Solstice 2005 AI challenge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solstice 2005 AI challenge

Basic instructions: put all the files except the .pcx files in a scenario subdirectory; put the .pcx files in the main Alpha Centauri directory.

The situation: You, as Morgan, gathered your coterie first, composed of the best and brightest accountants, lawyers, merchants, brokers, and their ilk. You found a prime location to crash land upon, and promptly set up shop. Business is good, of course, but the addition of some dumb money would cause it to boom! Time to rip someone off! The sweetest form of victory would be economic, but any victory is victory.

Changes:
    More potent artillery
    Ships move significantly faster
    3-Pulse and 8-Pulse armors cheaper (cost of 4 and 9 respectively)
    Noncombat units can be AAA
    Probes can be amphibious
    Fundamentalist and Power boosted
    AI boosted quite a bit
    Mines don't lower nutrient production
    And more!

Rules: No stealing the Ascent to Transcendence! That is, you may not build it if an AI possesses the Voice of Planet. If an AI builds the VoP, you can still conquer, gas, buster, or otherwise pry that SP out of their grasp, and then transcend. No peeking at the faction files before giving the scenario a few tries! Anything else legitimate in a PBEM is fine in this scenario - no cheating, but exploits like crawlers and crawler upgrades are fine.

Any problems with the scenario - post here and I'll look into them. Too easy? I can tweak it. Too hard? Play it again!
    Attached Files
    "Cutlery confused Stalin"
    -BBC news

"3-Pulse and 8-Pulse armors cheaper (cost of 4 and 9 respectively)"

This must be SMAX, then...
    (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
    (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
    (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

I can probably implement something very similar in SMAC, actually, by modifying the SMAX faction files to conform to SMAC and twiddling abilities slightly.
      -BBC news

Comment

Downloaded, will play over weekend.
        -- What history has taught us is that people do not learn from history.
        -- Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

Comment

Aren't you on holiday?
          He who knows others is wise.
          He who knows himself is enlightened.
          -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

in 5 minutes will be.
            -- What history has taught us is that people do not learn from history.
            -- Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

Comment

I like the idea of these changes. I always thought ships and naval warfare should be beefed up and I have come to like arty so I'll be curious to see how much more potent it will be. AAA non combat units will be a blast as well

I'll have to find time to give this a whirl sometime
              You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

I downloaded and played a little bit of this last night: podded a monolith right next to Morgan industries on the first turn! From there though, why things went downhill quickly...
                Anyways, from what I saw why there were some nice features on the map.
                And keeping in the spirit of All Things Morgan why I am going to have to sue Chaos Theory for copyright infringement in that he did utilize my patented idea of Sea Monoliths, without paying the required 1EC per implementation.
                So, "Where's the Money?", CT?

D

Comment

Er... those sea monoliths were originally on land, and must have found their way to the sea via the public-domain mechanism of global warming... that'll hold up, won't it?
                  -BBC news

Comment

Re: Solstice 2005 AI challenge

Originally posted by Chaos Theory
                    ... Too hard? Play it again!
                    Knowing your previous solstice scenario I guess it is the standard procedure...
                    Mart
                    Map creation contest
                    WPC SMAC(X) Democracy Game - Morganities aspire to dominate Planet

Comment

Well, I did make an easier version of it after a while.
                      -BBC news

Comment

And the smax beauty. Factions are properly loaded only when a scenario is started. Then smax does not load proper faction files... Needs either be played in one "session" or saved as scenario Well, they are loaded, but later. Initially they give "scare" message. I always inserted faction files into root folder.

I like difficult scenarios, Chaos. The previos Solstice is awesome.
                        Last edited by Mart; June 22, 2005, 17:28.
                        Mart
                        Map creation contest
                        WPC SMAC(X) Democracy Game - Morganities aspire to dominate Planet

Comment

Originally posted by Chaos Theory
                          Well, I did make an easier version of it after a while.
                          Whatever for ??

Flubber can be all jaunty BEFORE the scenario kicks his ass
                          You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Solstice 2005, now with less "X"!

This version plays a little differently, and I might have overlooked something in the conversion, but everything seemed to work in cursory playtesting.
                            -BBC news

Comment

Originally posted by mart7x5
                              Factions are properly loaded only when a scenario is started. Then smax does not load proper faction files... Needs either be played in one "session" or saved as scenario
                              Is this true that the game needs to be saved as a scenario in order to continue properly? I played about 3.5 hours last night before realizing it was well after midnight , then saved off the file both as a game and as a scenario - I just want to know which one to continue with when I pick up playing tonight - real fun scenario CT!
                              I really like playing against the "different" Factions, as I don't know what to expect from them diplomatically (I'll have to see about sneaking in some "new" Factions in the future challenges I make as well! ).
                              I'm trying a different approach for Morgan in this game, and it was just beginning to bear fruit when I finished up last night. I had just discovered MMI and was building the CBA, with the CF up next in line. Didn't look like anyone else was in the running for either of these, and I might just begin a big run of SP's after this.

Originally posted by mart7x5
                              I like difficult scenarios, Chaos. The previos Solstice is awesome.
                              Much better than a randomly generated game!

D

Comment

Working...
                              X