• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Updated calculations above.

©Dimytes 2004

Comment

Originally posted by Dimytes
      Well, playing CTP in MP mode is not a mater of time, but matter of XP.

I am also pretty certain that I will perform worse in MP than PBEM because I take quite some time to analyze my moves. And I wouldn't have that time in a MP game.

But if anyone figures out how to get CTP running in MP mode I would be more than happy to start some games.

©Dimytes 2004
      Have you tried changing the properties of CtP so that it runs in a 98 environment?

Right click on the shortcut, choose properties, then compatibility tab, then check the compatibility mode box and choose windows 98/ME.

Comment

Nope I haven't.

That might be a good idea to try.

©Dimytes 2004

Comment

Originally posted by ricketyclik

Have you tried changing the properties of CtP so that it runs in a 98 environment?

Right click on the shortcut, choose properties, then compatibility tab, then check the compatibility mode box and choose windows 98/ME.
          Been there..done that..dont help..sorry...nice try..TRY again..
          Attached Files
          Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

hello,

i would like to know whether the following behaviors are considered cheating or not (regarding PBEM play):

- looking at your own old turns of a game to have a picture of how the situation was a while ago.

- reconstructing a situation in the cheat mode of an independent single player game, using only the information of the actual game that you can legally access.

example:
            i see a stack of 6 units on a forest with a samurai on top. i consider attacking that stack with my own stack of which i naturally know the contents.
            the question is: am i allowed, before i make the decision to attack or not, to start a new single player game, open the cheat mode and give one AI a stack of 6 units on a forest including one samurai (guessing the remaining contents), then give myself "a copy" of the stack i have in the game and test out how the attack works ?
            basically experience would give you the same result as testing it this way, so i dont see anything illegal about it.

- replaying a turn with the exact same decisions. note that the results will be the same if you use the same order of actions, due to the random seeding of the game.

example:
            i make an attack and clicked close too fast, not memorizing which enemy units were participating. i reopen the turn, make the same actions in the same order, this time looking more closely at those units.

- replaying a turn with the same decisions in all situations involving randomness or otherwise 'hidden' information, but changing those decisions where none of these are involved.

example #1:
            i end my turn but suddenly realize i forgot to adjust the slider settings. i reopen the turn, make everything identical as before, but adjust the slider settings.

example #2:
            i rush buy a certain object, look at the next city and see i would have rather spent the money on that object. i reopen the turn and act accordingly (provided no random event made me change my mind or something like that).

---
            thank you
            math
            trying to make the best out of his turns.
            Last edited by Mathemagician; April 18, 2004, 10:23.
            Baal: "You dare mock me ?"
            O'Neill: "Baal, c'mon, you should know ... Of course I dare mock you."

Comment

Why doesn't ctp have a birdge tile improvement?
              If it ain't broke, find a bigger hammer.

Comment

you can build roads over river.

Comment

Originally posted by Mathemagician
                  you can build roads over river.
                  ..or even a Bridge over Troubled Water..by Architects & Engineers of Paul Simon & Art Garfunkel!!

GT
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by checkMate
                    Why doesn't ctp have a birdge tile improvement?
                    I been contemplating designing a "canal" tile

This would be where you could "unlock" a landlock area

U can a 1 tile by building a city..but if 2 or more..no good

ANY ideas..Ill look into it

Peace

GT
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Grandpa Troll
                      I been contemplating designing a "canal" tile
                      i have tried to edit the text files containing the tiles but i wasnt able to modify important traits. i specifically tried making forest an ocean square while keeping its other characteristics, but it didnt work.
                      i think in some things the game is too much hardcoded, nothing to be achieved with the text files then.

or do you have a different approach ?

Comment

about my above questions about what is illegal and what not, please someone respond. else i wont know what is illegal and will likely be using it.

also, another thing i would like to check.

- rush buying a building, then changing, not to a unit, but to another, more expensive, building

gavrushka just told me that this was banned a few years ago. how is it today ?

thanks

Comment

I dont really see any problem with rushbuing a building partly as long as you keep it to constructions that have the same rushbuy cost.

©Dimytes 2004
                          Last edited by Dimytes; April 18, 2004, 09:31.

Comment

Originally posted by Mathemagician
                            about my above questions about what is illegal and what not, please someone respond. else i wont know what is illegal and will likely be using it.

also, another thing i would like to check.

- rush buying a building, then changing, not to a unit, but to another, more expensive, building

gavrushka just told me that this was banned a few years ago. how is it today ?

thanks
                            It is my understanding that "ramping" is regarded as an illegitimate bug use.

Comment

Originally posted by ricketyclik
                              It is my understanding that "ramping" is regarded as an illegitimate bug use.
                              hmm i dont see a bug in that (except that the costs for the new building seem to be calculated a bit odd), but if it is considered cheating, of course i wont do it anymore.

why is it called "ramping" btw ?

how about the other things i mentioned, a few posts above ?

Originally posted by Dimytes
                              I dont really see any problem with rushbuing a building partly as long as you keep it to constructions that have the same rushbuy cost.
                              you mean unit-unit, wonder-wonder, building-building ? or do you mean the same production cost like bank and mill ?
                              the first apparently is the "ramping" rickety described, the second one simply makes no sense.

Comment

As far as I know there are 3 rushbuy ratios. Units have one gold/production ratio, wonders another one and ordinary buildings a 3rd ratio. So what I meant was keeping it in those groups when rushbuing. There is no noticable effect of the total result by rushbuying partly. It could have some tactical advantages though.

©Dimytes 2004

Comment

Working...
                                X