Funny things about this game.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mart7x5
    Does anyone know, what is that problem with armor on ships? Recently I have checked some ship to ship fights and it seems armor does make a difference in some cases. In other it is like not existing. I remember also someone advised strongly not to equip ships in armor. Any observations?
    The problem with armor on ships is that a ship can be forced to defend with either its armor or its weapon, under various circumstances. If another ship attacks it with long range fire (that is, artillery), the defending ship defends with attack. If another ship attacks it directly, the defending ship defends with armor. The result is, most of the time, having higher armor than weapon on a ship is useless. Up to your weapon's value, armor is quite cheap and useful, however. This applies only to combat ships.
    "Cutlery confused Stalin"
    -BBC news

Comment

Would it be cheaper to make two ships with big guns and no armour?

Comment

Maybe, but then they can't stand up to attacks. Armoring a rover with high attack is very expensive; armoring a ship with high attack is much less expensive, but I don't know just how much less.
        -BBC news

Comment

Originally posted by Senethro
          Would it be cheaper to make two ships with big guns and no armour?
          Big guns only mean you face the direct attack where your no armour will mean you die without inflicting much damage on the attacker. If you build two ships you could make them best-*-4 and *-4-4 where the "*" represents the highest value that does not increase mineral cost

In times of tech parity, ships are very tough to make that can survive. Assuning equal morale, you need both weapons and armour equal to the attack value of your oppenent to have a 50% chance of surviving . Since available weapons are almost invariably higher than armour . . .

I treat ships as expendable and see the only way to control the seas as being through force of numbers
          You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

The only way to control the seas is with sea bases and with copters...

The problem with ships is they move so dang fast, they can stand in front of a sea base, but attack another one 5 squares away...

I never build sea units, as I find it more useful to invest in a super large airforce...in fact, if I never have to go to war, it is not all uncommon for me to build copters before building any offensive land units, although I doubt I could get away with this on MP....

Comment

Heh, most of my sea stratigy consist of double lair fungus barriers and the secret project that allows you to treat fungues like road or normal sea squares. That project I consider manditory, like the hunter seeker anti-probe's and all other projects get resended to get them. I'll sacurfic my entire faction to make sure I can ride the fungues like a surfer and can't be infultrated.

My shores are usually riddled with radar stands and 2 lairs of fungus out in the sea.

I consider my best weapons my terraformers, an manipulate the terrain around my base to better protect them. Arrays, fungus, bunkers air bases. I can spread my bases out at a wide margen some times, take up a lot of land, and fill a 4 square radius with fungues on both sides of the boarder if I have too.

Comment

An innovative tactic to be sure, but my mind boggles at the thought of the terraformer turns and support costs needed in such an effort.

Its the sort of thing a builder would do.

Cowardly builders.

Comment

MMORPG
                  (+1)

Comment

MMO Massive Multiplayer online
                    RPG Role playing game

Now about the "Cowardly builders" statement.

My main goal is in the depolmatic, educational, and development of my faction citizains. Drone riots are few and far inbetween, only happen for good reasons, and that reason usually proprely delt with. My civies usually have a damn high moral moddifier. My faction is usually a happy faction, but an intellagent and aware faction, and oppose the view that "ignorance is bliss," with an equile and opposet view of "Intellagence is bliss."

We are peaceful knowledge driven people. We don't start wars, but when you piss us off, we will kick your ass.

So far no NPC or player has owned me on this game, and when I felt it nessusary to goto war, NPC and player asses where handed to them. Those players who enjoyed starting a fight, stealing from me, and abusing any treaties made with me, because they overly enjoyed death and destruction, usuaully found them selves the first to die by my hands.

Played this game with many people at college. All my direct friends quickly found out they couldn't beat me, and begun to always sign a pact with me. Others who came around, usually came form the kill him.own him I will win through force ideal, and suffered a quick death.

My use of the Gania's, the terraformer, knowledge, and deplomacy has not been out matched yet, at least not by my own computer or by any of my direct friends and other locals that where invited to the LAN parties.
                    Last edited by jadenstriker; July 18, 2005, 18:01.

Comment

Sounds like you need to join the PBEM community.
                      -BBC news

Comment

Welcome to Apolyton...who is it, Shawnmmc or somebody like that...from what I heard, he'll kick your *** so ****ing hard you'll feel like a newb...

But of course, what do I know...

Comment

Well, most of the people I have played against didn't know much about the game, and my friends have not tried attacking me again despite their development, and you can't really depend on an NPC to be much of a challange after learning a lot about a game, even at it's most difficalt settings.

I provable do need a change of pace and play someone other then friends who choose not to fight me in recent days, NPC's that don't provide a challange, and LAN party invites that don't seem to play much. Getting my ass kicked to newbton maybe fun! If that happend I could do the following:

WOOHOO! YEAH!!! MY ASS WAS FINALLY KICKED BY SOMEONE! (dances around with joy)
                          Last edited by jadenstriker; July 18, 2005, 21:57.

Comment

This game needs a fourth player to get going.

Although its intended as a first time players PBEM Fosse is a very competent player. It'll be a bit different playing against people who know how to play.

Comment

Sometimes, I just love losing badly, it somehow makes me feel better to get killed every once in a while...

Comment

Thanks.
                                (+1)

Comment

Working...
                                X