Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Challenge Scenario: Things that go Thump in the night.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Challenge Scenario: Things that go Thump in the night.

It's a scary post-apocalyptic world.

Right wing fundamentalists have inherited the earth. "Wait" you say, weren't they supposed to ascend to heaven or something? Well… you should see the other guy!

Actually, you'll be playing the other guy...

This scenario takes place on the Map of Earth, native life and raising land are disabled (the jungles have interiors full of fungus to make you do some clearing). Further note that you get the AI no drones thing allowing you to forgo police or run FM early. Don't feel bad about exploiting this, Miriam has +8 police among other bonuses .

Miriam has 3 very strong cores, one in the USA. Another at the bottom of South Africa. A 3rd in Australia... each core has it's own HQ.

The other factions are all playable:
    (They all start with an extra Colony Pod and Former)

The Gaians start in Canada, they have no meatshield between them and the thumpers. They have a rubbish start too, I mean, Canada? No jungle for the Gaians!
    Difficulty: Unholy Hard.

The Peace Keepers have a nice desert in North Africa, they have the honor of being an ablative meatshield for other factions.
    Difficulty: Extremely Hard.

The University starts in Russia, with no special terrain but lots of it to expand into. They wont face the full brunt of Miriam’s attacks due to the Peacekeepers and Hive.
    Difficulty: Hard.

The Hive starts in China, it's a very nice start and if you hurry you can even choke off the African Believers with a well placed base.
    Difficulty: Moderate.

The Morganites start in South America; they have jungle to expand into and the Spartans as an ablative shield. Of course the Spartan AI can't be relied on to hold off the Believers for long so they'll need some serious propping up.
    Difficulty: Moderate.

The Spartans start at the top of South America; they have jungle to expand into and can choke off the USA Believers. They share the jungle with Morgan. Difficulty: Moderate.

Just because it's so easy to kill a giant rabid Miriam it's best to play with some self-imposed rules too:
    1) No abusing crawler upgrade cash-in.
    2) No reverse engineering probe teams.
    3) No SE quickies or other blatant exploits/cheats like multiple drops.

Kill Miriam with HONOR!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Blake; October 30, 2005, 06:40.

Sounds pretty darn challenging! I'm going to have to give it a try. It'll be nice to kill some Believers for once after having played them so much recently....
    Aldebaran 2.1 for Smax is in Beta Testing. Join us for our first Succession Game

Comment

I am already considering Gaians!
      -- What history has taught us is that people do not learn from history.
      -- Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

Comment

Hah! Good luck with that. I believe the Gaians are also the faction that don't get the AI drone control thing.

Sail some colonypods over to Japan and grovel before Yang .

Comment

You, know sometimes I feel a bit masochistic..
          -- Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

Comment

Lol Mim just built ME in 1 turn! 2215-2216 (which is 15 turns from game start - 2201)

Crazy!

Me has 4 bases and 5 formers already.

Comment

Lol, the one who pulls it off with Gaians will earn my unlimited respect forever!

I just got pwned (2225)!

Comment

Just tried again. Its not so impossible if one goes -> IN ->AP -> NM and builds 2 impacts..

Comment

Yup. I don't think any faction can survive without a beeline to impact rovers.

I don't know how Mim built a SP in one turn, her best base only has ~ 30 mineral production. (only? ). Actually i know... she might have been pumping out cheap things, because she's AI the leftovers get stockpiled... then she switched to ME and instantly built it.

Comment

lol I love the rush she does on Dee. So evil.

after Miriams initial rush I fled across the land bridge, and Zak killed me!
                    Last edited by Blake; October 30, 2005, 16:45.

Comment

Theres a landbridge ? It's currently 2152 and my 9 bases have just been pumping out plasma sents and recon rovers and clinging onto dear life for the past 35 turns I've never needed a perimeter defense so badly in my life.
                      Had to sacrifice a rover last turn, the AI actually built a road connecting to my base ! so i ran out and cut 2 segments on the rockey terrain ... if this dooms me by steering the AI to my weaker right or gives me time to settle more bases and get towards IA or nonlinear time will soon tell.
                      Learn to overcome the crass demands of flesh and bone, for they warp the matrix through which we perceive the world. Extend your awareness outward, beyond the self of body, to embrace the self of group and the self of humanity. The goals of the group and the greater race are transcendant, and to embrace them is to acheive enlightenment.

Comment

Could you please attach the file as a zip ? My PC is a company thingie and while they don't mind me using it for games, they are not that happy when I install netbased SW.
                        With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

2 turns later I'm looking so dead, another 9 4-3-1 with two 4-2-2 rovers just popped up and theyre vets at the least with her having built the command nexus

and now 6-3-2 rovers ...

Died 2270, is it even possible to win ?
                          Last edited by Lazerus; October 30, 2005, 17:57.
                          Learn to overcome the crass demands of flesh and bone, for they warp the matrix through which we perceive the world. Extend your awareness outward, beyond the self of body, to embrace the self of group and the self of humanity. The goals of the group and the greater race are transcendant, and to embrace them is to acheive enlightenment.

Comment

Zipped.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Blake
                              Zipped.
                              Mange tak
                              With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Working...
                              X