Atrocities?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Atrocities?

I know there are some of us out there that never commit atrocities. Some of us commit them in every game. And there are a few that only do them when the need arises.

Me? Well, despite my lauding of the use of 'busters (which I really do love) I do not use them in every game. Neither do I use nerve gas. I have obliterated bases a few times, but I tend to nerve staple rioting drones like mad....mostly just for kicks...but not in every game.

I just want to know what everyone thinks of atrocities, and what you commit. Or, if you oppose atrocities, why? RP answer or game mechanics are ok.

I tend to PB because its the most effectual way to get rid of those cluster of bases that just seem too hard to crack. Nerve gas I use on the aliens. Obliteration I use on those factions that just tick me off so much that I'd rather kill them all rather than turn them into productive Hive citizens...
    Yes (Planet Buster Away...)
    15.71%
    No (I abide by the weak U.N. Charter)
    22.86%
    Maybe (only for special occasions)
    58.57%
    Obligatory Xenobanana Option
    2.86%
    Despot-(1a) : a ruler with absolute power and authority (1b) : a person exercising power tyrannically
    Beyond Alpha Centauri-Witness the glory of Sheng-ji Yang
    *****Citizen of the Hive****
    "...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis

Let's put it this way...nerve-stapling is a no-no in my book, and is cruel and should be banned...

Nerve-gas is also generally a no-no, however, there are some instances were it would be appropriate... if the survival of my faction and my idealogy depends on it, then yes...

PBs would be treated the same as Nerve-gas, but also would be considered if they could shorten a war or reduce the necessary resources...if I can subdue the enemy by building 2 or 3 PBs, then I don't have to waste energy and minerals on a military, so the PBs would be beneficial...

Unfortunately, the AI won't stop fighting once you commit atrocities, whereas realistically, a prudent leader would surrender and save his people...

Comment

If i'm playing an important game and i need the treaties i'll hold back on the atrocities but if im playing for fun then you really dont wanna bump into me
      I've racked up something like 10,000years of sanctions on a fair few occasions
      Learn to overcome the crass demands of flesh and bone, for they warp the matrix through which we perceive the world. Extend your awareness outward, beyond the self of body, to embrace the self of group and the self of humanity. The goals of the group and the greater race are transcendant, and to embrace them is to acheive enlightenment.

Comment

It's years since I last made an atrocity, and that was mainly because I wanted to see what a PB did. Oh, there was a period where I nervestapled a lot, but that was before I figured out how to control drones by other means.

Haven't ever build a nerve gas unit - it hasn't been nessecary.

Likewise with those tough clusters you mention - they haven't been a problem - a bunch of missiles, choppers and drop units is more than enough.

Oh, and the feeble forces of the Hive has always been a walkover
        With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Atrocities (ie. Nerve gas pods) are great if you want to get rid of those gosh-derned aliens.

In all seriousness with respect to gameplay though, they're pretty much the only way to punch through the ridiculous bonuses that the alien races get.

On the other hand, I rarely use atrocities against another human faction unless the situation really calls for it (ie. the enemy is about to capture another faction's key city, which happens to have some valuable SPs, so I capture it and obliterate the base). PBs aren't really my bread and butter, because I usually have more options at my disposal to accomplish the same thing. That, and I tend to launch several tectonic/fungal missiles to screw with them.

Comment

In the base unmodified game I'd have to say no, as there's no real reason to against base AI's.

However as people in our community continue to modify and enhance the AI's to the point where they are now becoming much more competitive against humans, why I had to vote "Maybe", as on "special occasions" now I do take out AI positions with what I consider to be "appropriate means", whatever they may be.....

D

Comment

Have you been gassing my AIs?!
              "Cutlery confused Stalin"
              -BBC news

Comment

Staple 'em hard, staple 'em plenty. Theres no reason not to. Staple a large newly captured base and make scout rovers for upgrading. Staple the first B-drone as you haven't met anyone yet and won't lose commerce. Staple a base thats about to starve. Staple because you're pacted with someone you're about to war with and don't wish to give them money. Staple your wife when she tells you to stop paying attention to that machine.

Next Valentines day, why not staple the one you love. Its the caring thing to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Senethro
                  Staple 'em hard, staple 'em plenty. Theres no reason not to. Staple a large newly captured base and make scout rovers for upgrading. Staple the first B-drone as you haven't met anyone yet and won't lose commerce. Staple a base thats about to starve. Staple because you're pacted with someone you're about to war with and don't wish to give them money. Staple your wife when she tells you to stop paying attention to that machine.

Next Valentines day, why not staple the one you love. Its the caring thing to do.

Comment

I don't abide by the UN Charter. I live that way Charter or no Charter.
                    I'm one of the guys who writes the UN Charter to restrain guys like you.
                    (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
                    (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
                    (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

"10,000 years of sanctions?" Holy crap! Well...usually once I PB an opponent, I'll continue to PB them, from Fission all the way up to SinBusters. I remember one game where I counted 12 PB's (Fission, Fusion, and Sin mix). That was a fun game.

I think I've committed every atrocity in the game. Nervestaple, PB, Nervegas, and Obliteration (in that order). But I usually don't commit an atrocity against another faction unless there is just cause first. Nervestapling isn't considered a true atrocity in my book....
                      Despot-(1a) : a ruler with absolute power and authority (1b) : a person exercising power tyrannically
                      Beyond Alpha Centauri-Witness the glory of Sheng-ji Yang
                      *****Citizen of the Hive****
                      "...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis

Comment

I don't commit atrocities- and I do try not to nerve gas those loveable aliens.
                        Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

I never dared to try. I have never nerve-stappled, nerve gassed or planet bustered.

Seems like I should at least try the nerve-stapling thing once (I don't really know what it 'll do)
                          no sig

Comment

I destroy all enemy bases if they don't line up with my perfect base alignment or if they don't have a secret project.
                            I once was a slave to the Alderbaran 2 project!
                            Now I shall work towards cIV:AC!... Oh Wait, that's dead too...
                            It's Nword like 'lord' and 'sword'

Comment

Oh, and the feeble forces of the Hive has always been a walkover
                              Report to senethro, you've obviously shaken loose a few staples.

10,000 years of sanctions?" Holy crap!
                              Its not even my record i love the games where i play the Chairman in a totally ruthless form
                              Learn to overcome the crass demands of flesh and bone, for they warp the matrix through which we perceive the world. Extend your awareness outward, beyond the self of body, to embrace the self of group and the self of humanity. The goals of the group and the greater race are transcendant, and to embrace them is to acheive enlightenment.

Comment

Working...
                              X