. They chose to join the civilization. A civilization is an action, and the universe inevitably reacts to this action. If no civilization had been built, then it wouldn't have happened to anyone."

"Living in the wild? Being a Master, an Immortal, that's easy to say! Living in the wild is being helpless, being prey. Civilization builds and protects."

"And invites greater dangers, against which it must protect again, in an endless cycle. Unspeakable violence is inflicted on every turn, and the gain is never solid, it has to go yet another turn. The war never changes, these are your thoughts. They are true. The only way out is no war at all. No Master at all. Even more so here. What are you fighting for? To win? In a battle royale, the only winning move is not to play, as the prize is always as sour as the game."

Arturia shifted, not knowing what to say.

"You don't want to accept this truth. So be it. You came to learn about the nature of the Masters. I will indulge you. You carry eight images in your head. Open your mind and I will help you find the meaning behind them. In reality, there is nothing new to learn; all the answers are already within you, they're parts of who you are."

Arturia nodded and relaxed, closing her eyes... and then, the message became clear. Eight Masters. Eight types of Masters. Eight types of warriors and eight philosophies, pitted against each other. She seemed to heard an old, creaking voice, reading aloud, maybe it was Merlin reading to her when she was merely a girl...

1.The Knight.
    Also known as the Guardian, the Protector, the Defender. He fights because it is his duty. He wants to protect, support, save. To help the helpless and defend the defenseless. His virtues are honor, valor and love; but each of those can cause his downfall. He lives in a granite castle. His weapon is a sword which exacts justice. In a war, he seeks a contest of strength. His soldiers are perfectly trained and dutiful.

2.The Rebel.
    Also known as the Bandit, the Freedom Fighter, the Liberator. He fights because he has a dream, therefore he fights for he has no choice. He wants to liberate the oppressed and free the enslaved, starting with himself. He believes in independence. He is gifted by extraordinary luck and cursed by it, as his luck is going to leave him sooner or later. He lives in the woods. His weapon is a spear which pierces the appearances. In a war, he is swift and unburdened. His soldiers fight because they personally believe in his cause.

3.The Prince.
    Also known as the Archer, the Star, the Idol. He fights because he desires adulation. He wants to be the greatest of all. He is torn between self love and self doubt. He is gifted with extraordinary perception, but he can never see himself. He lives in a golden palace. His weapon is a bow which brings inescapable death from afar. In a war, he seeks to gain a decisive advantage first. His soldiers are his willing slaves.

4. The Mage.
    Also known as the Seeker, the Inquirer, the Schemer. He fights to advance his personal enlightenment. He seeks the truth, the sense, the final underlying principle. He desires to master the reality. He has the keenest understanding of the minute, which sometimes makes him blind to the obvious. He lives in an ivory tower. His weapon is a staff which bears the lantern of inquiry. In a war, he makes very intricate plans. His soldiers fight because he makes sure they believe it's the best thing to do.

5.The Priest.
    Also known as the True Believer, the Necromancer, the Fanatic. He fights because of his unshakeable faith in what he perceives as absolute truth. He is secretive. He is never afraid for he stares directly into the Sun, but those who do so cannot see the road they're treading. He lives in a humble cell. His weapon is a hammer which smashes the heretic. In a war, he will sooner die a thousand times than betray his faith. His soldiers do not care for their personal survival and follow his orders to the letter.

6.The Charioteer.
    He fights for he is driven with unquenchable ambition. He wants to lead the way, to achieve unachievable. This ambition seduces people to follow him, but also tramples them beneath its wheels. The unachievable objective is likely be the doom of him and his followers. He lives in a traveler's tent. His weapon is bound to a chain which brings him closer to his target. In a war, he charges headlong into the thickest fighting, never looking back. His soldiers believe nothing is impossible with him in command.

7.The Berserker.
    He needs no reason to fight beyond the joy of fighting and winning itself. He cannot be reasoned with. He lives on a mountain. His weapons are his bare hands which he uses to tear apart his enemies. In a war, he is unpredictable. His soldiers are ruthless and bloodthirsty.

8.The Assassin.
    He fights to survive. He seeks refuge and the end to suffering. He desires life but cannot recognize it, as he knows only death. He is a master of deception, to the point he cannot find himself. He lives in a dark cave. His weapon is a dagger which strikes at the throat. In a war, he lays traps and attacks when least expected. His soldiers are fearless as they're already dead.

"Which one you are?" she asked, when the visions have passed.

"I am no Master. One of the symbols was broken. I have transcended the role they prepared for me."

"The... Knight?"

"No. My role was supposed to be a Mage. And I've never destroyed anyone."

"But the Mage is unbroken... and there are eight Masters still, not six."

"Two others have found a way inside. One in my place. One across the body of a person of which you're a shadow."

Arturia shook her head. "No. Not a shadow. Maybe I was a shadow, once. But now I am my own character."

In her study, the blonde Knight took up the cards again. If she wanted to understand Cleopatra, she had to find out whom she was. And at first it looked hopeless, as none - or all - seemed to fit. She pursued the elimination method then, but it wasn't easy, as one type had a double.

"Merlin was obviously a Mage... That much is certain. He had be the one who killed that Knight too... that would explain his tutelage over myself... But what about the others...? A dagger that strikes at the throat..."

Leave a comment:

Working...
X