This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lancer
    bongo, are you sure you're not my DL? You would tell me wouldn't you?
    "who can tell?" and nope

Hm, I have a cousin who sometimes call himself "lance" but last time I checked he was in Perth, Australia, not Oregon, USA...
    Don't eat the yellow snow.

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy the Scot

my question, if the admins/mods like to be spoken to with respect by the community members that make this site active, why is it so hard for them to treat the very community members with the same respect?

This is a fair and honest question, I too as Gramps wrote respect the site and the job the Mods have to do. Im self employed run my own business and employ people so I understand a bit about management.

Sometimes things go wrong, stuff happens but I always try to remain respectful to whomsoever it is Im dealing with regardless of the action im taking.

I still enjoy Apolyton but mainly due to a very good circle of likeminded friends I play demo games and PBEM's with, many here make me cringe, and if it were not for those friendships there would be no incentive at all to come here.

I do hope Apolyton can grow and develop itself into a truly global community
      A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.

Comment

Is there any change the rules will be updated to reflect current standards among mods and admins?

Not to mention tightening up those standards so we can except uniform behaviour from mods.

Here's the rules section from one of my other favourite sites btw. http://www.diskusjon.no/index.php?act=SR&f=60
        It's in norwegian but even the non-speakers will see the list is relatively short, the full list has 17 paragraphs while the summary only has 15 items. Not all of which is relevant to this site of course.

Comment

my question, if the admins/mods like to be spoken to with respect by the community members that make this site active, why is it so hard for them to treat the very community members with the same respect?
          Have you ever had a hate site set up against you...
          Have you been threatened with physical harm...
          Your family threatened...
          Threats to have you fired at work...
          Your email accounts spammed...
          Your home network hacked and infected with viruses...
          A typical pm to you starts off with **** you or I'm going to kill you...

If you answered yes to ALL those questions, then you know what the mods put up with.

If you break the rules, don't expect to be treated with kid gloves. Expect to be treated as a rules breaker.
          Keep on Civin'
          RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

my question, if the admins/mods like to be spoken to with respect by the community members that make this site active
            i never asked for anyone's respect, let alone to be spoken with respect....
            Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
            Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
            giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Originally posted by Ming
              If you break the rules, don't expect to be treated with kid gloves. Expect to be treated as a rules breaker.
              Give us rules then.

Telling someone "you have violated site rule number..." is so much better than "I don't like your last post" or "DO AS THE ADMIN TELL YOU".

It will not solve all your problems but it will solve some of them. Enough I think to make it worth the effort.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkG
                i never asked for anyone's respect, let alone to be spoken with respect....
                interesting, ok then
                Gurka 17, People of the Valley
                I am of the Horde.

Comment

Originally posted by bongo
                  Give us rules then.

Telling someone "you have violated site rule number..." is so much better than "I don't like your last post" or "DO AS THE ADMIN TELL YOU".
                  Besides the fact that the FAQ clearly states that you should use common sense in your posting...

Frankly, this is a privately owned site. And the owners are within their rights to tell you what to do... It is their site
                  Keep on Civin'

Comment

Have you ever had a hate site set up against you...
                    Have you been threatened with physical harm...
                    Your family threatened...
                    Threats to have you fired at work...
                    Your email accounts spammed...
                    Your home network hacked and infected with viruses...
                    A typical pm to you starts off with **** you or I'm going to kill you...

If you answered yes to ALL those questions, then you know what the mods put up with.

no I can not answer yes to all of these questions

but I know you and I have shared many a pm on this and other issues over the past 8 months...

and I know that their certainly is a great deal of heat that can come across in the words that are used in pm's

Mark you an owner, Ming you are a mod, me I am neither an owner or a mod, but I am part of the community, just like all the others that post here and elsewhere... can we not have some peace, some clear understanding?
                    I am of the Horde.

Comment

Besides the fact that the FAQ clearly states that you should use common sense in your posting...

Frankly, this is a privately owned site. And the owners are within their rights to tell you what to do... It is their site

the FAQ statement on common sense is very open ended, 6500 people from a many different people groups, many regions, many ways of life... could that not be tightened then? made more clear?

and yes it is a privately owned site, and used by a community of people, sure would not get much attention if only the owners were here, oh well with you as well Ming

I know you and the other mods do put in a great deal of "free" time to keep the place rolling along, like the Union Pacific, the tracks do not maintain themselves... yet so to the regular passengers do take some pride in the place, and invite / encourage others in participating... basically I am saying that the owners/admins/mods are not the only ones participating... some even pay for the happy privilige to help keep the show on the rails... and yes they get benefits

Long Live Plus

Long Live Community

Long Live Apolyton
                      I am of the Horde.

Comment

Well, common sense is not that common

Both in the way that some people temporarly misplace it, and that common sense vary from place to place. This being an international site, some things *need* to be clearly stated to avoid mishaps.

The "privately owned site" quote also mean they can run it into the ground if that's what they want, after all, they are in their full right.

What I am suggesting is merely ways to improve the site, making both users and admins happier

Comment

The site rules are clear to anyone that has posted here for a while.

If you are a noob, then you get breaks (polite messages from mods instead of flames).

If you get on the "bad list" you will be banned for doing anything mildly bad (or even really bad things like photoshopping posters' heads onto pictures of Hitler). It is possible to get off the bad list, and I am proof of that.

In the end, it's an internet site and being banned from it is not the end of the world. Just gives us real men more time to spend at ratemyjugs.com or whatever it is called.
                          Only feebs vote.

Comment

Originally posted by bongo

Well, common sense is not that common

Both in the way that some people temporarly misplace it, and that common sense vary from place to place. This being an international site, some things *need* to be clearly stated to avoid mishaps.
                            The rules were written in general terms in the first place to avoid the ole... "you don't specifically say we can't kill people" so why should a murder of an admin get me restricted There is NO way we can cover every specific example of what would be considered wrong.
                            The more specific the rules, the more people can play the legal eagle game of saying "that specifically isn't covered"...

I will however admit that some Unwritten rules that are currently uniformily enforced that most people know, should be added. And we are in the process of doing just that, and have been preparing such an update long before this subject came up in this thread.

The "privately owned site" quote also mean they can run it into the ground if that's what they want, after all, they are in their full right.

What I am suggesting is merely ways to improve the site, making both users and admins happier
                            Civil suggestions are always welcome... But I think some people forget that this is a private site, and membership is a privilege, not a right. When you sign up, you agree to follow the rules of the site... even plus members are told that they must follow the rules of the site... and one of those rules is to do as the admin and mods say...

Again, there is no way the rules can cover every situation, and the owners have the right to enforce any rules they so do desire. While there will always be people that disagree... (and they are welcome to their opinion) it's not their site. Yes, it is a community, and it would be different if some people weren't here... but their would be NO community if Markos and Dan didn't create it, and maintain it.
                            Keep on Civin'

Comment

interesting, ok then
                              you've been here for 5 years. when you did you see me act in a different way?

Comment

Mark you an owner...

can we not have some peace, some clear understanding?
                                since when are we at war?!?

Comment

Working...
                                X