Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should 'Apolyton' and 'Community' be split into different forums?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One live forum is better than two dead ones. Don't split forums if the traffic does not justify it.
    Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by St Leo
      One live forum is better than two dead ones. Don't split forums if the traffic does not justify it.
      Where were you when teh decision to create teh History Forum was made?
      THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
      AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
      AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
      DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

No, no, you guys miss the point. Every time you lose a poster you make a new forum. That way, the universe will be balanced.

OOOoooooommmmmmmmm...

Got it?

Really?

Could you explain it to me?
        Long time member @ Apolyton
        Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Originally posted by LordShiva
          Where were you when teh decision to create teh History Forum was made?

Not here.

Let's go through the forums.

Dead:
          - Galactic Civilizations I (merge with GalCiv2)
          - Civ3 Creation (turn into subforum)
          - Master of Orion III (merge with I/II)
          - Alternative Civilizations (maybe merge into Other Games)
          - Humanitas (merge into AltCiv)
          - Clash of Civilizations (merge into AltCiv)

Dying:
          - Civ4 SPDG The Atlantians (kill)
          - Civ Series General/Non-Windows (merge into Other Games)
          - Rise of Nations
          - AC Creation (turn into subforum)
          - Master of Orion I/II
          - Freeciv
          - Civ4 Alpha Centauri (why was this split off?)
          - Stories & Diplomacy (merge into OT)

That barely scratches the surface. If you stick a huge crowd into a room too big for it, it will feel lonely. Apolyton feels lonely despite having 1500 active users. Get rid of the weeds and the flotsam before it destroys the community, and Apolyton will flourish again.

Comment

Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
            I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
            Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

- Galactic Civilizations I (merge with GalCiv2)
              Will be considered.

- Civ3 Creation (turn into subforum)
              A sub-forum of which parent? I'm still not sure regardless.

- Master of Orion III (merge with I/II)
              - Alternative Civilizations (maybe merge into Other Games)
              - Humanitas (merge into AltCiv)
              Will be considered.

- Clash of Civilizations (merge into AltCiv)
              In addition to being an "AltCiv", it's also a Hosted Site. There may be something comparable along the lines that you've suggested that could 'work' though.

Civ4 SPDG The Atlantians (kill)
              Will be considered (though would be archived, not deleted).

- Civ Series General/Non-Windows (merge into Other Games)
              No -- that would not make sense given our site's gaming coverage structure.

- AC Creation (turn into subforum)
              A sub-forum of which parent? I'm still not sure regardless.

- Civ4 Alpha Centauri (why was this split off?)
              In part because it is a Hosted Site, but also in part because of its specialized nature.

- Stories & Diplomacy (merge into OT)
              Not convinced, but something could perhaps be done still...

That barely scratches the surface.
              PolyCast Co-Host, Owner and Producer: entertaining | informing civ
              >> PolyCast (Civ strategy), ModCast (Civ modding), TurnCast (Civ multiplay); One More Turn Dramedy

Comment

Just merge em all into one great fustercluck and let anarchy reign, all three of us will get along.

I think it would be fun. Any group *****es too much, then give them a forum back.

Leave one forum, say, 'CTP I Scenario Creation', and let Ming mod that.

Comment

Originally posted by DanQ
                  Well, those were naive suggestions based on inactivity. A more sophisticated proposal would suggest a restructuring of active forums.

For example, I would merge Civ2 PBEM into Civ2 Scenario League. PBEM was originally split off from Scenario League, and only scenarios are played PBEM. It's much less active than it used to be, with 3 instead of 20 ongoing games. It makes sense to rejoin them, as people who create scenarios are also the people who play them, and there is talk of PBEM on the Scenario League forum.

In fact, it seems that new games are organized in the Scenario League forum and only then transferred into the PBEM forum.

I would also merge at least one of History and Tech forums back into the OT. OT is languishing in relative inactivity, and there is but a fine line distinguishing politics from History. The merger would give OT a good booster shot in the arm.

Comment

Well, those were naive suggestions based on inactivity. A more sophisticated proposal would suggest a restructuring of active forums.

For example, I would merge Civ2 PBEM into Civ2 Scenario League. PBEM was originally split off from Scenario League, and only scenarios are played PBEM. It's much less active than it used to be, with 3 instead of 20 ongoing games. It makes sense to rejoin them, as people who create scenarios are also the people who play them, and there is talk of PBEM on the Scenario League forum.

In fact, it seems that new games are organized in the Scenario League forum and only then transferred into the PBEM forum.

I would also merge at least one of History and Tech forums back into the OT. OT is languishing in relative inactivity, and there is but a fine line distinguishing politics from History. The merger would give OT a good booster shot in the arm.
                    You could always merge Politics with History. I suggested once before a Politics forum, though the idea was rejected at the time. Of course, that would just leave the OT as a place for mindless blather and crazy talk.
                    The Apolytoner formerly known as Alexander01
                    "God has given no greater spur to victory than contempt of death." - Hannibal Barca, c. 218 B.C.
                    "We can legislate until doomsday but that will not make men righteous." - George Albert Smith, A.D. 1949
                    The Kingdom of Jerusalem: Chronicles of the Golden Cross - a Crusader Kings After Action Report

Comment

Why break with tradition?

Comment

I think this discussion needs its own forum.

Everyone agree?

Comment

Working...
                        X