X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Design Proposal 1

Same design with different conqueror.

I'm not wedded to the grey backround, but the idea was to try and soften the contrast between the black and white.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by chequita guevara; December 20, 2002, 20:17.
    Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Wow!
      That looks great, che!
      I tend to overrule background colors with my own ugly ones to make reading easier, but the grey is easy to read and makes the image and even the black-backgrounded logo on the top stick out well.
      I personnally don't like pop ups, but for menus, I think it is ok, as the area you move the mouse upon is small enough not to get there by mistake. I can't see any frame or scrollbar, so I suppose there are none, which I rather like.

I wonder if a link of the "Artists needed" kind would be welcome on the front page? Of course, if someone could teach me how to make a transparent background without screwing an image and failing, that might not be needed.
      Clash of Civilization team member
      (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
      web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

It's not framed, since frames tend to make pages load more slowly. It would use CSS and DHTML to have the text area be scrollable by hovering the mouse over the little grey triangles.

In the area where it says "Newest Demo" would could divide it up to also put in something like "Artists Needed" or other important messages to which we wished to call attention. Or perhaps over on the right side, above the poll (which is just a place filler for now anyway).
        Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

I think they look great too che! Excellent job! Either of the figures at the left look really good. I think that rather than a single figure to the left, I think it might look good to have a series of figures, maybe getting smaller as you work down the page. Anyway, throwing out the idea to see what people think. . .

Looking forward to more ;-) !
          Project Lead for The Clash of Civilizations
          A Unique civ-like game that will feature low micromanagement, great AI, and a Detailed Government model including internal power struggles. Demo 8 available Now! (go to D8 thread at top of forum).
          Check it out at the Clash Web Site and Forum right here at Apolyton!

Comment

Anyone else have an opinion?

Comment

The new design looks great. newclash2.jpg was much easier on my eyes, due to the softer color and the color consistency, so I´d vote for that one.

Comment

Desing proposal II

This is the second design, with a more modern look. With this design, I would argue that we would need a new logo, as it doesn't fit the design.

The buttons on the right side light-up on mouse-over, and the Main button shows how that would look.
                Attached Files

Comment

I also have an idea for a flash intro, which would use Shelly's poem, Ozymandius.

Comment

Hmm... decisions, decisions

I like the first one better, but the second one has more appeal for the casual user... could we somehow mix the ideas.

My critique is as follows:

Option 1:

Advantages: Traditional look, nice logo, more appropriate look for the game in general. From a graphical/motif point of view, in my opinion, option 1 is much more appealing. Love the statue

Disadvantages. More intimidating than option two for the average user. Easy to get lost in. Less inviting for newcomers to look around.

Option 2:

Advantages: Very user friendly interface; nice big, appealing graphical links to everything. Less words... more pictures. The graphical menu is much more inviting than option one. It seems to beg: "come look around."

Disadvantages: I do NOT like the change in logo for this type of game. The game name looks more appropriate for a futuristic/science fiction game (probably because it uses a Star-Trek-Next-Generationish logo). I really think the statue adds to the sight (though it might be a touch choice between statue and menu if we had to choose). Not to fond of the color motif either.

But this is just all my humble opinion
                    "I set the wheels in motion, turn up all the machines, activate the programs, and run behind the scenes.
                    I set the clouds in motion, turn up light and sound, activate the window, and watch the world go round."

- from Prime Mover by Rush

Comment

I must confess I don't like web sites where you have to go on things in order to see what they do. I also hate flash. If you do a flash intro, please allow the casual user to skip it. I usually leave a web site as soon as I see there is no way to browse that site out of flash.
                      Ozymandias would be an excellent intro however.
                      "ye mighty, and despair", then show the broken sneering Egyptian head half buried in the sands... It could be great.
                      Clash of Civilization team member
                      (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
                      web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

Flash intros must be optional, as not everyone has flash, and after the first or second time, no one wants to be bothered.

There's a poll for the two designs here. "None of the above" is an option.

Comment

New web page thread for top

Hi All:

I think that this thread doesn't have a good title or starting series of posts to fulfill its current purpose of being for discussion of and requests for the web site. Since the poll thread on the new design now has a life of its own, I propose we start a new general web site thread, top it, and let this one sink.

It would also be good to have the first post with an intro that gives a summary of current action in the area. That would be of especial help for relatively new visitors. In the present case the summary could have a link to the poll on the new design, in addition to a general intro blurb on the web site, and where the mirror site is.

Che, are you game to start that new thread? A name something like "Web Site Discussion and Requests" seems about right. One advantage of your starting it is that then you'll be able to edit the first post, and can update it as different issues you want to focus on appear and/or fade away. If you agree, just put the new one up and I'll put it up top and set this one free

Cya,

Mark
                          A Unique civ-like game that will feature low micromanagement, great AI, and a Detailed Government model including internal power struggles. Demo 8 available Now! (go to D8 thread at top of forum).

Comment

This thread is being closed.

Please check out the new Web site thread:

Web Site Discussion and Requests

Comment

Working...
                            X