X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let's go greenfield then

Comment

Why do we name 'changes' or 'customizations' hacks overhere? A hack is something that an outsider does by breaking the code.
      Formerly known as "CyberShy"
      Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

That's because these are hacks . These changes are to the vB software by outside people, not vB devs, who write their own code...
        Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
        I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Didn't you guys find the time to delete the Taiwanese flag???
          "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

...vB but upgrading the forums with our massively...

You're going to have to do it at some point though, right? So the more (still added) hacks included in this one, the more work later.
            Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
            Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by Solver
              That's because these are hacks . These changes are to the vB software by outside people, not vB devs, who write their own code...
              I get that, but you just don't call that a 'hack'.
              you call that customization.

I have oftenly changed code of other companies to suit the application for a specific customer.

Comment

When they are of the quality of these, they are "hacks"

More specifically, I would suggest that a "customization" is a one-person or team led effort to modify a software to a customer's specific needs. A "hack" is one particular modification to a software among many, any given several of which might be used by any given user, and not tested for interoperability etc. "Widget" would be a more polite term for them, but frankly "hack" is a perfectly accurate word for them. It's not our fault that "hacker" has attained a negative meaning among certain circles; once upon a time, "hacker" meant nothing in relation to illegal activities at all, but simply one who creates hacks = on-the-fly workarounds, customizations, etc.
                <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Ok, perhaps I'm working in a too well organised structures to know that kinds of terms

Comment

Probably

For me, the company I work for now runs its computers on Win98 hacked to have some NT like features.

/me cries
                    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

It's called hack for historical reasons. When the concept of forum hacks was invented for UBB (the predecessor to vB) back in 1995ish, terms like customisation or modification didn't exist yet (or at least not in reference to online scripts). And one could say it was quite accurate at the time as the designers of UBB probably didn't intend for their software to be as heavily modified by their users as it ended being and there certainly wasn't any kind of official support for it (unlike now), these early hacks genuinely *were* hacks.

In addition, the entire forum code base is so frakking ugly and disorganised the entire system can rightfully be called a hack...

And indeed, the terms "hack" and "hacker" are very versatile, they can refer to many different things depending on the context. Edsger Dijkstra, Linus Torvalds, K&R and the like are generally considered hackers but as far as we know they were never involved in the unauthorised breaking into systems. Only the mainstream media have solely associated hackers and hacking with such activities and given the term a purely negative connotation to the general public (even though even those kinds of hackers are invaluable to society if they chose to share their findings).
                      Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

Originally posted by Kuken
                        the following countries' flags should be updated:

- afghanistan
                        - serbia
                        - montenegro

thnakoyu
                        Yes, and we also need

- frog
                        - crying
                        - vomit

smileys. And Heressons 500 posts back. So much to do, so little time...

thknaouy

Comment

Seborga
                          ~ If Tehben spits eggs at you, jump on them and throw them back. ~ Eventis ~ Eventis Dungeons & Dragons 6th Age Campaign: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4: (Unspeakable) Horror on the Hill ~

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Ralph

Yes, and we also need

- frog
                            - crying
                            - vomit

smileys. And Heressons 500 posts back. So much to do, so little time...

thknaouy
                            While we are allways looking forward to giving our community the best, many, many discussions and many many responses have been given.

Sir Ralph, I would like you to know we are currently considering a frog smiley and a crying smiley. The Vomit Smiley has been deemed inappropriate at this current time.

If you dont mind, last I heared we were looking for a crying smiley and a frog smiley. If you have such, could you please expedite sending me via PM a few choices, I promise that I will review and do my level best to get one approved that is deemed appropriate

Now, Herreson's posts, not sure exactly what happened to them, my assistant is a toad(so therefor any response he gives wont be accepted), and having read responses by the community, toads have been labeled, fairly or not, as not meeting the minimum acceptance criteria for the frag gallery

Be well and thanks for all you do for Poly
                            Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

Cry
                              Attached Files
                              (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
                              (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
                              (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

Boohoo
                                Attached Files
                                (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
                                (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
                                (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

Working...
                                X