Why Seven Factions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Seven Factions?

Just why are there seven factions, anyways? As opposed to eight, or nine, or six?

Yeah, might be kinda neat to have a variable number of factions. Wasn't Civ3 like that where you could choose 3 to 9 civilizations or something? MysticWind makes a good point here. Of course 7 factions might have been all Sid came up with that were viable factions at the time.

Comment

3-digit binary placeholder in the executable: 000.
      Faction 000 (0) is Native Lifeforms.
      Factions 001 (1) through 111 (7) are the players.
      I am on a mission to see how much coffee it takes to actually achieve time travel.

Comment

From Velociryx' guide at Gamefaqs:

The number seven was not chosen at random, I do not believe. Five is regarded as optimal group size, but seven is optimal for game theory purposes, and the factions (their ideologies defined by a total of three major variables - Politics, Values, Economy) interact with each other to set up a matrix, where you cannot help but be diametric to at least two other factions at any point in the game.

- Early Game, Single Player Diplomacy

Comment

My observation is that the game is designed to have 7 well crafted competing ideologies, so that is the number of ‘slots’. Remember that in the original SMAC there weren’t any choices for factions – you got the original 7, and that’s it. SMAX gave us options, and I expect they used the same architecture (and faction ‘slots’) and superimposed a selection system on it.

Just my 2 cents.

Hydro

Comment

Re: Why Seven Factions?

Originally posted by MysticWind
            Just why are there seven factions, anyways? As opposed to eight, or nine, or six?
            The game designers considered it too counter-intuitive to completely separate Free Market economies from Wealth values and Police States from Planned economies.
            - NanoDingo [INTJ, E6]

Comment

because civ2 had 7 civs? 8 being the bit thingy and the 8th civ being the barbs.

Comment

Working...
              X