Atrocities?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jadenstriker
    Nerve stapiling is very rare for me. I usually find a better way around, some sort of tech, a few new facilities, a secret project, or just slap a few talanets down cause the base is over producing any ways. Can I get a growth penalty with this? I think I need one.

PB's, avoid when I can, but some times the NPC just won't stop being an jerk. Complains out the rear, threatens you to no end, demands this and that. Some times it is like, "ok, you won't shutup and let me build in peace, TIME TO DIE!!!"(2 thumbs up, with a smile)

(some happy cheerful go lucky song from your favoret band)
    (picture of sun shine breaking throught the clouds)
    (happy girl and cute puppy runs across a field of grass)
    (image of planet busters going off all over the hive)

(happy girl and cute puppy make cheerful noise, and the puppy gives the girl suger)
    (everyone happy, the hive is dead)

(lang, in a torn up suit) I WILL NOT SURRENDER! *coughcough* with every last breath *coughcough*GAG*choak* I will stab at the!

*sigh* oh well, at least you can't ever become a threat to me ever again. Wait? Where you a threat to me when I desided I didn't want to hear you complain, threaten, and demanded?
    Heh, I can relate. But a couple of Deathspheres gets them off your back too.

They still whine and threaten though, despite over-whelming odds against them, which is silly (some factions do admit they were ill-advised to test my patience.)

Comment

and Lal's PK's would never nerve staple.

I actually had a game with Lal and Yang at war and obliterating every single city captured from the other side
      I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

Originally posted by Datajack Franit

I actually had a game with Lal and Yang at war and obliterating every single city captured from the other side
        That sounds about right.

Take that, stupid PK'ers!
        Despot-(1a) : a ruler with absolute power and authority (1b) : a person exercising power tyrannically
        Beyond Alpha Centauri-Witness the glory of Sheng-ji Yang
        *****Citizen of the Hive****
        "...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis

Comment

I've never committed an atrocity, except accidently nerve-stapling when that obnoxious 'drone riots' thing comes up in my face and I'm trying to get rid of it too quickly. It's really irritating they don't ask you to approve an atrocity, yet they make you confirm so many stupid little things. It ruined a game for me once. My first one with the Free Drones I got locked in an early knock-down drag-out with the University when he had a fairly big tech advantage. I hung on by my fingernails and defeated his impact troops with my lasers and forced him to the peace table. The base I captured went into riots and I accidently hit the 'nerve-stapling' option and it all went downhill from there. He redeclared when I was vulnerable and I lost that city (is it possibile it flipped on me--or is that just Civ3? I can't recall for certain) and the 'sanctions' destroyed my economy and I lost my best improvement. A miserable experience. :-(

Comment

Long live the autosave.
            Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
            Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

Bases can "flip", but it's not like it is in Civ3 - IIRC, if a base has drone riots too many consecutive turns there is a chance it may switch to a random other faction, with the Free Drones having a disproportionately large chance of getting it.

I use "atrocities" very seldom - almost exclusively bug spray, I mean nerve gas, against the aliens. If I'm playing as the Gaians (the usual situation), nerve stapling is (quite correctly) not normally an option (unlike, I will note, the situation with Lal), and most other atrocities are crimes against Planet that must be prevented! If I'm playing as some free market faction, on the other hand, I find punishment spheres underrated. Take Morgan, for example. Punishment spheres have no negative effect on the level of business activity at a base. They completely remove any use for nerve stapling, without any of the crippling economic side effects that nerve stapling can have.

Comment

Thanks for the replies, guys.

Regarding 'autosave,' it's not an option as I always play 'Iron Man' as otherwise the 'autosave' option is too tempting. Also because from my days of Civ2 I used to use not ever reloading as something to make it more challenging and 'historical.' A mistake of that nature was a Nero or Caligula, and mis-keys on the battlefield akin to an incompetant military commander. Though in this case I would have been a far happier camper if I'd had the option. That one little mistake crucified my poor game which was marginal anyway due to running into the University early when he was in a belligerant mood and had more and better troops.

I was really proud of the job I had done fending him off and even winning a destructive war, and then to have it go 'poof' like a dream when I made one stupid error was depressing, not only from a gameplay aspect but from a role-playing one: this was Domai nerve-stapling drones. For a moment I tried to rationalize it as it was a University base and the war had been long and bloody and perhaps vengeance against the captured scientists who brutalize Drones was a plausible 'historical' reason for role playing purposes, but from a gameplay aspect my game was finished anyway.

He took one of my captured bases almost immdiately upon redeclaration, another 'flipped' the turn or so after, and as he'd razed to the ground everything else I once had in the previous war I was left with nothing but my home base defended by a synthmetal garrison and a lonely Laser Rover out doing some belated exploring, and my heroic guardian of the Thermypolae pass who'd saved the faction in the previous war. Due to the sanctions my economy was negative and I'd spent all my credits either in the recent war rushing troops or the turn before rushing buildings trying to catch up after a knock-down drag-out. His newly-minted Missile Rovers were advancing on my only base left and he bribed the garrison defending the bottleneck leaving him within two turns of my home base....

Comment

I'm not a transcend-level player yet, but I haven't really needed atrocities. I have (rarely) stapled a rioting base if necessary, and have dropped a PB in a couple of cases where the AI was dumb enough to put its entire air force into one base. I think I've used nerve gas once, and I did obliterate a couple of bases in a scorched earth withdrawal. The problem that I had after using the atrocities was not the economics -- it was the **** mindworms!

Comment

I use "atrocities" very seldom - almost exclusively bug spray, I mean nerve gas, against the aliens.
                    If I recall correctly, spaying for Aliens isn't actually an atrocity. Planet doesn't get annoyed and you won't break the U.N. Charter, since the Aliens aren't signatories.

I'm not a transcend-level player yet, but I haven't really needed atrocities.
                    You never really NEED to resort to atrocities. They're just fun!

Comment

Originally posted by CEO Aaron
                      If I recall correctly, spaying for Aliens isn't actually an atrocity. Planet doesn't get annoyed and you won't break the U.N. Charter, since the Aliens aren't signatories.
                      This is correct. On my system I edited the Prog Factional text files so that they receive the free ability of nerve gas, which they then will use in abundance!

D

Comment

It's considered an atrocity for diplomatic purposes with that particular faction only. So if you use nerve gas on an alien faction ever, you can never reestablish peace with them.

Comment

True, but as the Bugs produce no trade income, I see no reason to keep them around as submissives. Where's my can of Raid(tm)?

Comment

Working...
                          X