No announcement yet.

Atrocities?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just think it is dumb that SMAC/X doesn't have regular nukes and jumps all the way to the disbelief-snapping PBs. So I usually use an Alpha.txt with PBs disabled.
    (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
    (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
    (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

Why ? We could develop weapons now with a greater impact then nuclear weapons, downside being they're too great for us to currently control.
      Learn to overcome the crass demands of flesh and bone, for they warp the matrix through which we perceive the world. Extend your awareness outward, beyond the self of body, to embrace the self of group and the self of humanity. The goals of the group and the greater race are transcendant, and to embrace them is to acheive enlightenment.

Comment

Originally posted by Straybow
        I just think it is dumb that SMAC/X doesn't have regular nukes and jumps all the way to the disbelief-snapping PBs. So I usually use an Alpha.txt with PBs disabled.
        What's so disbelief-snapping about a fission PB?

Sounds similar to the atomic bombs used in WWII... To me anyways.

And we all know they don't bust Planet, they just make her bleed mindworms
        I once was a slave to the Alderbaran 2 project!
        Now I shall work towards cIV:AC!... Oh Wait, that's dead too...
        It's Nword like 'lord' and 'sword'

Comment

Planet's surface area = 7.18*10^8 km^2 (from planets.txt)
          Size of a standard map = 3200 tiles
          Area/tile = 2.24 * 10^5 km^2
          Area obliterated by a fission PB = 9 tiles = 2.02 * 10^6 km^2

Total area of the US = 9.63 * 10^6 km^2

Thus, a single fission PB takes out an area equivalent to more than a fifth of the entire US. A fusion PB takes out 25/9 times as much, or 5.61 * 10^6 km^2.

Let's analyze the volume vaporized/thrown into orbit/ejected from Planet's gravitational well by a fission PB as it lowers its impact tile by 1 km, assuming the nearby tiles started at the same elevation. For simplicity, assume the volume vaporized is all in the central tile. 1 km * 2.24 * 10^5 km^2 = 2.24 * 10^5 km^3.
          This much rock (5000 kg/m^3) masses 1.12 * 10^18 kg. All of Planet masses 1.10 * 10^25 kg, so a fission PB vaporizes 1/10 millionth of Planet.

A Singularity PB obliterates 81 tiles (1.81 * 10^7 km^2, or 1/40th of Planet's surface) and vaporizes 1 + 9 + 25 + 49 = 84 km-tiles of rock, for 9.41 * 10^19 kg, about 1 part in one hundred thousand of Planet's mass.
          "Cutlery confused Stalin"
          -BBC news

Comment

Once Yang dropped a PB on my beautiful capitol city Morgan Industries, while I was doing my best to stay peaceful the whole game (while supplying my friend with units and tech to fight my wars for me)

I went over the edge, and decimated all his cities with nervegas. YOU DONT TOUCH MY CITIES!
            Truly great madness cannot be achieved without significant intelligence.
            -Henrik Tikkanen

Comment

Originally posted by Chaos Theory
              Have you been gassing my AIs?!
              Not yet, but Yang is starting to try my patience, what with his continually infiltrating AAA cruisers into my crawlered tidal harness parks!

However, I may have to PB a few AI bases pretty soon - yang is jumping way out into the Power Graph lead. I wonder how you managed that, CT...

I'll see about getting those saves off to you tonight, along with an explaination of my approach, how things are going, etc.....

D

Comment

the russians once had the schematics for a H-bomb that would have been strong enough to wipe out most of the US during the cold war didnt they ? or am i imagining again ... sure i heard something like that in a documentary

see straybow, a fission PB doesn't exactly destroy that much as chaos has shown
                Learn to overcome the crass demands of flesh and bone, for they warp the matrix through which we perceive the world. Extend your awareness outward, beyond the self of body, to embrace the self of group and the self of humanity. The goals of the group and the greater race are transcendant, and to embrace them is to acheive enlightenment.

Comment

Oh, and the feeble forces of the Hive has always been a walkover
                  However, I may have to PB a few AI bases pretty soon - yang is jumping way out into the Power Graph lead. I wonder how you managed that, CT...
                  Go Yang !!

Comment

I generally use PB's when someone is using ICS too much to my liking...

makes a nice hole in their one-base-per-tile layout

Comment

Originally posted by Lazerus
                      the russians once had the schematics for a H-bomb that would have been strong enough to wipe out most of the US during the cold war didnt they ? or am i imagining again ... sure i heard something like that in a documentary

see straybow, a fission PB doesn't exactly destroy that much as chaos has shown
                      Quite interesting, actually...during the Manhattan project, the idea of the H bomb was actually introduced, but never used until much later when the threat of the whole atmosphere combusting become relevant...

I'm not 100% sure, but the bombs you may be referring to might have been in the Cuban Missile Crisis, as most of the missiles IIRC could easily have targeted Washington D.C. and still destroy Chicago...

Comment

The apparent strength of them IIRC was something strong enough to wipe out 1/5 of the planet and as such they really were the ultimate MAD because your own weapon would end up destroying you with the backlash aswell, so Stalin decided (he had a soft heart lol) not to build one.

Franky - 2400 years of sanctions by 2178 using staples alone in current PBEM, and it's time to kick in rather alot of nerve gas units to the front line in my war against santi, whos got something like 100 units still, so thats 100 * 30 (possibly rising) years of sanctions to come The Chairmans being a right mean b*****d this game

On the note of atrocities, staples causes no eco damage but gas does, right ? ... might have to use carefully

Comment

The Chairman being afraid of Planet?
                          He who knows others is wise.
                          He who knows himself is enlightened.
                          -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

Nah, just the sea, once i get super formers pumped out then i'll try drowning everyone else for a laugh

Comment

Er... I don't think you need formers - just push your mineral production way up.
                              #play s.-cd#g+c-ga#+dgfg#+cf----q.c
                              #endgame

Quantum P. is a champion: http://geocities.com/zztexpert/docs/upoprgv4.html

Comment

yeah, but he'll probably use those formers to make sure the Hive doesn't drown, right ?
                                no sig

Comment

Working...
                                X