Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

should smac2 be liberal or conservitive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• should smac2 be liberal or conservitive?

i was over at cIV forums and was posting OT stuff about tileless maps and simultanious turns,and it got me thinking on smac2.on one hand,theres the players i encountered in that forum that basicly say they want the same old civ,which imho is a style pushed to far.4x is great,but civ2 was 1994 and this is now 11 years later.the same old(updated) model has undergone no serious improvements,but the
    whole rest of the world has changed.

i was thinking (1)tileless,(2)real time,(3)full 3d map and maybe other things i havnt thought of yet.and with that statement alienated 99% of the smac community (including myself if i read this 2 days ago). on an agreeable note,(4) an innovative anti ICS

(1)tileless.im sure everyone is familar with the probs of tiles.faster diagonal movement,maps that are blocky(relative to resolution),and all those other things.a tileless system might remove all that and bring in even more complications,needless to say increased complexity

Campaign
    map

raildroad tycoon

these are 2 games that use a ''tileless'' system.of course,they still have tiles,just smaller and less noticable,if shown at all. if you look at either of these maps,you will notice a much better world,real mountains,almost an ariel photograph of terrian. of course,unit movement gets more complicated,but the total war system of stacking units to form armies would be great,but take out

the generals(rpg'ish) and etc.this way if you have 4 impact rifles,3 rovers and a former you can move them all with one click,or just select the rovers and move them out from the formation in a new
    formation of their own)the rtw system of moving units on the map seems adequate to me.one thing should be stressed,this WOULD NOT be rtw AT ALL. the way i envision it,units have a radius about them and entering that allows you to attack the unit. maybe all the terrian(trees,elevation even buildings) could play into
    the fight.

(2) real time.im sure this is the biggest bone to pick,and visions of frantic button clicking and speed games pop into your head. let me reassure you,i have played starcraft,warcraft3,aok:tc, and by
    no means would i mean to say it would be anything like that.not that i didnt have fun playing those titles,but that just isnt smac,period. those kind of games give real time a bad name.i have yet to play it,but EU 1 or 2 may have what i mean by 'real time'(anyone confirm these games as good real time models?)

also to help out here,player made ''scripts'' for unit behavoiur or more prefferably selectable intelligent scripts that come with the game(yeah right). say i have 2 impact inf heading along a ridge.they spot a hive rover in the valley below to their right.they check the script i selected for unit behavoiur in that position,and move along(at a sneakier pace) the opposite side out of sight but with elements on the ridge to keep the rover in sight,instead of simply moving foreward blindly.

this raises an interesting point.should they be allowed to attack from where they are with rifles on the ridge,or need to move down into physical contact as it is now? being able to attack from range would require a much zoomed in map(no longer measure tiles as 100x100 km but say,1x1 km).

(3) full 3d.this fits in with my prevoius point,and only included because of that.if sush a system would be implemented,a free roving camera(with a lowest height limit) might be good. im no fan of fancy graphics,myself.heck,i prefer civ2 graphics to civ3 this might mean a system reminescent of 'ground control'

[http://www.igrograd.com.ua/images/81-141/ground/4.jpg]
    [http://igrozone.com/pic/screen/groun...l%202/gc07.jpg]

preferably implement the best from many current games and designs,and hopefully leave behind all the weaknesses in the examples i have shown.i know every point of mine raises up as many issues as it solves(or more) and the games i offer as examples have some serious drawbacks....

(4) innovative anti ICS.bear with me since i havnt played any new titles in last year or so really,so maybe this is done already. my idea would be to have energy,nutirents,minerals,with real physical quantities,so that having 3 bases on the same river(1 tile spacing) would use up so much of the limited food supply in to fast a time which would result in famine. IE in a closed system there is 20 food,10 minerals,10 energy. 1 base at size 5 could get say 10 food at a constant rate(ten food per month,system regrows that much per month) but 3 size 2's would take 12 food,IE outsripping local resources.also pollution(harder to dispose of wastes) and other things would hamper close spacing.just look at india or china.they are ICSing like mad all through history,and loosing.

*collapses exhausted* will spellcheck later if i did something to bad
    You must be Burned at the Stake for your heretical views! :doitnow!:
    29.63%
    Not a good Idea
    14.81%
    Good idea,but just not for SMAC2
    22.22%
    Good ideas,BUT i have some long winded proposals of my own.......
    14.81%
    *eats a xenobanana*
    18.52%
    if you want to stop terrorism; stop participating in it

''Oh,Commissar,if we could put the potatoes in one pile,they would reach the foot of God''.But,replied the commissar,''This is the Soviet Union.There is no God''.''Thats all right'' said the worker,''There are no potatoes''

anyone confirm these games as good real time models?
    Not fully realtime, you can pause the game, set the moves and then unpause it again. Also you can change speed.

But EU 2 is brilliant in its sphere.
    -- What history has taught us is that people do not learn from history.
    -- Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

Comment

just look at india or china.they are ICSing like mad all through history,and loosing.
      You know if you put them both in a SMACX map and put yourself in as any other modern state (keeping all the proportions), even as US, you'd surely get pwned by them.

Statement is false.
      -- Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

Comment

dosnt that mean smax is seriously flawed,not that my statement is false?

''Oh,Commissar,if we could put the potatoes in one pile,they would reach the foot of God''.But,replied the commissar,''This is the Soviet Union.There is no God''.''Thats all right'' said the worker,''There are no potatoes''

Comment

Nope, I just don't see how India or China are "losing".

They're the fastest growing economies and China is one of the most efficient.

You'd be surprised how many things in U.S. are owned by chinese companies..

Comment

india and china have no 'projection of power' capabilites,AFAIK

economic wealth is not determined by ownership of buisenesses.

you'd be surprised how at the mercy of US china really is. while we could get factories up quickly for most imported goods,they would have no market to send things.they cannot go to war with us,period.but we can,if willing to take a pinch

Comment

india and china have no 'projection of power' capabilites,AFAIK

economic wealth is not determined by ownership of buisenesses.

you'd be surprised how at the mercy of US china really is. while we could get factories up quickly for most imported goods,they would have no market to send things.they cannot go to war with us,period.but we can,if willing to take a pinch
              Yeah, whatever.

Don't you think this sounds kinda like "you all suck, we americans rule?".

I wonder if you really think what you write.

And after all - why then you import things from China?
              Go bring up your factories!

Comment

actually americans suck. i only know a few people i really like. the others embarrass me. im not sure what i did to earn the hostility in your post

im sure we could bring up our factories if it wasnt for the unlimited greed of certian people

btw i dont recall being elected president to be able to decide on import bans

Comment

Okay.

But I actually don't get what's wrong with ICS.

And I also don't think that India or China is "losing". Their economy is growing and the Chinese is also being praised as very efficent.

Comment

ill admit i dont know their status atm with numbers. but all through history they have had the most people in the least area.thats what wins in smac,yes?more research,more everything,whereas 5 tile placement isnt much of an advantage

but instead,i see europe as the most progressive,getting out there,and at one time or another,mostly the whole planet has been under europes control. i dont see indian colonies and i dont live in the United States of China

either history is wrong and for some reason somehow europe cheated,or ics'ing really dosnt work. i was under the impression practicly everyone here didnt like ICS,and it was a majour issue im ok with it myself.infact i just ics'ed in the sg at civfanatics

seems like the game would be deeper if you could get some benefit from either ICS or perfect base placement and need to make a choice

Comment

Yes, the ICS's only problem actually is that some factions can get it so powerful, other strategies can't stand a 1on1.

So there could be some balance mechanism, yes but not as some here say that ICS should be banned at all.

In fact no strategy should ever be banned. If it becomes more powerful than others, you should only invent some balance mechanism.

Im using ICS often myself and I don't see anything really bad about it.

Comment

Yes, the ICS's only problem actually is that some factions can get it so powerful, other strategies can't stand a 1on1.
                        Im using ICS often myself and I don't see anything really bad about it.

Comment

What's your point?

Comment

I doubt I can make it any clearer.

Comment

You mean the conflict?

Okay I meant one can take it as a problem, but I like as it is as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X