Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LordShiva
    Can we get a Birthday Sub-Forum?
    LordShiva for mod in the Birthday subforum!
    DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Would it be at all possible to fix the navigation nightmare that is the rest of the site before adding yet more probable ghost-town destinations?

If you want to see why people stopped coming here for actual game news (as was discussed recently) just look there. I recently restarted playing Civ and went to look for info and downloads about Warlords...finding anything useful was an exercise in frustration and annoyance. Not that That Other Place is much better in this regard--you both rely far too much on the forums--but that doesn't make it any better here.
      "In the beginning was the Word. Then came the ******* word processor." -Dan Simmons, Hyperion

Comment

I have volunteered in 2 other places and I thought I'd post it here. I volunteer for NationStates Sub-Forum Moderator.
        USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA!
        The video may avatar is from

Comment

Originally posted by Lazarus and the Gimp
          Oh look. Loads of new threads starting to appear in the history forum.

Incidentally, anyone else calling for the demise of the history forum will start getting intimate jpegs of me in their inbox- the variety of which they'd probably cross continents in broken glass slippers to avoid. You have been warned.
          We have a history forum?
          ~ If Tehben spits eggs at you, jump on them and throw them back. ~ Eventis ~ Eventis Dungeons & Dragons 6th Age Campaign: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4: (Unspeakable) Horror on the Hill ~

Comment

Re: Re: the History forum

Originally posted by lord of the mark
            my initial expectation was that it would be used as a dumping ground for threads in on-topic forums, mainly Civ 4 forums, that have gone hopelessly off topic into history areas

you know "Civ A shouldnt have power X, cause its unbalancing and they never really had it"

"yes they did"

"Historian P says they didnt"

"well Historian P is a commie, historian Q said, and I quote ......"

Moderator: MOVED to history forum, BANG!

Either there have been few such threads in the on topic forums, or the on topic mods arent doing their jobs, cause I havent seen ANY such threads appear in the history subforum.

I dont think anyone expected that deliberately started history threads alone would carry it.
            Actually I did suggest that to the admins... but it was not accepted .
            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
            - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by joncha

We have a history forum?
              No, it's all an evil plot.
              Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
              I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
              Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Can someone fix the poll options to say "I object to ..."?
                THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Originally posted by Nikolai
                  No, it's all an evil sub-plot.
                  Fixed.
                  Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                  RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

I understand the need to segregate the sports threads, since some of them (drafts, playoff contests etc) require quick and easy access over time, which is difficult when threads drop from the first page. Much like Other Games. The other stuff doesn't seem to have such a need AFAICT.

Just a thought: Can the subfora be coded to show threads as dropdowns within the main OT? I always hesitate to ask for coding projects on a volunteer site, but as I said -- it's just a thought.

Another thought: Can we have a Vicious Personal Attack sub-forum where LOTM, Asher, and anyone who wants to can troll away without fear of banning? The only condition is that they would have to be civil on the rest of the site. We could read it for amusement, they can have their fun. Everyone wins.
                    Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                    RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Originally posted by -Jrabbit

Fixed.
                      Thanks.
                      Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                      I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                      Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Originally posted by -Jrabbit
                        I understand the need to segregate the sports threads, since some of them (drafts, playoff contests etc) require quick and easy access over time, which is difficult when threads drop from the first page. Much like Other Games. The other stuff doesn't seem to have such a need AFAICT.

Just a thought: Can the subfora be coded to show threads as dropdowns within the main OT? I always hesitate to ask for coding projects on a volunteer site, but as I said -- it's just a thought.

Another thought: Can we have a Vicious Personal Attack sub-forum where LOTM, Asher, and anyone who wants to can troll away without fear of banning? The only condition is that they would have to be civil on the rest of the site. We could read it for amusement, they can have their fun. Everyone wins.
                        LOL.

But as I hope you know, I wouldnt read it, or post to it.
                        "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

I am not in favour of this idea. Wiglaf is right, the amount of user activity on Apolyton is not high enough to create sub-topics such as Technology, Sports and even History.

I just wanted to post my observation that the Off-Topic is beginning to die down a bit or maybe even a lot. Especially compared to the past few years.

My opinion is that if you continue to do this, you may lower your user activity to a point that the forums appear dead, effectively destroying the forums all together, as people only post/create threads knowing others will post, if people begin to feel the chance of people posting/getting a wide range of response is low, the less likely people will start threads, it's only logical.

I suggest you immediately save yourself and delete the sports and technology forums; leave the history one as historians like to keep things nice and orderly and boring.

I've been coming to Apolyton since DanQ opened his civ site and MarkG opened his and I have been posting in the forum since the beginning, so my gut feeling coupled with my long experience here can't be too off the mark.
                          Last edited by FrostyBoy; July 13, 2007, 23:05.
                          be free

Comment

Sn00py

Comment

Working...
                            X