PolyCast Christmas Special 2007: "Girls Playing Civ"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jaybe
    Really enjoyed this episode. Have only listened to it twice so far.

ADDENDUM: Thanks for the Christmas gift!
    Welcome.

Originally posted by JulianD
    65minsXXseconds: gigglefest

Originally posted by Nugog
    Excellent episode!

Always nice... to know that I am not the only one who makes illogical game decisions.

Good format too - nicely "chunked" for stop/start listening - escpecially for a long episode like this.

Thank you kindly.

Originally posted by Zoid
    Best episode yet!

, newsflash!
    PolyCast Co-Host, Owner and Producer: entertaining | informing civ
    >> PolyCast (Civ strategy), ModCast (Civ modding), TurnCast (Civ multiplay); One More Turn Dramedy

Comment

Thanks -- this was an entertaining episode. Thanks to Kmad for the info about how the UN votes tallied (I suspected as much, but it's nice to see that it was done in a controlled, scientific manner...)

Also: I DO put my "jkp1187" name when I post screenshots...but that's only because I usually have some variation on my full name in the game, and I've no desire to have more hits on google...

Originally posted by Heraclitus

PS: WTF is CFC?
      Chlorofluorocarbons.
      "The nation that controls magnesium controls the universe."

-Matt Groenig

Comment

Originally posted by Jaybe
        For determining how much time I spend playing a game...
        i think it might actually scare me to know. this way i can rationalize it away!

And the elephants are not cute - they are vicious beasts of war, bred for their natural aggression!
        oh come on. english bulldogs are cute, but they were bred to be aggressive and stubborn and fight bulls! they are precious and adorable.

this is the reason why i mentioned the Ballista Elephant as the best entry in the civilopedia:
        ...The animals' massive size allowed them to trample infantry and their unsettling smell caused horses to panic and flee, giving the beast a stunning tactical advantage in the field. ...[blah blah historical stuff] it was the Khmer that perfected the deployment of the great siege crossbow, the ballista, deployed on the back of a mountainous pachyderm."
        that just cracks me up. because all of my knowledge of warfare and military history comes from civ, when i see the word "infantry" i don't think "foot soldiers", i think "the units after riflemen". so the thought of those tough guys going "OMG, the stench! those pachyderms are big! they're huge! they're like mountains! flee, run away!" just kills me.

Comment

Originally posted by jkp1187
          Thanks -- this was an entertaining episode.

Thanks to Kmad for the info about how the UN votes tallied
          I hadn't thought about the point before listening myself, but indeed.

Chlorofluorocarbons.

Originally posted by KMadeleine
          oh come on. english bulldogs are cute, but they were bred to be aggressive and stubborn and fight bulls! they are precious and adorable.
          Bulldogs? Cute? Oh my...

i think it might actually scare me to know. this way i can rationalize it away!
          >> PolyCast (Civ strategy), ModCast (Civ modding), TurnCast (Civ multiplay); One More Turn Dramedy

Comment

Originally posted by KMadeleine i saw it in the Poly username of some guy named "Methos from CFC" and i like the ring of it.
            It wasn't until this episode that I realized your join date here.

Excellent episode! It was a lot of fun to listen to and it gave me something to do while at work.

I agree with everyone else, this is one of the best episodes I've heard and I would really enjoy another like it. Oops, sorry, one of the best "specials".

:hmm: Trying to picture hearing Imran, Wouter, or DanQ talking about how cute the sheep are. Uh, that image just went bad....

It's nice to hear all the free HOF ads!
            Civ4 CFC Hall of Fame: Forums, Rules, FAQ, Tables, Email: hof.civfanatics@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by Methos from CFC
              Excellent episode! It was a lot of fun to listen to

and it gave me something to do while at work.

I agree with everyone else, this is one of the best episodes I've heard

and I would really enjoy another like it. Oops, sorry, one of the best "specials".

Technically it's a special; in practice, it's a super-episode (particularly given its length).

Trying to picture hearing Imran, Wouter, or DanQ talking about how cute the sheep are. Uh, that image just went bad....
              No kidding...

Comment

Trying to picture hearing Imran, Wouter, or DanQ talking about how cute the sheep are.

I'm sooo doing that next time
                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                  I'm sooo doing that next time
                  You're warning people to give them a chance to prepare!?

Comment

Originally posted by KMadeleine

Vicious attack hounds!

Sadistic slobberers!

I don't know why he saved my life. Maybe in those last moments he loved life more than he ever had before. Not just his life - anybody's life, my life. All he'd wanted were the same answers the rest of us want. Where did I come from? Where am I going? How long have I got? All I could do was sit there and watch him die.

Comment

Oh - and democracy gamers do not obsess - we discuss freely to ensure all points of view are taken into account.

Yeah - thats it!

I don't know why he saved my life. Maybe in those last moments he loved life more than he ever had before. Not just his life - anybody's life, my life. All he'd wanted were the same answers the rest of us want. Where did I come from? Where am I going? How long have I got? All I could do was sit there and watch him die.

Comment

Originally posted by Methos from CFC
                        It's nice to hear all the free HOF ads!
                        Plus - nice plugs for the BtS Tournament!

Comment

Plus - nice plugs for the BtS Tournament!

Comment

My wife has been playing Beyond the Sword religiously since she kicked the World of Warcraft habit. She has played all of the Civ games since Civ1.

She is actually more aggressive than me in single player, and was a terror in mutiplayer when Civ4 first came out ("you are getting pwned by a GIRL!!!").
                            "Cunnilingus and Psychiatry have brought us to this..."

Tony Soprano

Comment

Originally posted by MasterDave
                              My wife has been playing Beyond the Sword religiously since she kicked the World of Warcraft habit. She has played all of the Civ games since Civ1.

She is actually more aggressive than me in single player, and was a terror in mutiplayer when Civ4 first came out ("you are getting pwned by a GIRL!!!").

Did you listen to the show? Are you a regular, occasional listener to date or..?

Comment

Hi Dan,

I have been posting at Poly off and on since 1998, but this was the first podcast I listened to. I am also a regular multiplayer participant in RAH's Saturday games. Makhalua has occasionally graced us with her presence at some of those games, so I wanted to hear what she and the other ladies had to say. It was quite entertaining, I liked the Civ music interludes dividing the topics, it gave the podcast sort of a polished NPR sort of feel.

My wife got into one of the Saturday games as well under a secret identity, but she got beaten like a drum when she tried to attack Snoopy. I have a reputation of being one of the more aggressive players in the Saturday group, but my wife plays far more bloodthirstily than I do most of the time.
                                Last edited by MasterDave; December 28, 2007, 14:00.
                                "Cunnilingus and Psychiatry have brought us to this..."

Tony Soprano

Comment

Working...
                                X