• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gary Thomas
    Record me as preferring #1.

Cheers

Gary Thomas
    Didya vote in the poll?
    Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Thomas
      Record me as preferring #1.

Cheers

Gary Thomas
      Nice to hear from you again Gary!
      Clash of Civilization team member
      (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
      web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

Hi Gary! Glad to see you here and kickin'

I can't believe nobody's voted for the Bananas yet! Sheesh, what a bunch of stiffs.
        Project Lead for The Clash of Civilizations
        A Unique civ-like game that will feature low micromanagement, great AI, and a Detailed Government model including internal power struggles. Demo 8 available Now! (go to D8 thread at top of forum).
        Check it out at the Clash Web Site and Forum right here at Apolyton!

Comment

There's 14 members of the Clash Team according to the website. Theoretically #2 could still win, but after two weeks, and emailing everyone who hasn't posted here in this thread, I think that this is pretty much it.

I guess #1 wins (especially since I'm weighting Mark's vote since he's the one putting the most effort into this project). Well then, s'pose I better get crackin'.
          Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Not that it matters at this point, but I too like number 1. Bright web pages hurt my eyes, and, in my opinon, look less professional. The only problem I see with that design is that the picture on the left is pretty big and dominant, taking up a lot of space.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Bruns
              Not that it matters at this point, but I too like number 1.

Well, it lets me know I made the right decision.

The only problem I see with that design is that the picture on the left is pretty big and dominant, taking up a lot of space.

I can fiddle with that a little bit, but I'm trying to keep the text area in the middle easy to read. When lines reach beyond sixty characters, the eye has a harder time keeping track of where it is supposed to be and reading slows down as the eye has to re-orient itself to the begining of a new line.

But making the image smaller and adding more white space will also help "lighten" the design load, again, making it easier on the eyes.

I think I'll try a few variations on the first theme and see how people like those.

For now, I think this thread can be un-topped.

Comment

Didya vote in the poll?
                I did now

Cheers

Comment

i think #1, but the graphics could use a boost to really seal it...interface just a little outdated, but i'm sure site design isn't a major concern...just need something that works and shows the product. Just my $.02
                  "Chegitz, still angry about the fall of the Soviet Union in 1991?
                  You provide no source. You PROVIDE NOTHING! And yet you want to destroy capitalism.. you criminal..." - Fez

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

change the name man!

yes,

number 1 looks more like a game,

number two looks more like a travel agency, :big grin:
                    or maybe a computer assistance forum.

but still think the name is crap.

besides, civilisation should be spelt with an "s"

how about this for a potential name modification?:

"Culture Clash"

any more ideas anyone?
                    Last edited by yellowdaddy; April 7, 2003, 14:29.
                    click below for work in progress Clash graphics...
                    clicaibh sios airson tairgnain neo-chriochnaichte dhe Clash...
                    http://jackmcneill.tripod.com/

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
                      Must resist urge to whine, "What's wrong with number 1?"
                      The huge graphic of the stone statue at the left that doesn't do anything
                      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

BTW, why is there a "Get MSIE" logo on the home page of the main Clash site when IE lags behind in CSS support?
                        (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan

Comment

I am not sure if it matters anymore, che, but here are some of my suggestions wrt design #1:

1. Too much space is taken up by dead (inactive) bits that are just decorations (e.g. the image of the stone statue), therefore:

2. Replace the stone statue thing with the "Key Milestones" section, you don't want 1/4 of the screen to be dead space.

3. Make the "Clash of Civilizations" block of letters smaller and shift the menu up.

4. I can't tell if you are using frames, but you better not

5. Add a secondary menu at the bottom, some pages will be longer than one screen.

6. You don't need a "main" or "home" botton (or menu selection). It is now customary that clicking on the logo or the letter block sends you home.

7. The difference between Heading 2 and body text is too small.

8. Are those menu buttons cascading? You can use CSS to do that.

9. How come it is taking so long?

10. I like white background. I really do.

Comment

che, are you dead?

Comment

Hi UR! Thanks for the comments. Che has been inactive for some months. Hasn't responded to the one or two emails I've sent. I HOPE he's just snowed with RL and that nothing seriously bad has happened. I'm sure he'll turn up at some point.

Cya,

Mark
                              Project Lead for The Clash of Civilizations
                              A Unique civ-like game that will feature low micromanagement, great AI, and a Detailed Government model including internal power struggles. Demo 8 available Now! (go to D8 thread at top of forum).
                              Check it out at the Clash Web Site and Forum right here at Apolyton!

Comment

Hi Mark,

che is fine, he was posting on the OTF a few days ago.

Comment

Working...
                                X