This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by quinns

Troll, you are making the argument to use the DUAL-DUEL format! If you use the dual-duel format, you completely equalize starting positions. Also, to answer your earlier question about dual-duel counting as one or two matches -- In dual-duel you play two "games" (with sides switched), but it is considered one "match". First one to win a game, wins the match. That match is counted as ONE win.

Another way, that Dimytes pointed out, to get more even random starting positions (without using the dual-duel) is to place all map settings at 50% EXCEPT for wet/dry and warm/cold which are both set to 0%. This gives each player a river, usually, and fairly even terrain.
    Ok

Quinns..another question or inquiry then

I played MPTeach was whooping him and he vanished

The game just went into cyberspace

~poof~

what if the game ended and say I would have won or he resigned and said GT you r da man..

I now have a victory!

~WOOT~

What does that mean?

I beat a newbie..

I have a Victory..

Trolldom shuts down and parties on Preztels, Pralines & Pizza....

BUT..what about my s-l-o-w assent to the ladder rungs?

IF a victory on a newbie dont mean anything..

IF a "WIN" dont count on much..

How should a person play agame and advance?

Personally..it frustrates da fricking Hades outta me to for a week waiting on a turn....

So..say I am in a game where there are say 3 players...

we each take a turns a week..

say 52 weeks and you have 52 turns played

THAT is my best case scenario...that after 2 years..IF the players stick it out..I get to renaissance 1.5 years later..maybe modern after 2 years

THIS is a fun game to WHOM???

My point, and Yes Blackice there quite possibly is ashorter one..but i am L-O-N-G so I talk long slow and long..

I am supposed to play that long and IF the other guys dissappear just too bad for my time and efforts?

After 2 years I win..say..what if the guys I am playing are in that game only..I get _zilcch-Nada-squat fer the victory?

Just asking..seems a waste to play newbies or one of the unreliables here..
    Attached Files
    Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

• Grandpa Troll, Here is how you move up faster: Challenge a player three above you. You can challenge higher than that if you want to, but the challenged player isn't obliged to accept a match more than three below -- BUT they may accept! You can challenge berXpert if you like (like blackice did, who was more than three below, and berXpert DID accept). Once accepted there is no turning back Challenge matches take anywhere from 1 to 4 months, on average, to complete. (I think some players have even finished a PBEM challenge match in less than a month!!).

Comment

• Originally posted by Mathemagician

didnt know that. what other effects does this have on the map ? any terrain that will be more common, less common ?
        Not exactly sure, but these settings give a good mix of rivers, forest, jungle, mountains, hills, plains, and grasslands, in my opinion.

Comment

• What used to happen when people abandoned is that some sanction was taken against them SPECIFICALLY for abandoning..

I do not know how the rating system works now, but certainly within at least 50 turns no victory should be given.. HOWEVER a very punitive deduction should be given to the one that abandons.. And if it happens again they are removed from the league.. except in the most exceptional of circumstances... Cheap victories are meaningless.
          He's back after a fashion...

Comment

• although it may seem as though i want to argue again (dont want to, dont want to ) i agree with gavrushka.
            Baal: "You dare mock me ?"
            O'Neill: "Baal, c'mon, you should know ... Of course I dare mock you."

Comment

• Originally posted by Mathemagician
              although it may seem as though i want to argue again (dont want to, dont want to ) i agree with gavrushka.
              I agree with Me too!

We also had a punishment for slow turn rate (less than one a day excepting weekends), unless a specific reason was given...

I think it is time to play hardball with game breakers.. What say you all?

Comment

• Says the man who's been absent for over a year

Comment

• i dont like the idea of a minimum turn rate.
                  IF a player really cares about his games and IF he has other things to do, he can easily make up for that time he is unavailable by playing more turns at another time.
                  these are all 1x1 games. they usually still get done quite fast as compared to those 8 player games.

Comment

• Originally posted by ricketyclik
                    Says the man who's been absent for over a year

Leave him be....

(although you are being chastised for beating me to the punch!!)

GT
                    Attached Files
                    Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

• Originally posted by ricketyclik
                      Says the man who's been absent for over a year
                      It is a serious point, but I informed people.. That is the difference..

When a PBEM was set up, rules were agreed. When a turn rate is suggested... It is merely that.. A guideline. But when a new game used to be started the rules were agreed prior to playing. If someone plays a turn a week in an 8 player I suggest that is unfair on the other seven.

I don't see a valid argument AGAINST a minimum turn rate, taking into account I already said that if someone temporarily cannot meet this requirement courtesy dictates they inform people.

I imagine it would be difficult for a lot of players to keep enthusiasm in a game if the turn rate is so slow, you know it is going to be over a month before you get your first settler out..

If you look at the start of threads for the old PBEM you will see that a series of rules, or more guidelines were applied to the way the game was played.

A turn a day refers to a turn being played within a day of receiving it.... Not (in the event of an eight player game) all 8 playing each day.. Sense also dictated the turn order to speed things, with GMT + players going before GMT - players..

Comment

• all that makes perfect sense in a multiplayer game, Gavrushka.
                        but in a 1x1 game it simply is not necessary to play one turn in 24 hours nor to inform someone if you are about to take 48 or 72 hours for the turn.
                        however, if you are absent for a longer time, a note sure makes sense, though i dont see that it is necessary.

it is a totally different thing of course if each turn takes 2 or more days. but from what i can tell, even those games have shown to be finished in a reasonable time. unless the player disappears altogether, like Mieciofok apparently.

Comment

• 1v1 is totally different.. You can send the turn and say BTW I am away now... And yes no such rules are necessary there.. I agree.

Comment

• Right. And this is the PBEM Challenge Ladder thread so we are only talking about 1 vs. 1. It sounds like most of us are in agreement about leaving things be as they stand now.

Comment

Right. And this is the PBEM Challenge Ladder thread so we are only talking about 1 vs. 1. It sounds like most of us are in agreement about leaving things be as they stand now.
                              gnnnn...

er... yes

Comment

Right. And this is the PBEM Challenge Ladder thread so we are only talking about 1 vs. 1. It sounds like most of us are in agreement about leaving things be as they stand now.
                                I will find my way round this maze of Threads.. Sorry Steve I had NO IDEA..

Comment

Working...
                                X