Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

uanmi, I think that Locutus tried to say that it's known that the list has all kinds of errors but that they're just too lazy to fix it

The reason most probably is that if they start fixing the list, about 5045 (random nr) members of the site will jump in and tell them to change 90% of the flags, rename 95% of the nations, include 395 other nations and remove another 34959 nations.

The current status quo is just the best.
    A world war might break out when they start changing the flag-list!!!

Conclusion: you are right but it's not going to change anything
    Formerly known as "CyberShy"
    Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

At least it has my favourite country.

Sikkim
      ~ If Tehben spits eggs at you, jump on them and throw them back. ~ Eventis ~ Eventis Dungeons & Dragons 6th Age Campaign: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4: (Unspeakable) Horror on the Hill ~

Comment

SIKKIM!!

Comment

Originally posted by CyberShy
          uanmi, I think that Locutus tried to say that it's known that the list has all kinds of errors but that they're just too lazy to fix it

The reason most probably is that if they start fixing the list, about 5045 (random nr) members of the site will jump in and tell them to change 90% of the flags, rename 95% of the nations, include 395 other nations and remove another 34959 nations.

The current status quo is just the best.
          Thank you CyberShy... that pretty much sums it up.
          As the original poster pointed out, and what is apparent to all of us... this is a gaming site. The flags and countries that came with the software have been pretty much left alone, because it takes time to make changes.
          We feel that our time is better spent on things that have more effect on the games we cover and the communities we serve.

And yes, if we started making changes, then we would have to make MANY... It's not worth the time.

But thank you for you interest in the site. We are NOT making a political statement, we just have better things to do
          Keep on Civin'
          RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Imagine the thousands of threads about the question if Palastinia is a sovereign nation..........!

Not to mention the Belgiums who'll out of the sudden claim to be an independant nation
            Formerly known as "CyberShy"
            Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

Originally posted by uanmi
              I think that the information on the website is great.

What I cannot understand is that in the registration list the country "Australia - Aboriginal" exists.

I looked and I did not see USA - Indian
              I also did not see any other aboriginal or native listed

The Abos were given a flag to represent them by whitey. Whitey didn't make flags to represent any First Nations in North America.

Plus the Abos were more or less one culture, whereas Injuns (I use the Twain vernacular merely to distiguish from natives of the Subcontinent) were dozens of cultures and you'd need dozens of flags or other symbols.

Not only that, they'd need to be flags or symbols officially recognized by the councils or ruling elders of the respective tribes. Logistical nightmare, that.
              (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
              (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
              (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

No... according to the new Civ 4 expansion, there is only one Native American culture.
                ~ If Tehben spits eggs at you, jump on them and throw them back. ~ Eventis ~ Eventis Dungeons & Dragons 6th Age Campaign: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4: (Unspeakable) Horror on the Hill ~

Comment

Atleast the leader isn't Pocahontas.
                  Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

I've moved this thread to the "Apolyton" forum.
                    Who the hell gave CyberShy mod access to this place? What is the world coming to
                    Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Not to mention the Belgiums who'll out of the sudden claim to be an independant nation

Comment

Comment

Don't worry, as soon as we can shed the south and you ask nicely, we might even let you join Flanders (or Antwerp as it will be known as ).

hint: to improve your chances, stop producing "beer" (if ever a term is loosely used, this must be it).
                          Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                          Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by Ming

Thank you CyberShy... that pretty much sums it up.
                            As the original poster pointed out, and what is apparent to all of us... this is a gaming site. The flags and countries that came with the software have been pretty much left alone, because it takes time to make changes.
                            We feel that our time is better spent on things that have more effect on the games we cover and the communities we serve.

And yes, if we started making changes, then we would have to make MANY... It's not worth the time.

But thank you for you interest in the site. We are NOT making a political statement, we just have better things to do
                            On the other hand you guys could just update vBulletin finally, and the new version would probably have an updated flag list already packaged into it.
                            Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Originally posted by OzzyKP
                              On the other hand you guys could just update vBulletin finally, and the new version would probably have an updated flag list already packaged into it.
                              That costs money
                              In addition, I think there are a lot of hacks that have been created for this site which wouldn't work in the new version and would have to be created again.

But those are technical issues... Talk to Locutus
                              Keep on Civin'
                              RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by OzzyKP
                                The flag list is a hack, it's not a part of the default vB install. Even a forum upgrade wouldn't update the flag list. In fact it would break it since the code probably isn't compatible with the latest vB.

There might be a new/updated hack that does the same thing for the latest vB but upgrading the forums with our massively, massively customised existing software is a GIGANTIC operation that with our limited staff resources would take months to prepare and implement -- frankly, it's rather doubtful if it's worth the effort it would take. I would like for it to happen some day but other things have a much higher priority and considering the scope of the project it may never materialise, so don't get your hopes up for now...
                                Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

Working...
                                X