CTP Mini-Tournament

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CTP Mini-Tournament

I was thinking we could have some fun with a more formal tournament outside the challenge ladder. It would be a Round Robin format with a Playoff at the end. Each player would play ever other player twice, perhaps using different map types. The top 2 or 4 players(depending on total # of players) would then in a playoff. The finalists would face off in a best of 3 series to become the POLY champion.

We would use stricter rules than those used in the challenge ladder. Map settings will be the same for all players. No ruins, wonders*, or barbarians. Nukes and pollution are up for debate. We'll also use the quick start mod so it doesn't take 3 years. Game discussions/descriptions will be encouraged.

Players will play as many games as they are willing simultaneously.

*We can discuss exceptions
    "

The amount of interest so far is overwhelming.
    "

Comment

You're probably gonna have to split it into two tournaments now.
      Call to Power 2: Apolyton Edition - download the latest version (12th June 2011)
      CtP2 AE Wiki & Modding Reference
      One way to compile the CtP2 Source Code.

Comment

Pardon the delayed interest. I only check the threads every week or so (unless I know there is something buzzing). But I'm in if this ever gets off the ground. I got some axes to grind (Maq!), and would be happy to do it here as well as on the challenge ladder. After 6 or so years of playing this beast, I'm finally seeing that starting location is pretty important though. And if it's a tourney you want then the round robin part should be duel-dual or whatever that's called. I'm thinking about doing that from now on in my challenge ladder matches too because I think I've lost out a few times due to location and won a few times due to location. Doesn't seem quite right. And if we're playing for bragging rights, we better do it right!

I would suggest emailing people if you really want to get people's attention.

Comment

Ill Play.. in the tourny if it gets started
          Chad Will Become Angry If You Lose a Game Of Call To Power To Him!!!!!!!!

Comment

Same here..but well, a shoe in whoever draws old won out Gramps
            Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

Originally posted by thehappies View Post
              Pardon the delayed interest. I only check the threads every week or so (unless I know there is something buzzing). But I'm in if this ever gets off the ground. I got some axes to grind (Maq!), and would be happy to do it here as well as on the challenge ladder. After 6 or so years of playing this beast, I'm finally seeing that starting location is pretty important though. And if it's a tourney you want then the round robin part should be duel-dual or whatever that's called. I'm thinking about doing that from now on in my challenge ladder matches too because I think I've lost out a few times due to location and won a few times due to location. Doesn't seem quite right. And if we're playing for bragging rights, we better do it right!

I would suggest emailing people if you really want to get people's attention.
              A pre-made map is the only way to be completely fair. I'm not sure anyone would want to do that though.
              "

Comment

We have 5 potential players, not a bad start. Let's see if we can get 3 more.

An alternative to the round robin could be a single elimination style tourny with the initial seeding based off the Challenge ladder standings. For example, with the current players the first round would look like this:

Maquiladora(1) vs chadisangry(6)
                thehappies(2) vs Grandapa Troll(5)
                EPW(3) vs unknown(4)

This has the advantage that you'll only play a small fraction of the number of games you'd play in round robin style tourny, especially if you lose.
                Last edited by EPW; April 23, 2009, 06:01.
                "

Comment

Originally posted by EPW View Post

An alternative to the round robin could be a single elimination style tourny with the initial seeding based off the Challenge ladder standings.
                  I'd prefer this.

If I've learnt anything from reading the various tournaments and democracy games on 'Poly, it's that you should start off as small and simple as possible, to make sure it actually gets finished first. Then you could start another more complicated setup afterwards.

As for map settings, dual-dual setup is fine by me. I would also vote for no AI's, no wonders (or perhaps limited), no nukes, and pollution I prefer off.
                  Call to Power 2: Apolyton Edition - download the latest version (12th June 2011)
                  CtP2 AE Wiki & Modding Reference
                  One way to compile the CtP2 Source Code.

Comment

Duel-dual, sounds fun, I've never played one before.
                    "

Comment

I can do it...

A pre-made map is the only way to be completely fair. I'm not sure anyone would want to do that though.
                      Ill Do a Premade Map... when we have the potential players... We Could All Start With 3 Cities.. And 2-4 Warriors in Each city.. it depends on which settings ARE discussed.. and decided... Noone will start near each-other.. if we want... We all can decide..

Comment

I'll play.

Comment

Originally posted by ricketyclik View Post
                          I'll play.
                          Same here
                          Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

Originally posted by chadisangry View Post
                            Ill Do a Premade Map... when we have the potential players... We Could All Start With 3 Cities.. And 2-4 Warriors in Each city.. it depends on which settings ARE discussed.. and decided... Noone will start near each-other.. if we want... We all can decide..
                            I was wrong earlier, dual-duel is the best compromise for fairness:

8. (Optional) The Dual-Duel format makes for a fair game. It completely equalizes the starting positions -- Two games started simultaneously on the same randomized map with starting positions swapped. First one to win a game wins the match.
                            "

Comment

I was wrong earlier, dual-duel is the best compromise for fairness:
                              alright.....

Comment

Working...
                              X