Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• General Announcement from the new Owners / New Forum Ruleset

Members of Apolyton,

On May 1st the ownership of Apolyton Civilization Site was transfered to Jeroen Schweitzer and Robert Plomp.
    Since then the new administrators have started to learn as much as possible about the administration responsibilities of Apolyton.

Jeroen and Robert are developing new ideas for Apolyton.
    • Jon Miller, Lorizael and MikeH have become Off Topic Moderators, together with the Administrators

• Together with them and the other Staff Members of Apolyton we have created a new set of rules for the forums (See below)

• We have started to work on a new front-page layout and meta-forum layout. The philosophy is to integrate the homepage, news, content and forum sections into one intuitive interface.

• We are working on a Question and Answers application in a Yahoo! style where everybody can ask or answer questions regarding Civilization. We hope this may grow into one big information resource for everything that's related to Civilization

• We intend to create a Civilization strategy wiki

• Asher accepted our request to work on a secret project. We expect a lot from this, both for Apolyton and the future of Civilization. It's a project that fits in and belongs to the history and tradition of Apolyton but made in a very cool web 2.0 design.

• The King is dead, Long live the King! To celebrate the new ownership we have decided to lift all permabans. All members that are banned, like Yo_Yo_Yo_Hey and Stewart Spink, can request a lifting by sending a PM to the administrators. Spambots, Double Logins, Abuse logins and Hardman are exceptions to this rule. Dale's ban will be lifted 2 months from now.

• On the background we're thinking about large improvements to the forums and the site in general. We read all suggestions and advice we receive! Thanks for all the input. It's really appreciated.

We hope that we can let Apolyton continue as an important fansite for the Civilization series! Thanks to all members for your cooperation here.
    We are aware that it is impossible for us to always make the right decision. We wish we could but we can't. If you believe that we are doing something wrong, please make us aware of it. It will be impossible to please everybody. Therefore we ask you to accept that sometimes things go a little bit different than you expected.

Let's go for it!
    Keep on Civin'!

Jeroen Schweitzer and Robert Plomp

New ruleset for the Apolyton Civilization Site forums.
    The philosophy behind these rules is:
    • Make the forums a place for good on-topic talking and debate

• Give some space for more lighthearted talking and chatting without moderating too strictly

• Generate space again for serious off topic debates about all kinds of topics. Apolyton used to be a place for serious debates and threads.

• Keep the site friendly for visitors. Don't confront people with unwanted material.

• Let's entertain ourselves without bickering about moderating or trolling all the time

• Some responsibility to the members. Behave where you have to behave so we can cut you some slack where you can goof around a bit. This works two ways.

So here are the rules. We tried to minimise them as much as possible. Everybody is free to discuss these rules in this thread. We know that these rules aren't perfect. We did that on purpose to give you something to talk about.

The Staff members of Apolyton Civilization Site

General Posting Rules

1. Do not post anything that violates the laws of your country, the laws of the Netherlands (the site owners’ country) or the laws of the United States of America (the country where Apolyton is hosted).
    2. Hate speech based on sex, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, disability will not be tolerated.
    3. Do not engage in explicit sexual discussion (including explicit pictures, links to explicit sites or explicit discussions of sexual acts).
    4. Do not use more than one login to post. If you grow weary of your login, you may request a username change by sending a private message to an administrator.
    5. Do not violate the privacy of any member of Apolyton. This includes disclosing private communications or any personal or private information about an individual.
    6. Do not plot, plan or discuss anything that would involve harm to any individual/organization/corporation/website, even if the discussion does not technically break any laws. Apolyton strives to maintain good relations with other civilization sites. We are aware that some users are members of multiple sites but we suggest that if you have any issues with those other sites you take them up with the relevant site rather than posting about them here.
    7. Do not post commercial advertisements. However, if you have an interesting Civilization-related mod or project you want to let people know about, please do so! If you are in any doubt about which side of the line your post falls on, please ask a moderator for guidance.
    8. Signatures can only contain normal-sized text. They may be in any format or color. All other general rules also apply to signatures.
    9. All posts should be made in English, with the exception of posts in the Spanish Civilization Site forums, which may also be made in Spanish. Exceptions to this rule can be requested.
    10. Constructive criticism of the site and offers of help are always welcome. Please post your views in the 'Site Feedback & News' forum, or send a PM to one of the administrators.
    11. Posts in on topic forums should be relevant to the forum in which they are posted and should stay on topic as far as possible. Threads or posts in the wrong forum or thread may be moved, closed or deleted. Bad language may also be removed from on topic forums to preserve the family friendly nature of the site
    12. Be nice to newbies!
    13. Do not be a jerk. From time to time Apolyton staff are bound to make mistakes, despite their best efforts. Please try and work with us to improve things and bear in mind some things might take longer than you expect.

Special Off Topic Forum Rules

1. The Off Topic Forum will be moderated more lightly than other forums.
    2. Topics that might be considered 'spam' or 'trolling' in on topic forums will more often be tolerated in the Off Topic.
    3. Posters who want to have serious debates can insert the label "[serious]" into their thread titles. We'd ask users to respect their wishes and remain on topic in those threads. If you wish to have a lighthearted thread on the same subject, start a new thread.
    4. Jokes / mild name-calling / banter etc. are allowed as along as their attitude is jovial or humorous. Malicious personal attacks, attacks that are deemed to be aimed at driving other users from the site and personal threats will not be tolerated.
    5. There may be some quirky traditions in the Off Topic that appear to break some of the main site rules, such as the Finnish thread. These are allowed.
    Last edited by Robert; May 12, 2009, 05:21.
    Formerly known as "CyberShy"
    Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

By,
    CUL8R.
    Last edited by theViking; May 12, 2009, 08:00.
    The viking age ended 1066 at Monday, September 25, 6pm

Comment

A general amnesty? Nice. Can I save my pardon for situations that might me get banned later?
      Blah

Comment

You could have stripped it down to one rule.

Do not be a jerk.

But I do understand why you have to be more specific.

Well done.
        It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
        RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

That's my favourite of the rules.
          Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
          Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
          We've got both kinds

Comment

I think as a sure sign of the new beginning we all should be allowed to post in the "closed threads" forum
            Blah

Comment

Yes!
              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
              "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
              He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Plomp View Post

... Asher accepted our request to work on a secret project. We expect a lot from this, both for Apolyton and the future of Civilization. It's a project that fits in and belongs to the history and tradition of Apolyton but made in a very cool web 2.0 design. ...
                Jeroen Schweitzer and Robert Plomp,
                The New Rules look very reasonable. Especially, Thank You for taking advantage of Asher's talents. This bodes very well for the future of Apolyton.
                And indeed there will be time To wonder, "Do I dare?" and, "Do I dare?". t s eliot

Comment

I especially appreciated the announcement "and the future of Civilization." That has to be about as mind boggling as I've heard in several years! It doesn't even seem to involve the civ franchise.

Comment

epic. long live our new dutch overlords.

when can we get a civ5 forum to start wishlisting in?
                    I wasn't born with enough middle fingers.
                    [Brandon Roderick? You mean Brock's Toadie?][Hanged from Yggdrasil]

Comment

I may ban you for using wishlist as a verb.
                      Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                      "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

sorry, it's usually the only way i see it used. i blame the ignorant wargamers at warseer.
                        I wasn't born with enough middle fingers.
                        [Brandon Roderick? You mean Brock's Toadie?][Hanged from Yggdrasil]

Comment

General announcement

Forum ruleset

I like the way you guys are going about this. Open agenda, innovative workings, positive tone. I'm having trouble being grumpy about anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaybe View Post
                            I especially appreciated the announcement "and the future of Civilization." That has to be about as mind boggling as I've heard in several years! It doesn't even seem to involve the civ franchise.
                            They've put him to work to figure out a real answer to the Kobayashi Maru
                            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                            - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

I think the rules strike a nice balance between being general enough to cover the behaviours you are trying to control, and specific enough that people know what they mean in practice.

I'd like to see the no personal attacks rule more clearly in the general rules though. Vindictive posts/campaigns against posters have happened outside of OT.

Comment

Working...
                              X