Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

should smac2 be liberal or conservitive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

one of the most basic reasons i would not want tiles is because it is like chess

it is obvoiusly impossible to get rid of them,but getting ridding of the..square..feeling would be an objective here

if you asked me to go through the trees near my house with the expectation of encountering hostiles,i would most certainly use cover and advance through the trees zigzaging style...not walk in a straight row cause God put tile markers down
    if you want to stop terrorism; stop participating in it

''Oh,Commissar,if we could put the potatoes in one pile,they would reach the foot of God''.But,replied the commissar,''This is the Soviet Union.There is no God''.''Thats all right'' said the worker,''There are no potatoes''

Comment

You can always make squares to not be squares (hexes e.g.) and make them smaller.
      -- What history has taught us is that people do not learn from history.
      -- Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

Comment

..also you can make "overlapping" squares which would affect half of the nearby square as well, thus ZOC would be pretty easy to implement.
        -- Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

Comment

While SMACX still keeps ZOC, civ3 resigned from them, apart from some stuff like bombarding moving enemy units near forts. On the other hand, when pacted in smacx, one can have multiple faction units on the same tile, but not in civ3. How about possibility of co-existing any units on the same tile? Especially probe teams should be able too, if we consider them like a few people teams, they might really sneak through enemy military camps. They ignore ZOC at this time.
          Mart
          Map creation contest
          WPC SMAC(X) Democracy Game - Morganities aspire to dominate Planet

Comment

Games that you all should look at before even considering how to create SMAC 2...

Total War Games (Shogun, Rome, and Europe)

These have turns based off seasons, where facilities are created, money is spent, and units are moved...then, at the end of each turn, or season, all military units moved into hostile territory engage in fighting, real-time fighting...allows you to truly make use of different units and effectively prevents any "trump cards", although SMAC does a decent job at this...

Command and Conquer

I have played some of these games, especially Tiberian Sun, just a little...I don't like the interface exactly, but some features could really help on no tiles and real time...

Empire Earth

I don't own this game, but I have played it a lot (long time ago, actually). The interface is pretty good, except it isn't exactly realistic to have 3 rock slingers and a samson as your standing army...

Having regiments that actually have feasible troop numbers like 300 or 500 that can be moved and grouped into numerous ways in a real time world, that adapt to the terrain such as in real combat (no plus +25% for just being in rocky terrain, actually command the troops, you lazy bum!).

Are any of these games Perfect? Heck no...they all have issues, and I really only like the first ones I mentioned (the total war games)...but, by using the best of each game, it is possible to make a true SMAC 2 legacy...

I also think it wouldn't be so bad to look at Civ 4...perhaps some of us could be Beta Testers?

Comment

total war

command and conquer's,EE.....you must not play RTS if those come to mind those games move far to fast for strategy like in smac,where you plan where your next PB hits while smoking a cigar(well some of us anyhow )

EE is the civ3 of RTS :/

..also you can make "overlapping" squares which would affect half of the nearby square as well, thus ZOC would be pretty easy to implement.
              i had the crazy idea of circular overlaping tiles(think that chain mail mesh) today.gonna talk to a programming friend today about that,though i know he hates circles...

''Oh,Commissar,if we could put the potatoes in one pile,they would reach the foot of God''.But,replied the commissar,''This is the Soviet Union.There is no God''.''Thats all right'' said the worker,''There are no potatoes''

Comment

RTS...what does that stand for? I, and I just knew it, dang it...

As for Command and Conquer, I really don't like those games very much, they're just okay...and I really hope SMAC never goes that way...all I'm saying is they could give us some ideas...

Personally, I think anyone who wants to make SMAC real-time needs to find another company besides firaxis and set up a completely different game...there is nothing wrong with real-time, but we don't play SMAC because it is real time or realistic, now do we? SMAC, I believe, needs to be turn-based. Why? Because that's what is SMAC...a good game LIKE SMAC could be made that is real-time, but it would never be the same as SMAC...not worse, not better, just different...

Comment

RTS = Real Time Strategy
                  He's got the Midas touch.
                  But he touched it too much!
                  Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

EU2 is the best RTS ever, to be sure, but I still prefer SMAX to it - without TBS you just can't play PBEM...

Now, how many of you would find 6 - 8 hours in a row for MP? For one, I wouldn't.

Comment

EU2 is the best RTS ever
                      QFT

Comment

QFT? ALL THESE ABREVIATIONS HURT MY HEAD...

CCCP & CCP

Comment

lol commy

actually the ''sort of real time'' system ive been thinking of here WOULD allow PBEM everyone plans moves,someones comp does the work,(or a server) and everyone then gets updates and sees how the day\hours\minutes\nanoseconds went... if your general commanding an infantry division hasnt made his daily report or if he is being comm-jammed,well you can only guesstimate where his forces should be

Comment

I haven't ever heard about such a system, I'm not sure if it would work. For example, someone would like to modify his orders every second or nanosecond. And if the server conducts the game all the time, it means that people who have more time can do better than others - something I always despised in online games.

Comment

the ''turn'' isnt completed until everyone says OK or you just pass a .sav around and do the orders,and last person in list sends it to server,which sends it to the next player....

<----is improvising off top of his head

Comment

So, for example: 2 rovers are facing each other. One is ordered to drive away, the other is ordered to attack. What happens ?
                                no sig

Comment

Working...
                                X