No announcement yet.

New Clash Web Site - Comments Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yeah who'd want a simple game where everything is abstracted and very unrealistic? Well I for one am into that type of game and I think a lot of other people like chess too. Got to love the realistic movement system and the complex battle resolution. Don't believe the hype, realism is overrated.

Comment

Kull:

Aw, I was hoping Somebody had an Evil Plot going... I can never seem to get organized enough to pull off My evil plots . Agree with your approach.

Colon:

Thanks for the moral support, but next time just Send Money . When you get a chance, please give us some constructive criticism on our game models...

Glak:

Chess was great when the best software available was Wood . We're doing more complicated stuff because the industry ain't. But it isn't just for the sake of realism. As you say, realism can be a drag. The realism we want is mostly because this particular deranged group thinks that a selective amount of additional detail can make Clash more Fun.
      Project Lead for The Clash of Civilizations
      A Unique civ-like game that will feature low micromanagement, great AI, and a Detailed Government model including internal power struggles. Demo 8 available Now! (go to D8 thread at top of forum).
      Check it out at the Clash Web Site and Forum right here at Apolyton!

Comment

Glak: That's fine if you prefer an abstract game - I do too at times (FE I enjy Doug Greening's "World at War - Basic" as much as the Standard game). It's also a real treat when I run across a realistic simulation (military, flight, or economic). Many of these are quite FUN. There is certainly a lot of interest out there in a realistic civ-genre game, or else this project/site would be an absolute flop. I doubt that it's all hype, so you might be think twice before ripping on those of us that would like to see this REALISTIC sim pulled off successfully. It's just a matter of balancing out the micromanagement that kills the fun in the realism. I hate micromanagement, but you obviously revel in it, and that's fine. Everyone has opinions on this topic, and many will obviously (thankfully!) be different, so just be content to disagree with us on the level of realism and leave it at that, since it's already been decided. If you absolutely hate this level of realism and would prefer to play chess, then please do so. Otherwise your other criticisms (sp?) related to the models are certainly welcomed! Thanks for all of your positive input on the models.
        [This message has been edited by Paul Crocker (edited November 07, 1999).]
        Paul

Comment

Acropolis looks great!

Comment

Hear, hear!

----------------
            Dan; Apolyton CS

Comment

Well guys, now we know how to get our way with Markos... Yep, do whatever controversial thing you might want, but make sure to slap a Parthenon on top

[This message has been edited by Mark_Everson (edited November 09, 1999).]
              A Unique civ-like game that will feature low micromanagement, great AI, and a Detailed Government model including internal power struggles. Demo 8 available Now! (go to D8 thread at top of forum).

Comment

Finally I can reach the Clash site with my Netscape browser. :-) Looks great!

Blade
                Blade

Comment

About the text editor -- never mind It's just that being a programmer i don't usually like often unreliable ms products, so i kinda overreacted..

Originally posted by Kull on 11-06-1999 02:23 PM
                  Frames:

<snip>

We have the Apolyton Forums, member sites, and many related topics. ALL of these exist elsewhere on the web. If you use the Web Index frame as it's intended, you can do ONE-CLICK hopping from a Model description, to a related thread on the Apolyton Clash forum, to Mark Everson's site, to the Java download page, back to Clash Home, etc. etc. Maybe it's just me, but I LOVE being able to do that! I find it to be extremely user friendly. (Down off my "frame" soap box.)

And perhaps right now there aren't enough good examples to fully highlight my "Clash World" vision. But in the long run, I truly believe frames are the best way to implement it.
                  Kull,

I haven't thought about it at all. What you're saying makes perfect sense to me -- indeed, it is convinient to be able to browse through all the forums and stuff having all links in the frame on the left ready.. So, thanks for enlightening Had you said this before, i believe my post about frames would be very different

Taking that into account, just a suggestion about non-framed version. I dunno what you have in mind already, but i would keep the layout but would make it using tables instead of frames, and that's it. Minimum changes. And then, as i alraedy said somewhere, you could make all the links that lead off the main site (like forums) open in the new window. Thus, it would somehow comply to your idea of navigability in the "clash world."
                  There's a very simple way to implement it.. Probably you can do it easier in FrontPage, but in case it's not the case Make something like a layout stub: two-column table i believe, and then just cut-n-paste (int the text editor )the code from the left frame into all the pages' left table column, and the corresponding code from the right frame into the right table column..

In case i failed to mention - i really like your overall design

-- Anton

Comment

Kull&Dom,

I checked your non-framed page preview and.. you may call me a maniac but i love it. And gonna use it only..

Just one thing -- it is quite unusual that the layout is centered, usually they align it to the left. Takes some time getting used to the blank space on the left.. Was it done on purpose?

-- Anton

Comment

I just wanted to say that I love the music that was put on the site. I downloaded the mediaplayer and the little web address box still pops up, maybe we should just include a link to the player rather than the pop-up, (it's annoying after you've already downloaded it, just my opinion though). Other than that the site is really great, and filling out nicely.
                      If that track is not copyrighted already, I think we should see about including it in the final product.

Comment

Has any date been set for moving the Clash webpage over to the site here at Apolyton.
                        What does this box do I wonder?

Comment

Kanzid Stonebreath:
                          We hope to have the Clash Web Site up at Apolyton by December 1st. This means that we are going to finish most of the links, and all of the models should be in order, before moving to Apolyton. So, keep a look out.

Dom

Comment

We have an early version of the isometric graphics running. Paul Crocker, johnmcd, and I have been getting it going over the last week or so. Look for some screen shots on the new web page in a few days. We will also present a few different ways we might do TF graphics in the shots... We'll be looking for feedback as always.

[This message has been edited by Mark_Everson (edited November 26, 1999).]

Comment

I tried to go see if the new graphics shots were up, but I can't get to the web page. It loads the first page, where I choose frames. Then as it's almost done loading the second page it freezes my computer. I was just wondering if anyone else is having the same problem or if it is just a problem on my computer. I can't seem to find the problem if it's just on my computer so, if anyone out there has an idea of what is wrong, please tell me.
                              thanxs.

Comment

Nevermind, I think I found the problem, Media player hadn't fully downloaded, so I downloaded it again, and now everything is fine.

Comment

Working...
                                X