This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bongo

Whatever ****list I'm on or was on, welcome to it pal.
    Long time member @ Apolyton
    Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Originally posted by Lancer
      bongo

Whatever ****list I'm on or was on, welcome to it pal.
      Lancer you ocviously have no idea what Horde is
      A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.

Comment

Cheers Lancer

My suggestion is not indended to make life more difficult for admins, quite the contrary. By having clear rules, users will know what is viewed as bad behaviour without learning it the hard way. This alone should save the admins some work. Not to mention that arguments with offenders may be shorter and less painful if you can say "so sayeth the rules" rather than "just because", which seems to be the current favourite.

BTW, anyone looking at a rule thinking "that's so obvious they didn't really have to write it down" is wrong. The background of the users vary wildly. Different country, language, culture, education, occupation, religion etc... Very little is obvious to all, if anything is important enough to punish a user over, write it down.
        Don't eat the yellow snow.

Comment

Originally posted by bongo
          *Don't ask questions about the sites banning policy
          HUH? how was banned for asking a question on policies? i really wonder...
          Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
          Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
          giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Originally posted by MarkG
            I wasn't banned but my thread was deleted. Noone has told me why yet, only that it was "no surprise", well, it was to me.

Comment

Mark

I believe he was talking about a thread that was deleted this past week

He was looking for someone who hadnt been around and was asking if there was a "banned members list" so if anyone was looking for someone, they could check there.

Then the thread was deleted.
              Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

Yeah, that's the one. I still wonder why the thread was deleted...

Comment

Originally posted by Grandpa Troll
                  He was looking for someone who hadnt been around and was asking if there was a "banned members list" so if anyone was looking for someone, they could check there.

Then the thread was deleted.
                  In the case of the question being asked in as an "innocent" manner as it described, the thread only needed a single word answer ("no") and a closure rather than deletion

That said, this doesnt mean that a specific rule that we need to have in the FAQ, nor can we cover everything in the FAQ.

For the record, asking for cracks/warez doesnt get you banned either, just gets your thread closed or deleted. Of course if you persist in such a behaviour it's obvious you're going to be banned. It's more or less covered in "violative of any laws" term of the sign-up during registration but we will be adding a note about this in the FAQ soon....
                  Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
                  Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
                  giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

maybe someone put something in it inappropriate, after we posted?

But then the post should have been deleted?

I dont think it was out of line, asking a question?

But then again posts deleted in past, when asked, was told no reason was needed, which it really doesnt need a reason because Im not trying to start anything, I been blown out of water for things that arent listed, learned my lesson and moved on.

Comment

That said, this doesnt mean that a specific rule that we need to have in the FAQ, nor can we cover everything in the FAQ.
                      But you can cover more than you do now. Too much is based on any admins personal taste or "unwritten rules"

Like the warez bit, a no-cd crack is actually legal where I live provided I own the game already, how am I supposed to know the admins here don't like it when it's not in the rules?

I am certain there are other examples as well but these are the ones I can think of right now.

Take a look at other sites and see how they handle it...

Comment

Hmm no CD cracks, unrelated to Civ but im on my third copy of Rome Total war as the first two game disks actually got cracks, real ones !

Would be nice to be able to play the game without needing to load the disk every time, especially as activision in there infinite wisdom designed the CD box in such a way that its very easy to damage and crack the disc when getting it out of its case ! twice even !
                        A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.

Comment

yes it would be good to know... saves getting "read respond or be restricted" when you not sure what is going on and have persisted in something that you then find has freaked out a mod who pm's you with steam flowing out of the pc...
                          Gurka 17, People of the Valley
                          I am of the Horde.

Comment

But I would like to thank you Markos for this excellent site.

I actually, being a manager, understand how gray areas get blurred and sometimes things are allowed and sometimes not.

I think the mods have a very difficult time and do the best they can.

The ownership does an excellent job with my favorite site

Please dont shoot me, I am a messenger.......

/me winces and hope he dont get beat like a rented mule for this remark

I am a Deacon at our church. we do three years on mandatory one year break before eligible to be voted back active.

The reason is it is a stressful and emotionally draining position to hold, in addition to the secular call of your vocation.

Sometimes Mods seemed to be stressed out a little. Understandably so, but that is probably the underlying "concern"

Ok

Please dont hate me or think I am being negative, just sharing as amember of the peanut galley.

I love Apolyton and respect the weight of the office that admins carry.

Grandpa Troll

Comment

"Too much is based on any admins personal taste"

bongo, are you sure you're not my DL? You would tell me wouldn't you?
                              Long time member @ Apolyton
                              Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

well this is a privately owned site, that has public access to most people of many nations...

the way I understand it is that any can join whenever they like, and that they may at some stage face a vetting process, but this does not happen at once, nor for all.

is quite interesting the whole situation, site registered in the US, I believe, owners in 2 countries, admin/mods from many others

a set of rules that must be followed, even if that means the admin/mods can make them up as they go, and that the admin/mods answer only to the two owners

then we have the people that make up the community, the people that come here often, share the spirit of the place, share in many games, and other activities. who they are, where they from is vast.

we know Registered Members: 81532

also it is approximated that of this 6500 with more than 10 post, thus could be considered active in some way shape or form

I suppose that there are many lurkers within the other 75000 members, just watching, learning, laughing and lurking

so we have 122006 threads and 3956735 posts in total as of today

that is approx 609 posts each... yeah some with a few more some with a few less

my question, if the admins/mods like to be spoken to with respect by the community members that make this site active, why is it so hard for them to treat the very community members with the same respect?
                                Gurka 17, People of the Valley
                                I am of the Horde.

Comment

Working...
                                X