X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Project: Apolyton Pack

... really have to keep an eye on it, though--it'll try and slide
    away from you the first chance it gets.

- That was T. M. Morgan-Reilly of Morgan Metagenics speaking about amazing new development that will revolutionarize energy industry, manafacturing and adult entertainment. This is Paula Forbes from Morgan Metagenics.

- Thank you Paula. Our next news report comes from University Base where UN inspections have again been refused access to Provost's quarters. But before that, let's listen to general announcement made by Planetary Governor earlier this day.

- Hello my fellow Chironians. As everyone of you knows, SMAC is a wonderful game. But there is a flaw with it: many of things in it are hardcoded. Despite this obstacles many brave souls have figured out ways to improve and enhance the game. Many of these achievements are famous even today, like Probe Cruisers or Enhanced Worldbuilder section. Others have built wondrous scenarios that provided hours of entertainment to many.

As great as these enhancements are, they were made singulary. These means that each of these enhancements had to be installed individually. This is a big turnoff for many people. Additionally, many are unfamiliar with older modifications and scenarios.

What we need to do is find a way to integrate many of this modifications into a single mod. Packed into a single installation and powered with #endgame's file swapper, I would dub this project Apolyton Pack. This project has already been blessed by ACS administration.

The objectives of this project are:

* to compile enhancements that improve or expand the game, not replace them with something else. Examples for this are Improved Worldbuilder section, which creates better maps or new basic units like submarines or probe cruisers. Modifications that change game mechanics significantly like rearranging the technology tree or factions.

*to collect all previous user made scenarios, factions and maps and pack them - they would install into default SMAC directory. Another option is to pack already made mods - a custom launcher would be created asking user where to start plain SMAC/SMAX, Apolyton Pack or one of these mods.

*to create both SMAC and SMAX versions, light (no maps, scenarios), normal and expanded versions (completed user made modifications included).

*to credit all users whose work will be included.

This is the main thread for the project and input from readers is expected and valued. Within several days, a preliminary list of modifications will be listed. I would like to have permissions from active authors for inclusion in the Apolyton pack. Absolutely essential is #endgame's file swapper.

List of mods to be incorporated:

Modman file swapper (credits to #endgame)
    Vitamins attack! scenario (credits to Mart7x5)
    A Peacekeeper scenario (credits to Mart7x5)
    Single Player Map Collection (credits to Mart7x5 for collecting it and to original authors)
    Additional base names (credits to Googlie, gwillybj, Lord Nword
    -probe cruisers and submersibles as basic unit types-
    Improved worldbuilder section (credits to Smacksim)
    --
    --
    --
    --

Thank you for your attention.
    Last edited by Illuminatus; December 11, 2005, 11:18.
    SMAC/X FAQ | Chiron Archives
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. --G.B.Shaw

Great idea. Do you want to look at minor bugfixes too? Faction tweaks (I'm aware how shaky that ground is.)?

A few changes I've thought of but never bothered to implement:
    Fix probe rollover for the most part: Data angels +1 probe, free covert ops with/without tech?
    Beef Cha Dawn?
    Nerf Aliens?
    #play s.-cd#g+c-ga#+dgfg#+cf----q.c
    #endgame

Quantum P. is a champion: http://geocities.com/zztexpert/docs/upoprgv4.html

Comment

Illu, you're good!
      -- What history has taught us is that people do not learn from history.
      -- Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

Comment

Originally posted by #endgame

Great idea. Do you want to look at minor bugfixes too? Faction tweaks (I'm aware how shaky that ground is.)?

A few changes I've thought of but never bothered to implement:
        Fix probe rollover for the most part: Data angels +1 probe, free covert ops with/without tech?
        Beef Cha Dawn?
        Nerf Aliens?
        Fixing Data Angels would indeed be welcome, but the question is, how? If there is an agreed solution it would be good to implement it.

About other changes, tweaking factions is not an enhancement but a modification of game mechanics, something I would rather avoid because it is a shaky ground. But we should perhaps look into it - any suggestion is welcome.
        The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. --G.B.Shaw

Comment

Btw, Illu, I had this idea ages ago . Good work getting something similar off the ground:

(Although I did say some extremely stupid stuff in that thread. (Not offensive, just dumb.) I did some poking around with a memory probe, but I think trainer writing would be beyond me.)

I see two options for the DA:
          1. +1 Probe, free CovOps centres with PSA:
          Pro: Smallest change to the faction file (1 character).
          Con: Hurts the DA early game.

2. +1 Probe, free CovOps centres:
          Pro: Doesn't hurt the DA early game.
          Con: Maybe too powerful?
          #endgame

Comment

Yeah!

Think of us, poor dumb SMACX-users who don't know nuts about game files and such.

Make that a click-and-play thing, please!
            From hell's heart I stab at thee; for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee. Ye damned whale!

Comment

Originally posted by #endgame
              Btw, Illu, I had this idea ages ago . Good work getting something similar off the ground:

(Although I did say some extremely stupid stuff in that thread. (Not offensive, just dumb.) I did some poking around with a memory probe, but I think trainer writing would be beyond me.)

I see two options for the DA:
              1. +1 Probe, free CovOps centres with PSA:
              Pro: Smallest change to the faction file (1 character).
              Con: Hurts the DA early game.

2. +1 Probe, free CovOps centres:
              Pro: Doesn't hurt the DA early game.
              Con: Maybe too powerful?
              If we use the Peacekeepers as the benchmark for a faction to be powerful then I'd say even option 2 isn't as good as the PKs. Let alone the Hive...

Comment

Or university..
                -- What history has taught us is that people do not learn from history.
                -- Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

Comment

looks like 2 wins
                  You have two choices in life; Explore and learn or Vegetate.
                  There is a reason for everything.

Comment

Originally posted by Senethro

If we use the Peacekeepers as the benchmark for a faction to be powerful then I'd say even option 2 isn't as good as the PKs. Let alone the Hive...
                    Perhaps we should indeed look into implementing option number two.

Comment

I personally prefer option 2 with the DA.

Another proposal from that older thread:

How about making the probe team design that you get with Plan. Nets 0-1-1?
                      Pro: Removes reverse-engineering speeder exploit
                      Con: Possibly weakens the AI further.

Judging by Illu's first post, I assume 0-1-1probes will be a design to help the AI, perhaps move 0-1-2 probes to Intellectual Integrity (the first tech that ultimately has Plan Nets and D:Mobility as prereqs, IIRC)?
                      #endgame

Comment

In SMAniaC I just made the Angels immune to mindcontrol.
                        Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
                        Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

Perhaps an expanded list of base names could be added to an Apolyton Pack?
                          Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
                          Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

Additional base names (credits to Googlie, gwillybj, Lord Nword)

Too bad I created only 200 new base names.

#endgame, I don't want to alter game mechanics too much at this point. We should look for mods that expand the game first. I am not sure if probe reverse engineering is an issue anyway, although adding defensive probes is quite an improvement.

Comment

Illu: Fair enough.
                              Examples for this are Improved Worldbuilder section, which creates better maps or new basic units like submarines or probe cruisers.
                              So perhaps at least putting 0-1-1 probe teams onto Planetary networks for the AI's sake?
                              #endgame

Comment

Working...
                              X